Pattaya: It's official - Pattaya tourism down the pan, Chinese off to Vietnam and Indians the last hope

rooster59

On 12/29/2019 at 2:05 AM, couchpotato said:

Well I have to do a complete 180 here on the doom and gloom.

Last evening I was in a few mainly farang oriented bar areas.

The soi 6 area was the busiest I've seen for a long time. Most bars with multiple punters. So with 200 plus punters and 600 odd lovelies it was teaming.

Likewise for Soi Buakao and some of the in between areas.

Also yesterday went to Papa Beach Club for late lunch, and visited Nong Nooch.

Both places very busy, with all nationalities, although Papa beach mostly Bangkok Thai's, but of course that brings money into this area.

So all in all it's not as bad as reported..whether this is good for the coming year, who knows, but at least for now things are rockin!.

One day is not a valid statistcal value. Shares can have risen today +10 although the yearly trend can be -20%

13 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

How do you know that?

These people may not spend their money in the places where you do it,

it doesn't mean that they don't spend it in other places.

They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time not spending money, wandering around the places where I do. A stroll down Walking St is free for them. Are they all marched into a shopping Mall after? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time not spending money, wandering around the places where I do. A stroll down Walking St is free for them. Are they all marched into a shopping Mall after? 

Sure they don't spend on Walking Street where most Chinese groups just make an up and down the street in 20 minutes. (even if a few group may stop at one of Thai boxing beer bars complex)

But what about the hour (or hourS) long stop these groups have at luxury silk fabric factories or at precious stones and jewel showrooms and shops ? Have a look at the big shops near Pattaya City Hall, all made-for-tour-groups. Their bus parks are full a big part of every day! Tour would not continue to stop there if tourists were not buying anything...

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

My guess is, it's a lot like Walking Street.  A lot of looking, and no buying. 

Maybe and maybe Pattaya 46 and couchpotato are valid. So it's high time in all  of these very related threads for real and recorded  numbers only. At this time of the season these numbers should be known. Just because numbers seem to be down in one area they may be up overall. Took songkow at about noon along Beach road on the 30th & 31st and looked like about 20 % occupancy only for deck chairs. Mostly Thais & Indians. While Jomtien was about 80% . Russians and Scandinavians. 

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

Maybe and maybe Pattaya 46 and couchpotato are valid. So it's high time in all  of these very related threads for real and recorded  numbers only. At this time of the season these numbers should be known. Just because numbers seem to be down in one area they may be up overall. Took songkow at about noon along Beach road on the 30th & 31st and looked like about 20 % occupancy only for deck chairs. Mostly Thais & Indians. While Jomtien was about 80% . Russians and Scandinavians. 

The Russians are back.  Seems busy most places.  Maybe the bar scene on soi toothless is slow, but who cares.  Those in $100 fan rooms should stop calling for the death of Thailand, and get their own house in order.  The Economists will call you if they need you.   ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

The Russians are back.  Seems busy most places.  Maybe the bar scene on soi toothless is slow, but who cares.  Those in $100 fan rooms should stop calling for the death of Thailand, and get their own house in order.  The Economists will call you if they need you.   ????

$100 fan rooms ?  Someone needs to get something else in order 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, morrobay said:

I have said it about a hundred times, and will said it again.

Pattaya / Thailand is most likely getting bigger numbers.  There are coach buses everywhere with Chinese, Indian, and Russian package holiday makers.  There are a lot of people around, but just not in the traditional establishments that caters for them.  Eg. bars an restaurants. 

TAT has always been about the numbers.  This is because when westerners made up the majority of the tourists here, the money from them was flowing.

They thought the Chinese, Indians, and Russians would also follow suit, but they didn't, so, they had to fly even more in, to try to keep the same revenue flowing.  It simply hasn't worked.

The funny thing is, that western sex tourist that was frowned upon, would now be considered a higher end tourist.  ????

Walking Street is a prime example.  It's busy, jammed, but look at the bars, and go into a go go, and there's very few customers. 

There's a difference between what is free being busy, and what costs money being busy. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

This high season has been slow on LK Metro, by usual standards, and I would hardly call LK a Soi Toothless. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Where is Soi Toothless? It can't be LKM. Is it 7 or 8?

