Opinion: Pattaya's bar and nightlife image is dead - operators must change or face extinction

rooster59

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

There are discos in Pattaya who right now make very good business

True that.

You can go to Insomnia on Walking any day of the week, any week of the year ...it's always full and packed with the most pretty girls.

That's where the girls are ... not the shabby ones, sitting on their fat bums behind their phones in those empty, boring bars.

Really, these days of connect 4 or whatever ... yeah, this business model is sinking.

btw ... Insomnia has the best business model there is. 

All the Thai girls get their beers for 90 Baht with their club card, when they are alone.

The moment they got a guy next to them, paying for the drinks, they charge 190Baht or something, ridicules high. 

You can say, all the freelancers are working nicely for that club.

It's full, all the time!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Go to Rompho market in Jomtien ... for the past 3+ years, you can week after week witness and count the bars closing from back to front.

Seriously, who care if a few small beer bars close in always nearly desert areas?

In the same time many new venues open on Walking Street and along 3rd Road.

On Walking Street alone an new agogo opened just this week (Spicy Girl) and an new disco is soon to be opened (Black Banana).

Another big agogo is still work in progress near Walking Street entrance, and what will be the Walking Street biggest ever nightclub is also work in progress, at Soi BJ.

Again, I would be very interested to know which nightclub(s) is (are) the source of this "40% down customers"... :ermm:

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seriously, who care if a few small beer bars close in always nearly desert areas?

In the same time many new venues open on Walking Street and along 3rd Road.

On Walking Street alone an new agogo opened just this week (Spicy Girl) and an new disco is soon to be opened (Black Banana).

Another big agogo is still work in progress near Walking Street entrance, and what will be the Walking Street biggest ever nightclub is also work in progress, at Soi BJ.

Again, I would be very interested to know which nightclub(s) is (are) the source of this "40% down customers"... :ermm:

It was the secretary of the Pattaya entertainment council or some such thing.

He says that it's down 40% compared to the same time last year.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There are loads of happy hours and two for one places! Have you ever been to Pattaya?

I looked at that happy hour two for one 5-7pm......150 baht a small Leo..hardly happy or cheap..

But yes Watboon has many worn out bars at 50 baht all day

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I'm not sure you got what I wanted to say.

It is exactly that it "wasn't" as deserted area a few years back.

The place was full of bars, a lot of people and very good fun.

It started to get an deserted areas from the back to front, starting 3 years ago, and very rapidly now.

And now almost deserted.

Exactly what the topic suggested.

2 minutes ago, adammike said:

It was the secretary of the Pattaya entertainment council or some such thing.

He says that it's down 40% compared to the same time last year.

Yes, the article is there https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1138617-customers-in-pattaya’s-famous-bars-and-nightclubs-down-a-whopping-40/#comments

but there is absolutely no name given, and they can't be talking about main nightclubs on Walking Street seeing how they are currently full. So which one are they talking about ??

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not. doesn't get going until midnight and isn't in full swing until 2am. Also, often more guys than girls in there.

It only opens at 11pm ... of course it gets going after midnight.

It's a Nightclub

More guys than girls? Oh no ???? Please Danny. The place is packed with chicks, all the time. 

And honestly, really nice ones. Expensive place though ... but never empty or boring.

Girls must up their work rate owners must make use of buy one get one free offers government must reduce import tax (just one example a 12 box of Corona Tesco UK £9 one bottle in Rimping supermarket 155 baht) the game looks up here for sure ????

6 minutes ago, RedPill said:

The place was full of bars, a lot of people and very good fun.

It started to get an deserted areas from the back to front, starting 3 years ago, and very rapidly now.

And now almost deserted.

Exactly what the topic suggested.

Rompho has it's own problems. The landowners want to redevelop it and have been encouraging bars to move out for 2 or 3 years now.

