Opinion: Pattaya's bar and nightlife image is dead - operators must change or face extinction

rooster59

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/15/2019 at 3:14 PM, Andycoops said:

Village life is far from hell (I find it absolutely marvellous) but people leave the countryside to seek employment just as they do in many countries as an economic necessity. 

You find it marvelous because you have sufficient funds to enjoy life there. Try living in the same village on 2000 baht/month. If the rice crop does not fail. IMO your perspective would change quite rapidly.

There is nothing to do in a village except eat, sleep and post on Facebook if the phone credit is not exhausted. No such thing as full time work without going elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is nothing to do in a village except eat, sleep and post on Facebook if the phone credit is not exhausted. No such thing as full time work without going elsewhere.

You forgot, 'drink' & 'reproduce'.

There's usually a whole lot of that happening in Thai villages, from about age 12 and up.

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

It is a giant money washing scheme anyway. Those bars will sit there whether empty or full. Don't matter, they serve their purpose. 

A bit like 'Top Charoen', biggest chain in Thailand with never a customer.

When I was a n00b, I once went inside one of those shops for an eye test, no customers but two very pretty girls in smart uniforms. I realised something was wrong when the girl employed to do the eye tests didn't know how to use the equipment. So I showed her how to do the eye tests, let her practise on me a couple of times until she could do it. Then let her sell me some glasses.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You forgot, 'drink' & 'reproduce'.

There's usually a whole lot of that happening in Thai villages, from about age 12 and up.

True enough. Lao Khao is quite cheap.

Not much reproduction goes on once males and females hit 40. The males are impotent from drinking, and most women aren't interested anymore. Some examples of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in my GF's village.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:17 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Two for one places where you are charged twice the price for one beer and get the second one for free....whether you want it or not. Billabong and Triangle spring to mind. Rip off.

You were "charged twice the price for one beer" at the Triangle Bar? Is that double the 7-eleven price?

Anyway, please show us your itemized and electronically printed receipt(s).

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You were "charged twice the price for one beer" at the Triangle Bar? Is that double the 7-eleven price?

Read my previous posts. I've already explained the pricing in detail.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

I see what he is getting at. Being charged 140 baht on a 2 for one deal, when around the corner 'one' can be had for 70 baht, or 'two' for 140 baht. Not a rip of per se at all, but hardly an 'honest' presentation. 

On 12/27/2019 at 12:59 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I liked the open air bar beers as I would buy a drink at any bar and looked at all the other bars till I found a girl I liked the look of. Good luck doing that in a closed bar.

Unless many are next door to each other, or a very short walk from each other, or a 20 baht taxi ride.  Then you can bar hop.  ????

The good thing for these business set your bar is not a viewing point for the "goods" being advertised by your competitor. 

On 12/27/2019 at 12:59 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Lots of things they could do.

Tidy up the bars and have decent stools to sit on

Have the same music for all the bars, not a horrible noise that is confusing.

Have a band that can actually sing in English, or play enjoyable Thai music

Confiscate the phones while they are working

Make them wear attractive clothes, even if the bar has to give them a clothing allowance. No <deleted> jeans.

Have a mamasan that doesn't treat customers like dirt.

NO FAT GIRLS.

A lot of these things cost money;

Thailand is all about maximum money in, for minimum money out.

At 80, 85, 90 baht a beer, higher lady drink and bar fine prices, these beer bars have really fallen out of favor in recent times.  

They are on large blocks of land, in Central Pattaya, and only single story, so I think their days are numbered. 

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I see what he is getting at. Being charged 140 baht on a 2 for one deal, when around the corner 'one' can be had for 70 baht, or 'two' for 140 baht. Not a rip of per se at all, but hardly an 'honest' presentation. 

Agreed. On the half-a-dozen times I have hooked up with my mates at Triangle, it's been for a 'session' and a session never means buying only 1 beer.

On 12/29/2019 at 12:22 PM, NanLaew said:

Agreed. On the half-a-dozen times I have hooked up with my mates at Triangle, it's been for a 'session' and a session never means buying only 1 beer.

One problem with the 2 for 1 model is people slow down their drinking after the first few, but they are still taking up a seat, and enjoying the entertainment.  

Once places like Triangle are reasonably full of people having a session, there is some quick money early, but whilst the place may be full, people having a session end up drinking one beer every 30 minutes, or their two beers in one hour.  Not a lot of turn over in that. 

Archived