Opinion: Pattaya's bar and nightlife image is dead - operators must change or face extinction

rooster59

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

His comments makes sense imo

Pattaya is under the ''lights'' of the international press

plus some NGO are active in the area, so it's much more difficult

for underage girls to work here, and when they do it, the traffic is quickly

put down by a raid (If you read the Pattaya news you are well aware about it)

It's much more usual to find underage girls in local karaokes around the small

cities in the non touristics areas because it's less ''exposed'' to the public knowledge

since these establishments are used only by the ''locals''

Ok...I'll give you that there are not as many as once upon a time.  Bet you any MC taxi can even now take you where they are in Pattaya in a heart beat...

2 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Ok...I'll give you that there are not as many as once upon a time.  Bet you any MC taxi can even now take you where they are in Pattaya in a heart beat...

Of course there are still few, unfortunately

but much much less than in the non touristics parts of Thailand

even if some progress are on the way 

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There are loads of happy hours and two for one places! Have you ever been to Pattaya?

Twice, once a long times ago, didn't like it, then stayed at the southern end about 18 months ago, still didn't like it.

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The vileness of the music in most Pattaya bars combined with the non stop footie is just awful

I kinda enjoy the surreal situation of hearing rap, and trying to see between a mass of bare bums and legs how MU are doing on the wall mounted TV. 

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Two for one places where you are charged twice the price for one beer and get the second one for free....whether you want it or not. Billabong and Triangle spring to mind. Rip off.

The good times are over no more turning on the tap and farangs will come pouring out it's over the good times so get over it u get what u deserve

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And if bar owners don't accept the reality that they have to change they face the inevitable - going bust.

Not just Pattaya.  In the city I know best there are bars changing hands regularly.  It amazes me that owner after owner are prepared to waste money on these loss making businesses.  Some are succeeding, mostly by introducing very good Farang food, but the old beer and (increasingly fat) girls model does not work any more.  The baht and the moralistic attitude of the authorities must take a large slice of the blame.  

The solution to many of Pattaya's ills is to have a police force to 'serve and protect' the community.  The present bunch is one of the single biggest reasons for the decline in tourism.  Every time the racist cops get a farang on a trumped-up charge whilst ignoring the hundreds of Thais committing the same offence, drives another nail into Pattaya's coffin.

Why can't the town hall see the roadside banditry; the taximeters being allowed to flout the law; the Israeli fined 2000 baht for leaving a beer bottle on the floor instead of depositing it in a non-existent bin?

15 hours ago, RedPill said:

I don't understand ... 5 years of 'Family Resort' messaging & efforts and now bar's and nightlife not up?

Why? Isn't this inline with the message/plan? This should be positive to all and a mission accomplished

The only thing still missing is the demolishing of the right side of Walking Street, as there were talks about just 3 years back.

3 years? Try 20 years+

3 minutes ago, toolpush said:

3 years? Try 20 years+

They talked about demolishing the water front buildings on Walking Street 20 years ago?

Ok, I never heard it until, you know ... a certain regime got into powers.

But I stand corrected, of course ????

14 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Not many people need pushing out of the hell that is village life. The cities function as a liberating experience for the girls and they benefit enormously,  as do we. Your comment regarding underage girls is nonsense.  Pattaya nightlife is highly policed. Unlike the in the UK where child sex abuse has gone unhindered,  with the knowledge of the police for decades. Start by googling Rotherham.

Regardless of age i have a feeling I don't think i would like sex with anyone from Rotherham ????

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not. doesn't get going until midnight and isn't in full swing until 2am. Also, often more guys than girls in there.

It's hard to get a seat of you don,t get in by 22.30 the happy hour is 22.00-24.00,san Miguel was 75 baht ,good place to take a " farm fresh " girl to.

I’ve stated this before, and I’ll state it again:  the current regime has chosen hot money inflows, submarines and now bullet trains—in lieu of a stable, competitive Baht.  So tourism, exports and a vibrant economy take a back seat.  Buckle up, Thailand, you’re going downhill fast.

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If they had any business sense, they could have a happy hour discounted drinks, even buy one get one free, but nope, it's all about going for the lot, then going bust.

Bang on the money there 4MyEgo.

Same with bar-girls. Buy one, get one free.

27 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Same with bar-girls. Buy one, get one free.

Now your talking my language, how much, 2,000, ok for the two of you, no no, 2,000 each, no no, 1,000 for you and 1,000 for you, but up to you, I can go to freelancer for same same, win/win, although the loss of the bar fine of 300 baht was acceptable...lol

16 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Who the <deleted> wants to go on vacation and sit beside a bunch of 70 year old drunks that are staring into space?

perhaps other 70 year old drunks staring into space?

i guess the place is dead!

You might want to consider that one day, you will be a 70 year old drunk! (If you are lucky.)

Also - the usual 70 year old drunk drinks all year round. Not just for a short time like hoiiday making snowflakes.

BTW - I am not 70 years old but I am sometimes drunk.

