Please find this brilliant foreigner - he saved a Thai life!

rooster59

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

A THAI life, that makes all the difference

You know that is Rooster, the TVF word/headline right?

The original Thai article not talk about save a “Thai” life. Have different headline.

She just say wonderful foreigner saved her boyfriends father. 

9 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Looks like Marko, but not him. Marko wears glasses now and looks older than this guy.

I do have to say Marko is a great guy, he works during the day and volunteers at night. He has been a volunteer for about 19 years in Thailand. 

Glad there are guys like this ready to help if needed!!   

3 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Great to see, since I don't think a Thai person would save a foreigner's life.

so Thai lifeguards pulling people out of the sea never happened? Or, how about emergency services helping road accident victims? Nurse? Doctors? Just people on the street who help foreigners.... do I need to go on?

Nice to see humanity is still alive.   

The Thai haters abound here on IO issues, rip offs, the government, the police, the terrible drivers, etc... 

Then there is a post like this one and everyone comes together in praise, brings a tear to my eye :clap2: 

17 hours ago, rwill said:

About 5 years ago I rescued a young girl that was drowning.  No one else had noticed her.  She had gone completely under by the time I reached her.  It felt weird knowing that someone was alive because of your actions.  The man that brought the children to the reservoir never said thanks just started yelling at her and walked off. 

Same happened to me in OZ. The one i rescued in Thailand came running up to me next day on the beach and gave me a wai ....in the days before internet.

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

so Thai lifeguards pulling people out of the sea never happened? Or, how about emergency services helping road accident victims? Nurse? Doctors? Just people on the street who help foreigners.... do I need to go on?

This was a member of the public albeit a foreigner before emergency services arrived !!!!!

17 hours ago, natway09 said:

Here is hoping that more Thais will learn this technique.

I would be more than happy to teach them

In OZ it is part of the driving test to know first aid aka ; DR ABC.  check Danger to yourself, Response, Airways, Breathing, CPR.

16 hours ago, Europeanguy said:

It is a pathetic comment which has no place in a public forum. A man who jokes about another man's life is a man who doesn't even respect himself.  Open a different topic is you are so unhappy here in Thailand.

10 positive reactions to my comment from those who saw it for what it was. But I wondered if there’d be one confected offence taking virtue signaler pompously pontificating from his ivory tower.....and here you are.

22 hours ago, dutchweller said:

I literally just finished dealing with a medical emergency on the BTS

middle aged lady standing beside me passed out and hit her head very hard.

She began having a fit.

I had to administer first aid and make sure she was safe until we could get medical attention..

Unfortunately everyone else just pulled out mobile and took photos and video..

No one would help me assist her.

I had to man handle her off the BTS at siam..

The medics said she was having a seizure from a stroke..she was not in a good way when I left her.

Sad sad state of society we live in..glad I'm leaving..

It's not just Thailand that happens. I've seen many vid clips of people in distress from all over and peoples reactions are to video it. A sad state of affairs.

19 hours ago, VBF said:

As it happens, I did a CPR course 3 weeks ago, at a NHS (UK) hospital Cardiology Dept.

This is the current training https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life/how-to-do-cpr  There's a link to the training video in there too.

What they taught us was exactly as per the link

Thank you.

And that looks a sensible way as someone needs air to live and the chest compressions create some circulation; same as what I learned at SLRG as part of my life guard training.

Even got a mask for giving ventilations in my first aid kit.

19 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I have done maybe 10 first aid courses in Australia over 50 years and now they tell me it is wrong. Apparently you do not ventilate anymore, just chest compressions.

But from all of the changes that i have been through over those 50 years they will change it again.

Strange, isn't it. One would think that the air blown into the lungs followed by chest compressions brings at least a little bit of oxigen to the body

14 hours ago, atyclb said:

cpr is not without risk. but greater risk if it is not done

Yes.

If no one is helping by taking turns it is even less pleasurable to administer, but it needs to be done.

Just hope ambulance is coming soon.

1 hour ago, KKr said:
16 hours ago, atyclb said:

cpr is not without risk. but greater risk if it is not done

Yes.

If no one is helping by taking turns it is even less pleasurable to administer, but it needs to be done.

Just hope ambulance is coming soon.

rule is when exhausted can stop.  in hospital codes usually by 20 minutes stopped if no response unless hypothermic

13 hours ago, Kohkah said:

Would he still be a hero if the Thai lady would have died during his CPR or would he be blamed and sent to jail?

That's the problem!

When I did my CPR course to which I referred earlier, we were told, in no uncertain terms, that in UK, the law is that if you really try and help someone, and they later die despite your good efforts, there is no possibility of blame being attached to you.