4 minutes ago, RedPill said:

The place was full of bars, a lot of people and very good fun. //

I think I got it ????

but as you said above, visitors in 2019 are no more interested in playing Connect4 while drinking beers. They mostly look for aircon venues (sport bars or alike) and discos.

I bet that in a very few years, traditional beer bars will be only found in a very few locations, mainly on Soi Buakhao, far from the main tourists area.

6 minutes ago, RedPill said:

You can go to Insomnia on Walking any day of the week, any week of the year ...it's always full and packed with the most pretty girls

Sure, if you are under 50 years old and look sharp and spend several thousand baht on a girl, you can score a pretty girl every night at Insomnia 

What about us oldtimers who are broke and in bed by midnight?  We need pretty girls too  5555

9 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I bet that in a very few years, traditional beer bars will be only found in a very few locations, mainly on Soi Buakhao, far from the main tourists area.

Yes, that's what I believe as well. That's what it looks like and the shift I was posting about before.

Not that I know it ... it's just my opinion of course. 

9 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Sure, if you are under 50 years old and look sharp and spend several thousand baht on a girl, you can score a pretty girl every night at Insomnia 

What about us oldtimers who are broke and in bed by midnight?  We need pretty girls too  5555

No problem, as said before, go online ... plenty for this, too ????

Not many people need pushing out of the hell that is village life. The cities function as a liberating experience for the girls and they benefit enormously,  as do we. Your comment regarding underage girls is nonsense.  Pattaya nightlife is highly policed. Unlike the in the UK where child sex abuse has gone unhindered,  with the knowledge of the police for decades. Start by googling Rotherham.

Codswallop. It's gone on in the UK (as it has everywhere) - among a certain demographic in particular - but certainly not unhindered. The industry might be policed in Pattaya at shopfront level, but you could bet your bottom dollar that for the local market it is alive and well and with the full knowledge and involvement of certain police. Domestic consumption for underage is rife right across Asia, esp Thailand and Cambodia.

The vileness of the music in most Pattaya bars combined with the non stop footie is just awful. No wonder people party at home! Every bar in Pattaya seems to want to be a sports bar combined with nightclub playing the worst MTV and VHM dance chart hits. Pattaya must have the worst music of any city in the world. I do not want to hear torture chamber Techno and banging house where a foul mouthed MC screams:' Get your f*****g hand up b***h b***h b***h! Face down A*** up cos thats the way were gonna <deleted>! This rape music, hip hop, rap  balkan beat, UDM, EDM and the curse of Electro pop reduces virtually every single bar to a cacophony of conformism. Just brainless. Mindless. Unoriginal.  Low intelligence. It panders to the lowest common denominator of taste and intelligence. I think the multi beer bar courts have had their day too. The model does not work anymore.

So right!
Luckily there are exeptions from that rule. Try Puy Bar (upstairs, downstairs they have karaoke!) in Soi New Plaza or Delirious Bar Hard 'n Heavy Pub & Whisky Lounge in Soi Chayapoon. No rap, no hip hop, no electro pop.

1 hour ago, RedPill said:

It's imminent and very obvious that bars are slowly but steadily are closing ... it's a declining business. 

That also duo to the fact the girls are smarting up these days ... they also don't want to sit there all night long.

They go online and catch a lot whatever they want, to their own terms. It's a shift in business.

Looks what's left in sitting in the bars? Overall? Compared to a few years back?

Similar to a Kodak, Video rental shops etc. Time moves on.

Today we Netflix and download the girls online ????

Of course there always have been closing and openings, non stop. But not in this shift.

Go to Rompho market in Jomtien ... for the past 3+ years, you can week after week witness and count the bars closing from back to front.

Soi Buhakoa ... did you check 'Action Street' lately?

Complete areas are shut down slowly.

There are a lot, no need to go into details. Look at the bigger picture.

Compare a few years back to today.