16 hours ago, RedPill said:

... Rompho was a great time to be had for many years ... it's just a bar complex as all the others, exactly the same as Pattaya bar complexes ... a bar, a pool table, some chicks, some music and drinks. 

Why bad examples, what are we talking about here then? ????

They are all looking exactly the same thing, wherever you go.

What's the difference?

They are mostly empty these days and have ugly girls in there hanging behind a mobile phone

Locations are <deleted>. The happening soi is soi 7 in Jomtien and the bars there rarely change hands and your not stuck in a bland out of the way car park with bars dumped on it like Rompho

Action st is in the no mans land section of soi Buhakao and was dead a few months after opening. The action is around LK metro to just past the night markets and bars are packed from early

You gave 2 of the worst examples...location location location !! 

16 hours ago, adammike said:

It was the secretary of the Pattaya entertainment council or some such thing.

He says that it's down 40% compared to the same time last year.

Article also said it anecdotal with zero data. When TAT who actually have real data make a report they are lying dogs. When some media hungry clown pulls figures from his backside he is hero LMAO..you cant make this stuff up, but it is TV 

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

You gave 2 of the worst examples...location location location !! 

Yes, it's ok. As I said, no need to go into super detail.

Any of those Bar's with only ugly and fat ladies behind a mobile phone are not a future way for successful bar business and booming, that should be clear, the overall picture.

I only thought it was always funny to park a car in Action Street without Action.

Location is ok, you can walk into other bars around from there.

Relax, don't go mad on me man.I also can't help the down trend ????

17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I saw 20 “hotel guests” standing  outside during the Holiday inn fire.

Dude you were not there, I was from the first scream that woke me up next door. Why are you lying? There were quickly 100 spectators alone and you picked 20 hotel guests , news crews arrived AFTER nearly all were evacuated...Some of your posts are cringe worthy

17 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The vileness of the music in most Pattaya bars combined with the non stop footie is just awful. No wonder people party at home! Every bar in Pattaya seems to want to be a sports bar combined with nightclub playing the worst MTV and VHM dance chart hits. Pattaya must have the worst music of any city in the world. I do not want to hear torture chamber Techno and banging house where a foul mouthed MC screams:' Get your f*****g hand up b***h b***h b***h! Face down A*** up cos thats the way were gonna <deleted>! This rape music, hip hop, rap  balkan beat, UDM, EDM and the curse of Electro pop reduces virtually every single bar to a cacophony of conformism. Just brainless. Mindless. Unoriginal.  Low intelligence. It panders to the lowest common denominator of taste and intelligence. I think the multi beer bar courts have had their day too. The model does not work anymore.

That does sound awful , up here in the styx it is more gunpowder and horse <deleted> music ( C&W ) such as Cuntyload and Yellow liver. Dreadful !

What is the news, bars and clubs open, close and change ownership frequently in Pattaya?

When police were on police business at one Walking Street club a few years ago they checked the license and found that the club had changed owners six (6) times since the license was issued and no one knew who the current owner was.

Which begs the question, Why does the city even have a liquor licensing department? Yes, the club is still open.

17 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The vileness of the music in most Pattaya bars combined with the non stop footie is just awful. No wonder people party at home! Every bar in Pattaya seems to want to be a sports bar combined with nightclub playing the worst MTV and VHM dance chart hits. Pattaya must have the worst music of any city in the world. I do not want to hear torture chamber Techno and banging house where a foul mouthed MC screams:' Get your f*****g hand up b***h b***h b***h! Face down A*** up cos thats the way were gonna <deleted>! This rape music, hip hop, rap  balkan beat, UDM, EDM and the curse of Electro pop reduces virtually every single bar to a cacophony of conformism. Just brainless. Mindless. Unoriginal.  Low intelligence. It panders to the lowest common denominator of taste and intelligence. I think the multi beer bar courts have had their day too. The model does not work anymore.

Bang on the money there sunnyboy2018. That's why I've started my 'chess sets (with board and rules) for bar-girls', movement.

The thinking behind this is as follows; play a bar-girl, and if she wins you get a <deleted>. If you win, you have to buy her a drink.

The bar-girls improve their game quickly. Everyone's a winner.

It worked well in Udon, and loads of Lao girls got involved. They were fantastic learners; winning in just a few moves. Those were the days.

Al that could be heard was the gently, and seductive sound of wood slid across wood*. And the occasional call of "mate".

* Unless the pieces had a felt bottom; then all that could be heard was a 'whoosh'. But you had to listen carefully or you would miss it.

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money there sunnyboy2018. That's why I've started my 'chess sets (with board and rules) for bar-girls', movement.

The thinking behind this is as follows; play a bar-girl, and if she wins you get a <deleted>. If you win, you have to buy her a drink.

The bar-girls improve their game quickly. Everyone's a winner.

It worked well in Udon, and loads of Lao girls got involved. They were fantastic learners; winning in just a few moves. Those were the days.

Al that could be heard was the gently, and seductive sound of wood slid across wood*; and the occasional call of "mate".

* Unless the pieces had a felt bottom; then all that could be heard was a 'whoosh'.

Yes, you can't beat a 'felt bottom.' 

Archived