Royal Mail destroy package sent to Thailand

cyril sneer

After tracking a package sent via RM from England to Thailand, i've found out it only made it to the Wales depot and has been 'destroyed' for containing dangerous goods.

I've looked on google and it appears that the most likely cause is that the package contained aftershave.

There were £200 pounds worth of clothes included in this package and were meant to be Christmas gifts for the family.

I realise that including the aftershave was a mistake and happy to accept losing this, but surely this doesn't give them the right to keep/destroy the clothes included? 

Anyone else had this experience? It's completly <deleted> up my Christmas gifts and lost me a lot of money

With the sheer volume of parcels etc at this time of year its not surprising they dont/wont "inspect" or examine etc, they will probably x-ray and if its flagged its destroyed, speed and flow will override any manual inspection I would think.

Sucks I know,, seems such a waste with other items inside etc but you cant really blame them, it is the senders responsibility ultimately. ????

I'm quite surprised that Royal Mail didn't contact the sender to return the package, but in reality their responsibility stops at ensuring the safety of the other mail and the transport.

It's not the first time that one "illegal" item has gotten a whole shipment destroyed. Saudi customs destroyed an xmas shipment going to a mate's because there was the word "pork" on the packaging, it was turkey bacon and labelled something like "20% less fat than pork".

7 minutes ago, poohy said:

Never realised Aftershave was prohibited , it would have never even crossed my mind!

You learn something everyday

A handy-dandy guide from Royal Mail https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/royal-mail-prohibited-and-restricted-items-nov-23-2018---23410530_updated April 19.pdf

Aftershave is prohibited for international (page 2 bottom right).

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

You're assuming they opened it first. The "dangerous goods" were likely discovered by x-ray and package flagged for destruction without being opened

yes i'm assuming this, good to know if this is the process as opposed to workers taking expensive goods, I had this in when living in UK for domestic deliveries 

Archived