Opinion: Pattaya's bar and nightlife image is dead - operators must change or face extinction

rooster59

13 hours ago, BestB said:

Do not know if Triangle has changed, but before it was 90 baht for San Mig,

Pretty sure I paid over a 100 last time I was in there, and that was a while ago. They have live music so would expect more of a margin. SML is about 40 baht if you buy by the case. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nightlife might be dead but afternoon boozing still seems popular. Traffic horrendous yesterday, Soi Buakhao doing pretty well and many bars had plenty of customers, mostly Western. Looked like Australians mostly, but I heard a lot of American accents. 

The party is not quite over. 

On 12/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Pattaya's decline must be confusing for young underage girls being pushed by their parents to go forth and send back money...

Ever actually been in a Pattaya bar beer/ gogo?

The decline is nothing to do with price of beer or two for one etc.

It's more about the rip off accommodation, the incompetence of the city administration, the scams, the traffic chaos, police targeting farangs for traffic violations while letting Thais off, etc.

Mainly though, the bar scene just ain't fun anymore. Fat ugly girls looking at their phones isn't bringing in the customers. I even saw fat ugly girls in the gogos. When the only pretty girls are outside touting, one knows it's gone horribly wrong.

Also, that dire noise Thai DJs enjoy is going to ensure empty gogos. Too stupid to play what the customers want or just don't care?

The lack of patrons is the result of 20 years of administrations trying to destroy the nite scene. Now they've succeeded they ain't happy. Could that be because there ain't enough money to fill the brown envelopes any more?

A lot of the girls are working off phone apps now.

Only the older girls who thought the easy money would never end are still in the bars, and they still think the easy money is on its way for this high season.

Getting a girl off an app means the days of lady drinks and bar fines are just about over. 

The customer can still take the girl from the app to a bar for a drink, but no lady drink prices, and no bar fine money for the bar. 

With ever increasing lady drink and bar fine prices, the days of the old beer bar complexes are coming to an end.

people assume incorrectly that if they don't see customers or girls that the business is not making money.  As if they know all their ways to make money.  It's funny how these "detectives" fail to think of other possible things they are doing, or if they own 100 other businesses or whatever...

i went to chile and saw an Apple store empty!!!  I am sure Apple was doomed forever.....this was 2007.  how is this possible???

lol

we need an IQ test before posting

42 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

people assume incorrectly that if they don't see customers or girls that the business is not making money.  As if they know all their ways to make money.  It's funny how these "detectives" fail to think of other possible things they are doing, or if they own 100 other businesses or whatever...

i went to chile and saw an Apple store empty!!!  I am sure Apple was doomed forever.....this was 2007.  how is this possible???

lol

we need an IQ test before posting

What is there were 5000 Apple stores in the same city, and the people were converting to Android.

That's what is happening to Pattaya.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:17 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Two for one places where you are charged twice the price for one beer and get the second one for free....whether you want it or not. Billabong and Triangle spring to mind. Rip off.

Mabe same owner,,,,

On 12/15/2019 at 12:25 AM, RedPill said:

But if the bars don't have the same attractive girls anymore as back then, what now in future?

There is much more to the "bar's as we know it more than a decade ago" story ... other than only rules and enforcement.

The girls are not the same anno 2020 ... they all got a mobile in their hands, and they know what to do with it ????

And I say, kudos to them.

Don't open a new Bar in 2020 and try the same old same old with older ladies and play connect 4 ... it will not work anymore

Good point, but quality declines when income declines and the income declined with the tighter rules. Who wants to fly 8,000 miles to see bikinis? Relax rules=more customers=higher income=quality girls.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Who wants to fly 8,000 miles to see bikinis?

I did before ????

It was a good party town Pattaya ... I think it still is, maybe. But now that I live here ... I only go very rarely & occasionally, and then mostly end up in Insomnia or Lucifer ... but the bar scene ... I hardly find it fun anymore to sit down there and answering the same old 3 questions, especially not with the material sitting behind the bars these days.

But who knows, the next guy who comes here for the first time, still finds it a lot of fun ... it definitely is still much different than the average Euro/US/UK night out ... if you have the dosh for a good holiday.

2 hours ago, RedPill said:

I did before ????

It was a good party town Pattaya ... I think it still is, maybe. But now that I live here ... I only go very rarely & occasionally, and then mostly end up in Insomnia or Lucifer ... but the bar scene ... I hardly find it fun anymore to sit down there and answering the same old 3 questions, especially not with the material sitting behind the bars these days.

But who knows, the next guy who comes here for the first time, still finds it a lot of fun ... it definitely is still much different than the average Euro/US/UK night out ... if you have the dosh for a good holiday.

I totaly agree

i am in the same situation

except for the discos. i am a non smoker so Lucifer and Insomnia are no no for me

Ibar is ok in the sea side open part and Walking street disco (Aka the red car) is a no smoker area

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

I totaly agree

i am in the same situation

except for the discos. i am a non smoker so Lucifer and Insomnia are no no for me

Ibar is ok in the sea side open part and Walking street disco (Aka the red car) is a no smoker area

You could go to that place with the red car on the wall ... it's all non-smoking inside

Oh damn, now I read, you already mentioned the red car 555 never mind ????

2 hours ago, RedPill said:

You could go to that place with the red car on the wall ... it's all non-smoking inside

Oh damn, now I read, you already mentioned the red car 555 never mind ????

