Govt confirms no old car taxes

rooster59

Govt confirms no old car taxes

Tanakorn Sangiam

b43cb7a952d57bf10416e9752d709bbb_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT) - The government has confirmed it currently has no plan to impose taxes on old cars, describing the rumor as only a suggestion from the private sector.

The Government Spokesperson Narumon Pinyosinwat has revealed the government currently has no policy to impose taxes on cars older than 10 years, stressing that the implementation of such a plan would require extensive studies of its potential effects.

The government however sees the necessity for owners of old cars, both private and public vehicles, to ensure proper maintenance to reduce the emission of black exhaust smoke and PM 2.5 airborne dust, says the government spokesperson, reiterating the government will give all ideas well-rounded consideration before implementing any policy while minimizing any negative effects faced by the general public.

Annual vehicle taxes will remain the same for now, calculated on the engine size for private sedans; at a flat rate per vehicle for private and public motorcycles, container trucks, road rollers, and farm tractors; and per weight for private cars seating more than seven passengers, private trucks, public sedans, and private electric cars.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-12-14

The other day i saw 1980 Toyota corolla taxi running around Sukhumvit rd, the car and the guy who was driving it saw better days and ready for the scrap heap, most  and the worst air polluters in this country are those decrapped old buses and ancient trucks belching black smoke even when idling, start with these and continue from there...

I see pickups that have the sides on the trays tied together due to being rusted out quite often, they actually swing away from the trays while they are moving, they struggle to get any speed especially if the road is on a rise and the amount of smoke they emit is huge. Some of the cars you see should not be allowed on the roads as they are simply not safe to the driver or other road users but the police do nothing, the govt needs to set limits on what is allowed on the roads, all these old junk heaps need to be removed along with the old buses and trucks that are obviously unsafe as well as blowing big amounts of smoke

Well the money for a fleet of new low emission buses for all of Bangkok and the genourous subsidies to private country bus companies to upgrade the rusting smoke billowing junk they are using is earmarked for some thing less useful and very costly to run....if you're thinking underwater boat aka submarine your on the money!  And those old and not so old trucks belching smoke.....tell the owners to rebuild the engine or they will be put off the road and fined. It can't be that hard if they get the cops to do their job.

3 hours ago, seajae said:

I see pickups that have the sides on the trays tied together due to being rusted out quite often, they actually swing away from the trays while they are moving, they struggle to get any speed especially if the road is on a rise and the amount of smoke they emit is huge. Some of the cars you see should not be allowed on the roads as they are simply not safe to the driver or other road users but the police do nothing, the govt needs to set limits on what is allowed on the roads, all these old junk heaps need to be removed along with the old buses and trucks that are obviously unsafe as well as blowing big amounts of smoke

Absolutely right. 

You should write a letter to Prayuth. Obviously he doesn't know.????

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:
8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

...such a plan would require extensive studies of its potential effects.

Since when has any government, Thailand or any other considered whether a law (or tax) would actually accomplish what was intended. Isn't just about if the intentions are good or not?

My Toyota Vigo is 12 Years old. It is regularly maintained, it does not belch smoke, has good brakes etc., and no rusted out parts. It has been resprayed once, mainly to eradicate the many dings imposed upon it by others of a less than competent driving standard, nod nod wink wink.

Why should I pay more tax because Somchais' truck belches out fumes, his motocy is clapped out, or BMA buses cause cancer?

There should be an annually strict complete vehicle test for all cars older than 3 years.(not these current tests)

All cars that don't pass these strict tests will be no longer allowed back on the roads.

its very simple and it improves air quality and road safety and brings jobs and revenues.

8 hours ago, Grusa said:

My Toyota Vigo is 12 Years old. It is regularly maintained, it does not belch smoke, has good brakes etc., and no rusted out parts. It has been resprayed once, mainly to eradicate the many dings imposed upon it by others of a less than competent driving standard, nod nod wink wink.

Why should I pay more tax because Somchais' truck belches out fumes, his motocy is clapped out, or BMA buses cause cancer?

Exactly, this new vehicle thing has been planted by vested interests. Decades ago an I watched on TV, an environmentalist who suggested vehicles should be engineered to a very high quality, with a 25year+ design life and be 90% recycle capable components. Don't see that happening.

My car in the UK falls a couple of grams into a higher emission band, and the road tax is expensive per mile. It took perhaps 2000000g of carbon emissions to manufacture, and on its current mileage has emitted less than 30000g of carbon per year. It is still in showroom condition (apart from a couple of car park scuffs by others). The average grams per year reduces the longer we use it. Better than rewarding the planet with a 1700000g surge for getting a  new car (that would only be marginally better in it's recycle qualities, and still not be engineered with the suggested life span (suggested all those years ago).

We run one hybrid and one 1.2l eco car here in Thailand, and do have them maintained, e.g. Change the oil! I wander if the owners of  these belching machines, ever changed the oil.

Tax should perhaps be on fuel, if it is going to be relevant and proportional (oh yes they do that as well).

13 hours ago, Grusa said:

I still have my old Nissan NV 22 yrs old no smoke, starts every-time, keep it maintained, only car i will let my missus drive :cheesy:

On 12/14/2019 at 9:05 AM, ezzra said:

The other day i saw 1980 Toyota corolla taxi running around Sukhumvit rd, the car and the guy who was driving it saw better days and ready for the scrap heap, most  and the worst air polluters in this country are those decrapped old buses and ancient trucks belching black smoke even when idling, start with these and continue from there...

I know him. He's always at Ekkamai. 

On 12/14/2019 at 9:05 AM, ezzra said:

The other day i saw 1980 Toyota corolla taxi running around Sukhumvit rd, the car and the guy who was driving it saw better days and ready for the scrap heap, most and the worst air polluters in this country are those decrapped old buses and ancient trucks belching black smoke even when idling, start with these and continue from there...

Indeed the only reason they consider this tax is to drive the economy for new cars. They have NO intention of removing old or unfit vehicles from the road - the number of scrap heaps used to transport workers to factories to keep the owners rich is fantastic.

I also learned something about school vans recently - the schools are completely without responsibility as the vans bearing the name of the school are also paid directly from customers and not run by schools, so schools aren't wrong to allow them to run overloaded or unroadworthy...

The way this is managed in England starts with police - they'll spot any vehicle without a valid tax disc in the window. You can't get a tax disk without having a valid MoT inspection certificate - in effect, older cars aren't taxed - but the maintenance required to pass the MoT makes them a liability to be scrapped.

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Indeed the only reason they consider this tax is to drive the economy for new cars. They have NO intention of removing old or unfit vehicles from the road - the number of scrap heaps used to transport workers to factories to keep the owners rich is fantastic.

I also learned something about school vans recently - the schools are completely without responsibility as the vans bearing the name of the school are also paid directly from customers and not run by schools, so schools aren't wrong to allow them to run overloaded or unroadworthy...

The way this is managed in England starts with police - they'll spot any vehicle without a valid tax disc in the window. You can't get a tax disk without having a valid MoT inspection certificate - in effect, older cars aren't taxed - but the maintenance required to pass the MoT makes them a liability to be scrapped.

IIRC there are NO tax discs on vehicles in the UK since 01 October 2014. Most police cars use the enforcement of the taxation now being done through the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system.

Archived