Pattaya: Fair prices mooted and tour buses banned - "Monorail" set to reshape resort landscape

rooster59

5 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Who's overseeing the project? Sontaya Khunpluem, son of Somchai Khunpluem aka Kamnan Poh the most feared and notorious gangster in Chonburi, convicted of murder and corruption and never served a day in prison, and owner of chunks of Pattaya.

Sontaya is also a favourite of Prayut, and served as his political advisor. Had previously served under Taksin. All brown envelopes will go to him.

Have to payoff the Old mans debt of 120 Million somehow

6 hours ago, petermik said:

My goodness..if this ever gets off the planning stage the amount of brown envelopes going round is going to be astronomical :whistling:

The Chinese can afford it... after-all they're the ones being asked to fund it!

Here it comes, the next thread will report .... “Baht bus drivers demonstrate against monorail.”

The only reason Pattaya would get this project through is due to the profits the local Govt (mafia) are going to siphon off.

There are a lot of other things Pattaya needs before a monorail, but there is no profit in it.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

Mono rails do not work.  Just ask Sydney who pulled their out Baht-busses need to expand their options and apply a color coded route identification system.  That is all.  Yes a mCocorinated bus train interchange would be good.  Mono rail costs too much and does not help move traffic volume.

Many big cities built monorails 30 years ago. The Sydney loop used to be fantastic. The Simpsons even did an episode during the decade of 'monorail fever'.

But they have all closed down. The economics just aren't viable. Pattaya is thinking 30 years behind the times!

Edited by Stevemercer

build some proper waste and septic facility, then actually hook up any new hotel or building and slowly do the same to existing buildings or businesses the probably will have some grandfathering period.  Make that beach swimmable, and you will have tons of tourists.  Monorail is lipstick on a pig

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smew said:

Ugly and will destroy the sea view if build on or close to Beach road... a BIG BIG mistake !!!!!!!!

I tend to agree. Have it run down 2nd would be better and leave the front open. Bangkok is rather unpleasant under the Skytrain. 

6 hours ago, Beggar said:

About 10 years ago they planned a Monorail for Pattaya already. If I remember correctly we also had public busses and bus stations for them. Do they still exist? 

Yes, thats true. I don't remember the actual routes, but those buses came in red, yellow and green colour, each colour for a specific route. When I was in Pattaya (I was and I am there only for vacation) those buses were almost empty. A few of those bus stops still exist, at least on Beach Rd.

I'm all for better public transportation but not that monstrosity.  Better a lighter-scale tram and a re-working of the baht bus routes to cover roads and areas not served now.  Reduce the number of taxi and motorbike taxi licenses--far too many clogging the streets slowing traffic.

• Like 2

Thailand slowly step by step will get assimilated and become more andore into the chinese moneygrip and soon will be another chinese province.

Chinese tactics and money realises what other not could to conquer Thailand. 

How sutpied they not recognized freed is all the was needed to conquer the Thai.

Hope they wake up beofee it is too late like other countries found out what the chines help actually implies.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beggar said:

About 10 years ago they planned a Monorail for Pattaya already. If I remember correctly we also had public busses and bus stations for them. Do they still exist? 

The bus stop signs are still scattered around, rusting away, adding to the general rundown, out of order appearance of the town.

The boys at Pattaya‘s city hall must be smoking seriously good weed. Look at the incredible mess of this city. Central road a total Desaster and the Beach Road (possibly the only beach road on the planet which can get flooded) is being graced with a drainage pipe; one - I repeat ONE lane is open to traffic. Imagine the hell going lose every night and Xmas and New Year is around the corner.

The underpass on Sukhumvit is more than proof that Thailand has many, many beautiful spots, advantages and skills but traffic planning and management is seriously not one of them, now or in the future! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

Havent read the whole article but I take it someone thought it was a good idea to stick that on the seafront? 

If i understand the project there is 2 differents things

one is a tram on the ground floor doing a loop beach road\2 road

with an extension to Jontiem and the second is a monorail coming from the

railway station (On the high speed line between the 3 airports) to the center of

Pattaya and probably connected to the tram line (The Bali pier parking could be

a good location for the connection)

Anyway if they want a chance to success they need to stop issuing new taxi licences

NOW for motrbikes, songthaews and others taxi, or they will be dealing with an army of

desperate low thinking guys angry to lose their job and he could be a very dangerous and violent situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1