Is there any help in Pattaya to seriously stop smoking?

magmur

• 1 month later...

In my case I was laid low with severe bronchitis for 2 weeks 20 years ago and never smoked again afterwards. Guess this is aversion therapy. My wife has tried patches acupuncture and vaping and despite severally reduced lung function still smokes despite seeing her friends die from emphysema. Thais have problems with addiction because of their bhudist beliefs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm just coming up to 3 years smoke free, I used patches, 1 week on the strongest one, one week on the middle strength ones and then 2 weeks on the lowest available, I also had a pack of gum for when I finished the patches, I only used 1 bit of gum and a few months later threw the rest away.

It's not easy but after 5 weeks I can assure you that you have done the hardest part of all, don't give up now, you will feel a lot better and also smell (you & your clothes) a lot better.

Stick with it mate, and bear in mind that the pollution here is pretty bad at the moment so your respiratory system needs all the help it can get.

You will get a lot of support from these pages I can assure you.

• Like 2

As an ex-heavy smoker I took a psychological approach along with my competitive nature, I Hate Losing in anything.  I did 2 things that I feel got me over my addiction.  1, I refused to keep track of how long it was since I quit.  My thinking on this was that if I was counting the days, weeks, months, years, that it was still on my mind. I feel that this was the biggest factor and honestly today I cannot even tell you what year it was that I quit in, if I had to guess I would say sometime around 2010 or so.  Second, early on I would look at a cigarette and talk to it, I really would.  I would say "You Mr. Cigarette have no brain at all and we as humans have very complex brains that even the most advanced computers cannot match, therefore I am not going to listen to you and beat me, hell you can't even talk so f*** off!".  As silly as that sounds I won and don't smoke.

• Like 2

I applaud all of you to quit smoking!

My Father died from throat cancer at age 62 from smoking.

As a non smoker and as I sit on the beach in Samui I cannot help but notice (SMELL) the smokers blowing their smoke into the air to the detriment of us non smoking public who do not appreciate their byproduct. 

Lets hope they all wake up to the fact that smoking is a major health issue...and NOT cool!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 5:08 PM, magmur said:

Im off it for 5 weeks now and it gets harder and harder.

Some of us take several attempts to finally quit. I think it was my 3rd real attempt to quit was the one the finally stuck. It has been so long since I quit I honestly can't remember when it was. I remember the other attempts I was counting the days. When you're truly ready just do it and stop doing those things that trigger your longing for a smoke. Ex: I would purposely go out of my way to go to a donut shop (in Canada when smoking was still exceptable in doors) drink coffee and smoke. I still drink coffee of course I just stopped at that time going to the coffee shop. Drinking beer and smoking go hand and hand apparently, so if that's your deal you may want to lay off the booze for some time. Do things purposefully that will take your mind off smoking so you can focus on the task at hand. Whatever you do DON'T STOP TRYING TO QUIT! You can do it. Unless of course you are 80 then why bother. BTW, cold turkey is the only way otherwise your just kidding yourself by playing around with other methods. Case in point. My sister's husband worked for Boeing. I believe that they had a program called Smoke Free in '93. Boeing paid for employees and there spouses to go on the Patch. Which my sister and her husband did. He continued to smoke right up until he dropped dead 4 years ago this month. My sister is 60 this year and still smokes not only cigarettes but weed now that it legal in Canada and she looks like she is 75 not 60.

Be Well. 

Edited by iLuvThai
Forgot a important detail and grammar
  • Like 1

You could take this approach. But a cartoon of smokes. Grab the biggest ashtray you can find, go lock yourself in a very small room like a closet and smoke one right after another until you get so sick you won't want to look at another cigarette and in a week or so when you start thinking about cigarettes again remember how this experience made you feel. ????????????

• Like 1

I had acupuncture to stop smoking. Small patch in each ear for a few weeks. I noticed a big difference within minutes. I was also taking Zyban for a week prior, and 3 weeks after. Never smoked again. I had tried every way possible, and none worked but this. That was nearly 30 years ago.

• Like 1

I found smoking easy to stop once I decided to do it. The real hard thing was seriously wanting to stop. Once you have cracked that (and you have) I found the rest easy.

Well done, dont give up, you are way past the difficult stage.

• Like 2

Just light one up. You know you want to, and you know you will soon enough. 

My advice if you wanna stop smoking is to realize all the people you are harming and making smell your habit around you. If that does not stop you maybe you and the cigs deserve each other. 

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, giddyup said:

I finally quit about 7 years ago after a lifetime of smoking and many previous attempts to quit, and can say for me there was only one way and that was cold turkey and determination. Any previous attempts using crutches like patches, gum etc didn't work, as long as you are using nicotine in one form or another you will still have the habit. I think in the end I was totally committed and realised if I didn't quit I could start suffering serious health issues.

I agree I tried every thing to stop,like you did but at the end I went cold turkey and stopped.

And I haven't touched a cigi for 10 years now.

• Like 2

Hi Magmur .............. I never thought I'd ever stop. Then one day my son said to me "Please stop smoking Daddy". He been to kindergarten & evidently they were told about smoking. At the time I thought it to be little too young for youngsters to grasp the dangers of smoking, but I was wrong. I asked him why & he replied that he wanted me to live a long time & see him finish school so he could take care of me when I was very old! It really struck home ........ so I promised & you can't lie to your child. I had to keep my promise, hence it was a no brainer for me.

I think if you have something that matters the most in the world then use that to combat the addiction. I just made my mind up to quit & never looked back, didn't miss it for a minute once I focussed on my reason for doing so. Good luck ....... hope it works as easy for you as it did me. Cheers.

Edited by Daveyh
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

this trick required very little in the form of willpower.

first i spoiled myself on really nice cigars that i cant get in thailand,

then i transitioned to snus that i order from siamsnus,

at all time no cigarette at all.

it still happen that i crave smoking, but i sure dont crave a nasty cigarette,

i long for a nice sweet cigar, but alas, all i got is snus,

and i dont need many of them either, maybe 4 a day.

it helps and for me is required that i dont drink beer during this time

if i dont have cigars to go with the drinks, the two are too closely interrelated

• 4 months later...

Congratulations.

I'd suggest you to stay indoor,  in a place with people you know but where nobody smokes, for 2 more weeks, live in a total smoke free environment. 

Don't stay alone, Because then it's too easy to break the rule.  It must be a place where you wouldn't feel comfortable to smoke, or even think of. 

Don't go out shopping, don't go out at all. Don't even speak about smoking / non smoking.

Anytime, you feel the need, drink a glass of fresh water, read books, stay in bed, whatever...

I quit smoking this way, it took me 2 weeks and never smoked again, it was 14 years ago!  

You can make it, you'll feel free.   

Edited by Opl

• 6 months later...