Getting Married at the Amphur

MagnumForce

Hi All,

I am at the stage now where my spouse and I are ready to go to the Amphur to get married. We have the documents from the embassy and MFA. However,  a few questions have been raised over the last few days, so, if I may ask some things here....

1. I am in Udon Thani province. The Amphur Mueang is insisting that they keep the original certified passport, stamped and signed, from my embassy plus the translation stamped and signed by the MFA, for the purpose of getting married? I don't mind them keeping the original affidavit and translation, as it is only for one purpose, but they are also insisting on keeping the original certified passport plus translation, which I find a nuisance as they are documents that can be reused for other purposes and which cost quite a few quid for both, as well as necessitating trips to BKK every time I need a new one.

So, are there any reports of recent marriages at any other Amphurs in Udon Thani that don't insist on keeping originals? Also, are there any Amphurs in Udon Thani that don't require you to make an appointment in advance with the district chief to register your marriage? 

2. Apparently, my wife to be will be asked if she wants to change her title and name when she gets married. We don't want to do it at the moment as it will have implications for her ID Card and Passport, both of which are in her maiden name right now, and we need them to remain that way for a few more months. Can we rightfully decline changing her name and title at the moment?

3. Apparently, we will be asked if we have children. We have two together. Do Amphurs need to see documents such as birth certificates for the children or do we just give their names and dates of birth?

4. If everything goes smoothly and we get the marriage certificate (flowery version) and the other papers with all the details, are there any other steps to be taken, or is the marriage legally accepted and binding at this stage?

5. After getting married, I will need to go to Laos to apply for a Non-Imm 'O' visa (Multiple Entry) based on marriage. Are there any other documents that they will need to see that have not been mentioned in other threads on this topic?

Many thanks for your help.

MF

41 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

4. If everything goes smoothly and we get the marriage certificate (flowery version) and the other papers with all the details, are there any other steps to be taken, or is the marriage legally accepted and binding at this stage?

That is it - you will be legally married.  Believe UK allows you to register the marriage but it is not a requirement (just less paperwork for some services).  Good idea to have marriage certificate translated/registered with MFA in case ever needed in future but not a requirement.

44 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

5. After getting married, I will need to go to Laos to apply for a Non-Imm 'O' visa (Multiple Entry) based on marriage. Are there any other documents that they will need to see that have not been mentioned in other threads on this topic?

You only require singled entry if intending to extend stay at immigration office (meet the financials of 400k in bank 2 months or 40 per month income per month for last year).  If not have multi is only available at Savannakhet and documents are the same as mentioned in those multi entry/Savannakhet threads.

Definitely get your Thai marriage certificate translated and then notarised and staple a translated copy to each of your original copies.  Get several copies of the certificate From the Amphur .  You will be amazed how many times you need the original and a translation. not just in Thailand, but in the home country, for example, joint life insurance,  joint bank accounts with someone not normally resident, Wills, visas for other countries, etc  

I am in the same situation as you are, just a little bit behind...

As far as I know, it is normal for the amphoe to get the original documents.

Yet, if you want to keep a set for yourself, you simply need to present two or more documents (passport translation for example) at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for stamping.

They will be too happy to oblige since they charge something like 400 baht per page.

As a matter of fact, they asked me how many sets I wanted last time I visited them. 

Some hints/tips etc:

Many Amphur have slightly different rules about marriage involving foreigners and the documents they require, best to check and confirm explicitly with the one you will use (you can use any or so I am told). Our local Amphur wanted us to supply all the documents for their inspection and said they would call us in a few days when they were ready, City Hall did none of those things and simply accepted us on a walk in basis.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has branch offices in most Amphurs, there's no need to just use Bangkok. The MFA near to us offers an express service for twice the normal fee, bring the documents in by 09:00 and they'll be done by 4pm.

All translators complain that MFA always finds something wrong with every translation, be prepared to have changes made and to use a translator that wont charge for revisions. MFA will not recommend translators.

Our Amphur will not supply witnesses where the marriage involves a foreigner.

On 12/14/2019 at 2:00 PM, MagnumForce said:

2. Apparently, my wife to be will be asked if she wants to change her title and name when she gets married. We don't want to do it at the moment as it will have implications for her ID Card and Passport, both of which are in her maiden name right now, and we need them to remain that way for a few more months. Can we rightfully decline changing her name and title at the moment?

There should not be any problem with keeping her maiden name. My wife did when we married earlier this year (for the same reasons as you stated). I think she had to sign a form that she did not wish to change.

It can get more complicated depending on which Amphoe you use.. Our Amphoe asked for the birth certificates of MY mother and father who had long since passed away. After a little bit of discussion with me saying it was impossible they relented and proceeded without them.

If you have purchased property you might want the Amphoe to draw up a will for her if anything is to be left to you. It is then legally registered.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, MagnumForce said:

The Amphur Mueang is insisting that they keep the original certified passport, stamped and signed, from my embassy

Did you mean the certified COPY, or the passport itself?

I never used any of the certified copies for anything else.

Don't like it, try a different office. Pattaya wasn't a hassle about anything.

BTW your intended should be doing all this, not you, or do you think she isn't capable of sorting legalities in her own country where she speaks the same language as the bureaucrats? My wife sorted our problem when we got married.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, saengd said:

Our Amphur will not supply witnesses where the marriage involves a foreigner.

Every amphur ( like immigration offices ) is different. There are NO national rules and they can make anything up that they want to.

The Pattaya amphur had the office staff witness mine, and I didn't have to speak or read Thai.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Pattaya amphur had the office staff witness mine, and I didn't have to speak or read Thai.

You have actually got married tbl....well I,m shocked...gordon bloody bennet :clap2:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...