Edited by yogi100

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

When I have been to the airport, I see then rearranging packets of dried fruit and seaweed into their luggage, and I don't mean a few packets, I mean in bulk.

I have seen a few latex items, but not many.

Gold and gems, one can not see.

To be fair, I haven't seen if they spend up big in the gem places, because I don't go inside.  However, just because there are many buses outside, that doesn't mean people are buying anything.  They are more or less forced to go to these shops, as part of their land transport package. 

My guess is, it's a lot like Walking Street.  A lot of looking, and no buying. 

Years ago I went to Switzerland. We went to some watch shops to see some of these famous watches we'd heard about in those days.

We soon did an about turn when we saw the price of them. The same thing with the Chinese and those gem shops probably.

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Years ago I went to Switzerland. We went to some watch shops to see some of these famous watches we'd heard about in those days.

We soon did an about turn when we saw the price of them. The same thing with the Chinese and those gem shops probably.

As you say with the gem, when food and beverage, and dare I say, sex, are all cheaper in their their home countries, they will not be partying and spending up here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

This high season has been slow on LK Metro, by usual standards, and I would hardly call LK a Soi Toothless. 

6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Where is Soi Toothless? It can't be LKM. Is it 7 or 8?

Investment is not happening in central Pattaya.  Broaden your universe, look north, south, or east.  The 80's called and they want their beer bar back. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Investment is not happening in central Pattaya.  Broaden your universe, look north, south, or east.  The 80's called and they want their beer bar back. 

I find your post quite contradictory.

You say, investment is not happening in Central Pattaya, yet, that's where the large beer bar complexes are, but to look north, south and east, where there are no large beer bar complexes, but according to you, that's where the investment is.

In my opinion, those ground floor beer bars will be gone in the near future.  The land they sit on is not being used to its best use with a tin roof beer bar.  They will most likely make way for condo's that will be used as hotels, as we have seen at The Base. 

Yes, that's some investment in accommodation, that comes without reception staff, cooks, waiters / waitresses, bar staff, tour desks etc.

Where are you seeing investment in food and beverage, and entertainment venues?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I find your post quite contradictory.

You say, investment is not happening in Central Pattaya, yet, that's where the large beer bar complexes are, but to look north, south and east, where there are no large beer bar complexes, but according to you, that's where the investment is.

In my opinion, those ground floor beer bars will be gone in the near future.  The land they sit on is not being used to its best use with a tin roof beer bar.  They will most likely make way for condo's that will be used as hotels, as we have seen at The Base. 

Yes, that's some investment in accommodation, that comes without reception staff, cooks, waiters / waitresses, bar staff, tour desks etc.

Where are you seeing investment in food and beverage, and entertainment venues?

You may be onto something, that future rejuvenation projects will be coming to Central Pattaya.  If that is the case, then NOW is the time to buy depressed property currently catering to beer bars, ahead of the next big thing.

Where do I see current growth?  Many are printing money by buying and selling South and East of Pattaya, with housing developments sold to Thai working class as the expansion between BKK and Rayong continues.  Niche restaurants and clubs (not beer bars) are doing well in Pratumnak and Jomtien.  This is hypothetical of course, as we foreigners cannot invest directly into Thailand.  ????

9 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

You may be onto something, that future rejuvenation projects will be coming to Central Pattaya.  If that is the case, then NOW is the time to buy depressed property currently catering to beer bars, ahead of the next big thing.

Where do I see current growth?  Many are printing money by buying and selling South and East of Pattaya, with housing developments sold to Thai working class as the expansion between BKK and Rayong continues.  Niche restaurants and clubs (not beer bars) are doing well in Pratumnak and Jomtien.  This is hypothetical of course, as we foreigners cannot invest directly into Thailand.  ????

I seem to remember a lot of Europeans, particularly Brits, investing in Costa del Sol some years ago.

Good luck to the Thai's "investing" in Pattaya, they will need it.  ????

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, jacko45k said:

A dusty village street in rural Issarn, where our ex bed companions now sit and gossip about old times. 

And complaining about why their daughter/s aren't sendng home the same money they used to each month.  ????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smiggley said:

What is wrong with everyone I have lived in Thailand for 15 years and still loving it. If you don't like it here then leave, very simple.

Hate to break the news to you, but it's been happening for quite some time. Don't get out much now do we? Where are you from?

ubon banana tree?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1