Pattaya: It's official - Pattaya tourism down the pan, Chinese off to Vietnam and Indians the last hope

rooster59

On 1/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Hate to break the news to you, but it's been happening for quite some time. Don't get out much now do we? Where are you from?

ubon banana tree?

I think that banana tree in Ubon will be having a lot more expats seeking shade under it in the future.  ????

On 1/9/2020 at 12:50 AM, Leaver said:

I know.

I have been to Vietnam several times.

I have stated on this forum before, Vietnam is my Plan B.  I have even picked out the condo block, and told the condo manager to contact me when the place is filling up with long term expats, which I have been told by friends there, is happening quite fast now, with expats fleeing Thailand. 

Is there a Vietnam forum you can recommend ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

TV has one.  Check it out. It hasn't been there that long.  I guess TV can see the market shift also.

I had a look but there only seems to be a couple of active topics in the last month and one of them was on the subject of scamming. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, kinyara said:

Is there a Vietnam forum you can recommend ?

Sorry to say but there is nothing like Thai Visa for Vietnam. However, there are FB pages for various VN cities. Some are atrociously combative, e.g. HCMC (I left group years ago). Some are very nice, e.g., Da Nang-Hoi An Expats. It takes a strong Admin to run an FB group. 

Cambodia Expats Online has occasional Vietnam topics but no particular separate sub-forum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Sorry to say but there is nothing like Thai Visa for Vietnam. However, there are FB pages for various VN cities. Some are atrociously combative, e.g. HCMC (I left group years ago). Some are very nice, e.g., Da Nang-Hoi An Expats. It takes a strong Admin to run an FB group. 

Cambodia Expats Online has occasional Vietnam topics but no particular separate sub-forum.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/240-vietnam-forum/

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 3:14 PM, Leaver said:

I am not suggesting TAT's numbers are accurate, but due to the sheer number of coach buses I see, I would not be surprised if number are up. 

The problem is, the money from these bigger numbers is not there.  Their spend is way down, when compared to the traditional tourist market.

According to the chart not only are TAT numbers up there is also increasing revenue from tourism. https://www.google.com/search?q=chart+of+foreign+tourism+revenue+2010+through+2019&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=4BpvGbk4zbP6iM%3A%2CvH4n1k9PKn__mM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQdmAVYS  

But then GDP is going down ? Whats going on, some unusual revenue distributions ?

Edited by morrobay

5 hours ago, morrobay said:

According to the chart not only are TAT numbers up there is also increasing revenue from tourism. https://www.google.com/search?q=chart+of+foreign+tourism+revenue+2010+through+2019&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=4BpvGbk4zbP6iM%3A%2CvH4n1k9PKn__mM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQdmAVYS  

But then GDP is going down ? Whats going on, some unusual revenue distributions ?

Can you fix your link?

When I click on it, I get several unrelated graphs and charts. 

17 minutes ago, morrobay said:

The page contains two columns of graphs . The related are: top left Thai tourism revenue. Right 3 down same. Right 5 down GDP

Might have to hear from other members about your link.  It could be my browser, but I have tried your link in two browsers. 

Top left is Sri Lankan Tourism Revenue.  Right 3 down relates to China, and right 5 down relates to Kenya. 

On 12/14/2019 at 10:05 AM, nev said:

They will be begging expats to come back soon its only a matter of time. 

Doubt that this will happen quickly. They are slow-thinkers. Once they realise what tourists they need, Pattaya will be deserted by businesses and girls, i.e. a ghost town. And no, I don't see families going there in droves either.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Might have to hear from other members about your link.  It could be my browser, but I have tried your link in two browsers. 

Top left is Sri Lankan Tourism Revenue.  Right 3 down relates to China, and right 5 down relates to Kenya. 

combined.jpg

Ok the confusion was from difference in display , phone/full screen

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, nev said:

They will be begging expats to come back soon its only a matter of time. 

The Chinese tourist market is a fickle market, and we may see how fickle shortly.  The expat market was a stable market, until the new visa laws. 

> I witnessed an Old Indian Lady the other day haggling the price  of a large amount of " Silk " products she was about to possibly buy from a Small Shopping Mall Stall.

The Thai store owner was really flustered, as this Old Lady was really aggressive in her manner.

I have seen this quite few times. Usually, well actually always women! An unpleasant woman arguing with a Thai over the price of sunglases in Pantip Plaza, he eventually told her to f-off, then gave me a 20Bt discount with a warm smile. 

Come back sexpats, all is forgiven!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I'm thinking of doing exactly that. Already gave up my condo so I don't have to worry about paying double rent, and everything is cheaper in the Philippines anyway. Bangkok isn't what it used to be. Girlfriend would be <deleted> though. Maybe it's time to end the lease on that too. (just kidding - I don't pay her)

I have two friends doing this, but they are in Vietnam.  They come every 2 to 3 months. 

They pick up the cheaper cost of living, with no stress from authorities, and holiday to Pattaya regularly on 30 day entries, so Thailand see no visa money from them, and they no longer have to comply with any visa requirements here.

Return flights with Vietjet land in Suvarabhumi, and now Vietjet have flights to Utapeo.  

Easy and cheap visas in Vietnam, although there is some information that is may change on the 1st July.  I have spoken to them about it.  They are aware of it, but no one there is panicking.  They seem to think it will only be enforced for certain nationalities.

They have never had a problem with Thai Immigration because they are not here on back to back 30 day visas, and can show a current multiple entry Vietnam visa, or a VOA letter, and a return flight back in 2 weeks.

It seems they get the best of both worlds, and it's only a 75 minute flight away. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Specifically, what is  there in Thailand for them that they are missing in Vietnam? 

Their friends.  Some Thai bar girls.  The nightlife.

I have no doubt the frequency of their visits will decrease over time, but for now, they are happy with regular visits to Thailand, but without Thailand's BS.    

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 9:57 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Doubt that this will happen quickly. They are slow-thinkers. Once they realise what tourists they need, Pattaya will be deserted by businesses and girls, i.e. a ghost town. And no, I don't see families going there in droves either.

Ahhhh, but they have the virus to blame now.  Very convenient.

Never thought I'd say this, but I hope Pattaya goes broke. It used to be cheap and cheerful, but became expensive and unhappy. Plus, they devoted themselves to the Russians and then the Chinese to the exclusion of farangs.

Pattaya, IMO, needs to be destroyed to be able to be rebuilt better. Sadly, I doubt the opportunity will be seized. More likely they will do the same as Patong and Phi Phi that rebuilt the same <deleted><deleted> after the tsunami as before it was washed away.