Yes the ''red car''is the place to be for the no smokers

and the place to go if you have already a girl with you.

The girls here aren't as young and nice looking as in I bar, 808 or Lucifer

but still some bargain in their 30' and for cheaper.

And the pool tables are nice, you can play your turn for 20 bhts

everybody can play but beware there is some champions regulars here

On 12/16/2019 at 7:52 PM, jacko45k said:

There might be in some of the Disco places!

Either party could say, "Come see me in Lucifer" to someone they have started chatting to on an app. 

One drink, maybe, then off to a hotel. 

You can expect to see more and more girls go freelance here, either in the clubs, or on the apps, as price conscious tourists refuse to pay for lady drinks and bar fines, and that's not just the Indian guys, it's also the western sex tourists who are now on a tighter budget when holidaying here. 

On 12/15/2019 at 8:36 PM, kingdong said:

Perhaps punters know the whole act is paying for sex with a prostitute but prefer the charade of chatting and taking a girl from a beer bar and the gfe,I find gentlemen's clubs ok occasionally for a laugh with a couple of mates but not where i,d want to hire a ho.

This is EXACTLY why Thailand is popular. The faux GFE. They do it well - or used to.

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You can expect to see more and more girls go freelance here, either in the clubs, or on the apps, as price conscious tourists refuse to pay for lady drinks and bar fines, and that's not just the Indian guys, it's also the western sex tourists who are now on a tighter budget when holidaying here. 

While I've not been in a gogo in a decade this has been happening for years. The women are their own worst enemies. They push for a drink, suck it down and move on or just make an excuse and up and go. I was never a lady drink buyer spending so much time in those bars you see everything.

I gu6wirst now is these agency girls who have no intention of hooking up with you but accept a drink which might be ok if they earned it but you know they do the same as the hookers from issan.

Apps are the way to go although I've no idea what apps the girls use.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, kingofthemountain said:

It's an option but trust me by experience

it doesn't work very well

the only chance to pick some chicks is a very drunk one

and it's an embarassment if you have to bang her

when in the same time she is busy to fill your bin with her vomit

The only advantage is it's a cheap experience, she forgot everything

when she woke up, so i put her in a songteaw with 10 bahts in her hand

to go back in her room in Jomtien

never again

So it wasn,t love at first sight?

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

One drink, maybe, then off to a hotel. 

Yes I accept your point. But the one I was making was that many Pattaya resident girls have a card for these Nightclub places which gives them a commission on drinks bought for them. Sometimes you are being played quite obliviously. You probably have had a BF want to 'go see friend' at another venue?

On 12/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes I accept your point. But the one I was making was that many Pattaya resident girls have a card for these Nightclub places which gives them a commission on drinks bought for them. Sometimes you are being played quite obliviously. You probably have had a BF want to 'go see friend' at another venue?

I understand your point. 

With the apps, the guys can direct the girl to any venue they like, which is their choice, or, no venue at all, and have them come direct to the lobby of their hotel.

If a guy likes a particular venue, and they offer commission to the girls, that's still the guy's choice to meet at that venue, or to take the girl to that venue.

I can't see many guys arranging to meet at a bar, in a typical beer bar complex, but it's possible.   

i think it is obvious to all that the average age of the "hostess" "girls" has been going up for a few years now..

But.. a lot of the disappointment is directed at them when the blame should be directed at their employers. Many of the ladies are on daily payouts these days. In my first visit to WS in over a year last week that's what the employment signs were promoting.

The catch for the ladies is that though they are being offered 1000-1500 a day, they are on a quota of 5 lady drinks per day. Each shortfall is applied against their wage. Not at the 50 baht commission they get, but at the full price of a lady drink... 150/200 baht per shortfall. Not many customers or not enough offering to buy them a drink? 3 drink shortfall means their wage is cut 450-600, meaning they could be there dancing all night for 500 baht.

Of course they are going to push the lady drinks with a compensation model like this.

2 hours ago, bobbin said:

Not many customers or not enough offering to buy them a drink? 3 drink shortfall means their wage is cut 450-600, meaning they could be there dancing all night for 500 baht.

I get your point and i agree with your post

however even 500 bahts is well paid, her mother works

actualy for 300/day 8 hours of real hard work in the ricefield

and even a 7/11 employee earn less than 500 bts\day

i mean the gogo dancers are not the most to be pitied, by far

On 12/19/2019 at 7:10 PM, bobbin said:

i think it is obvious to all that the average age of the "hostess" "girls" has been going up for a few years now..

But.. a lot of the disappointment is directed at them when the blame should be directed at their employers. Many of the ladies are on daily payouts these days. In my first visit to WS in over a year last week that's what the employment signs were promoting.

The catch for the ladies is that though they are being offered 1000-1500 a day, they are on a quota of 5 lady drinks per day. Each shortfall is applied against their wage. Not at the 50 baht commission they get, but at the full price of a lady drink... 150/200 baht per shortfall. Not many customers or not enough offering to buy them a drink? 3 drink shortfall means their wage is cut 450-600, meaning they could be there dancing all night for 500 baht.

Of course they are going to push the lady drinks with a compensation model like this.

Your sympathy in misplaced. 

Minimum wage here is 300 baht a day. 

Without any lady drinks or bar fines, they are still well paid. 

Archived