However, when I worked in Saudi, years ago, there we had to do First Aid and CPR courses, but were told NOT to help a local, because, if we did and the victim died, the family could come after the last person who touched the victim and demand Blood Money.

I don't know what the law in Thailand says about it - possibly someone like @Sheryl or even @Badbankermight know? Sheryl's very knowledgeable about medical issues, and I believe that BB knows Thai law quite well (?)

Finally, ignoring the legal issues for a moment, the Cardiac Nurse who trained me, made it very clear that "when a person shows no signs of life or when they are unconscious, unresponsive, not breathing or not breathing normally" they need CPR unless medical professionals are available.

At that stage THERE IS NOTHING TO LOSE BY PERFORMING CPR Even if, say, you crack one of the victim's ribs, what's better for them .....living and needing a rib fixed, or dieing?

Not hard to work out really, is it?

1 hour ago, VBF said:

That's the problem!

When I did my CPR course to which I referred earlier, we were told, in no uncertain terms, that in UK, the law is that if you really try and help someone, and they later die despite your good efforts, there is no possibility of blame being attached to you.

However, when I worked in Saudi, years ago, there we had to do First Aid and CPR courses, but were told NOT to help a local, because, if we did and the victim died, the family could come after the last person who touched the victim and demand Blood Money.

I don't know what the law in Thailand says about it - possibly someone like @Sheryl or even @Badbankermight know? Sheryl's very knowledgeable about medical issues, and I believe that BB knows Thai law quite well (?)

Finally, ignoring the legal issues for a moment, the Cardiac Nurse who trained me, made it very clear that "when a person shows no signs of life or when they are unconscious, unresponsive, not breathing or not breathing normally" they need CPR unless medical professionals are available.

At that stage THERE IS NOTHING TO LOSE BY PERFORMING CPR Even if, say, you crack one of the victim's ribs, what's better for them .....living and needing a rib fixed, or dieing?

Not hard to work out really, is it?

RE - However, when I worked in Saudi, years ago, there we had to do First Aid and CPR courses, but were told NOT to help a local, because, if we did and the victim died, the family could come after the last person who touched the victim and demand Blood Money.

* In a way similar to Angola. When I worked there I was told to always look the other way because If I first started to help I would be held responsible for eventually consequential costs such as treatment and/or funeral ......

14 hours ago, VBF said:

my colleagues, who studied Law, told me not to worry about that.
i.e. they would take care in case. 
However, indeed, the existence of the possibility was not denied.

7 hours ago, KKr said:

my colleagues, who studied Law, told me not to worry about that.
i.e. they would take care in case. 
However, indeed, the existence of the possibility was not denied.

I presume you mean Thailand, not Saudi, as you replied to my comment about the latter.

Regardless, and assuming you do, "they would take care in case" is not that reassuring considering the level of corruption present...allegedly :unsure: 

6 hours ago, VBF said:

I presume you mean Thailand, not Saudi, as you replied to my comment about the latter.

Regardless, and assuming you do, "they would take care in case" is not that reassuring considering the level of corruption present...allegedly :unsure: 

In KSA such promise was solid.

I don't know about Thailand. As I've been told from a reliable source, in Th school kids are told not to touch a victim.

The reliable source stayed in the car those cases when I made a traffic victim feel less uncomfortable while waiting for ambulance ( broken bones is something I was taught to put in a temporary bandage, but only in case no ambulance were available.)

On 12/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, dutchweller said:

I literally just finished dealing with a medical emergency on the BTS

middle aged lady standing beside me passed out and hit her head very hard.

She began having a fit.

I had to administer first aid and make sure she was safe until we could get medical attention..

Unfortunately everyone else just pulled out mobile and took photos and video..

No one would help me assist her.

I had to man handle her off the BTS at siam..

The medics said she was having a seizure from a stroke..she was not in a good way when I left her.

Sad sad state of society we live in..glad I'm leaving..

well done sir FOR helping out.....

On 12/14/2019 at 2:49 PM, KKr said:

indeed well done, congratulations and thanks.

Meanwhile, I wonder how CPR seems to have changed.
On Television, I did not see anyone doing a ventilation.
When I did my CPR exam, we had a doll to blow up x-teen times, if we blew to strong it would burp as in "am going to throw up", ventilate a number of times, and start the heart pressure cycle again.

Anyone with current knowledge what currently the accepted practice is in the Americas, in Europe, in Australia ?

Yes! Compression to breath ratio has changed. Last time l did my CPR Cert it was 30:1

Archived