Hotel refuses to accept responsibility after basin falls on guest

rooster59

Hotel refuses to accept responsibility after basin falls on guest

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU5Ni83OTgxNDgyL3R1Yi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

A furious woman posted on Facebook after a basin in a hotel bathroom fell on the feet of a friend. 

Poster "Neung Nstar" said that the guest was visiting the hotel in Ratanathibet, Nonthaburi for ten days until next Tuesday because they were setting up a booth in Bangkok. 

The basin collapsed through no fault of her friend and injured her feet. A picture of the victim and blood on the floor was published by Sanook. 

Medical bills ran up to 6,300 baht. Nine stitches were needed. 

But the poster said that the hotel refused to take responsibility saying it was not caused by their staff. 

And to make matters worse the hotel demanded that the guest pay for the damage.

The poster made several facetious remarks about dancing on the basin and also asked:

"So are you saying that if your lift collapsed - and there was no staff member in it at the time - and I died you would take no responsibility for my death?". 

Sanook made no apparent effort to contact the hotel, just reporting the Facebook post. It was stated in the post that the guest had paid 600 baht for each of ten night's stay. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-04

a friend was staying at a hotel near my place, 3500 - 4000 baht per night, there were issues with the room; cleanliness and noise from other guests and from outside. when my friend went to reception to complain he was told to speak to hotel.com - as he had booked through them. when he asked to speak to the manager he was told the manager was unavailable until, surprise surprise, the day after my friend checked out. the lack of willingness to take responsibility is stunning sometimes.

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

What is wrong with people, stop your fn whining and get a lawyer to sue for damages, that should sort it.

This is Thailand, not the US. Ask Hopewell how getting good lawyers and suing for damages went !!!!

So it just fell off the wall all by itself. No one was leaning on it or anything right? There are 24 hours in a day and 60 minutes in each hour and the sink "waited" until your friend was in front of it to fall. She made no attempt to get out of the way or wrap her wounds immediately and seek medical help but rather sat on a toilet while you took photos of her black blood on the floor. Folks like you make me chuckle.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Medical bills ran up to 6,300 baht. Nine stitches were needed. 

It's easy to picture what happened -- someone leaning on a poorly installed basin sink, and it gave way.

That seems expensive for 9 stitches in any country, though, assuming that applying the stitches was the primary procedure. I'm also assuming the victim was Thai, so why wasn't their treatment covered under the national health plan system? 

brakes failed

sleeping at the sink

taking a selfie on the sink (driving)

someone bought me those drinks I didn't want to sit on the sink (drive)

there was too much water and I lost control

I have a sinking feeling 

not my fault

3rd world :post-4641-1156694572:

4 hours ago, katana said:

Happened to me too once in a Thai hotel, although luckily missed my foot.
All the basins were fitted wall mounted without a supporting pedestal, making that kind of accident more likely.

Many basins don't have a pedestal mount. They have arms protruding from the wall, extending into the sink, and then bolted from under the basin.

the basin in question have supports bolted on the wall( zoom in) and the basin sits on the supports. Not an ideal way for supporting the sink.

there is little doubt the sink was leaned on or something that caused it to come off the supports. It would sit 2-3 inches into the supports. No way it's possible for it to fall off the wall by itself without the supports coming off the wall. As u can see, there are still there.

but it's Thailand, installations are questionable at the best of times.

When I built my hotels in Phuket, basins were always fixed to an outside wall, with heavy support bolts running right through the wall to the outside, and secured with large metal washers and nuts.

An elephant could dance on the basin and it wouldn't come off the wall ... ????

7 hours ago, Inn Between said:

It's easy to picture what happened -- someone leaning on a poorly installed basin sink, and it gave way.

That seems expensive for 9 stitches in any country, though, assuming that applying the stitches was the primary procedure. I'm also assuming the victim was Thai, so why wasn't their treatment covered under the national health plan system? 

1000 baht for falangs at hospital recently and even thats over inflated

The hotel should pay the expenses, although I know also how many Thais are. 
I see so many times they are sitting on it, giving the the toes a color while balancing with their leg on it, leaning on it with all their weight.  Maybe this happened with guests before, and the friend did nothing wrong....who will tell??

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

What is wrong with people, stop your fn whining and get a lawyer to sue for damages, that should sort it.

....and it takes five years. After you have won the case you can start to sue the Hotel for the costs of your lawyer.

Archived