You're right.
You mentioned "Action" Street in Soi Buakao. This barcenter was a complete fail from the very beginning. So its logical that they closed down large parts of it due to the dwindling number of quality tourists. But its not only "Action" Street.... "Drinking Street" next to T21 has been dead for years already and so has the complete barscene in North Pattaya. I can remember how busy the "VIP barcenter" was, now its dead....
Soi 7 and Soi 8 used to be hotspots 10 years ago, the decline started 6-7 years ago, today most of the bars are empty.

The decline of the business model "beer bar" started with the discos in WS. But after the introduction of the smartphone its spiralling downwards at an incredible pace.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Hemingways was packed last night, (northern soul pattaya fund raiser)

Am only 62, but a lot of older gals and guys dancing to the Motown sound, nobody staring into space 555

Yet if you walk down Soi Buakhao at almost anytime in the afternoon, you can see many staring into space behind a bottle of Chang.

I'm not young by any means myself, but it gets old dancing with 62 year olds to Motown music. Go down second road, wonderful bar, wonderful 2, retirement homes.

dont get me wrong, everyone gets old and wants to party, but perhaps the older breed is dying off and the younger crowd surely isn't hanging in these areas, or this town .

besides the discos on walking streets, here I sweet Farg all for younger people there. 

The chang brigade can be seen at any time on soi big cow, morning noon or night. The thousand yard stare.

You don't see them now because of the latest craze to hit Pattaya bars, Gentlemen's clubs. More discretely sited in Central Pattaya, Soi Buakhao has several around it, closed bars in side streets where anything goes. Think Soi 6 in the old days. Apparently the future for Pattaya bars.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Some of these oldtimers have found a way: they go sleep early... and wake up early to go to Walking Street at about 5-6AM when the discos are closing, in the hope to get a descent one who didn't catch a customer during the night. 

I am not joking. I noticed at least 3 guys above 60 that I often see on WS around 6AM ...

42 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You don't see them now because of the latest craze to hit Pattaya bars, Gentlemen's clubs. More discretely sited in Central Pattaya, Soi Buakhao has several around it, closed bars in side streets where anything goes. Think Soi 6 in the old days. Apparently the future for Pattaya bars.

'Gentleman' is just another word for sad old sex tourists of course and 'clubs' are just brothels.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Some of these oldtimers have found a way: they go sleep early... and wake up early to go to Walking Street at about 5-6AM when the discos are closing, in the hope to get a descent one who didn't catch a customer during the night. 

I am not joking. I noticed at least 3 guys above 60 that I often see on WS around 6AM ...

It's an option but trust me by experience

it doesn't work very well

the only chance to pick some chicks is a very drunk one

and it's an embarassment if you have to bang her

when in the same time she is busy to fill your bin with her vomit

The only advantage is it's a cheap experience, she forgot everything

when she woke up, so i put her in a songteaw with 10 bahts in her hand

to go back in her room in Jomtien

never again

5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Not many people need pushing out of the hell that is village life. The cities function as a liberating experience for the girls and they benefit enormously,  as do we. Your comment regarding underage girls is nonsense.  Pattaya nightlife is highly policed. Unlike the in the UK where child sex abuse has gone unhindered,  with the knowledge of the police for decades. Start by googling Rotherham.

"underage girls is nonsense".  Pattaya nightlife is highly policed. 

Thanks for the comments...made me laugh at your unintended humor...????

1 minute ago, Puchaiyank said:

"underage girls is nonsense".  Pattaya nightlife is highly policed. 

Thanks for the comments...made me laugh at your unintended humor...????

His comments makes sense imo

Pattaya is under the ''lights'' of the international press

plus some NGO are active in the area, so it's much more difficult

for underage girls to work here, and when they do it, the traffic is quickly

put down by a raid (If you read the Pattaya news you are well aware about it)

It's much more usual to find underage girls in local karaokes around the small

cities in the non touristics areas because it's less ''exposed'' to the public knowledge

since these establishments are used only by the ''locals''

Archived