Jump to content
BANGKOK
rooster59

Resort blames guests for their heating technique after family taken to hospital

Recommended Posts

Resort blames guests for their heating technique after family taken to hospital

 

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU5Ni83OTgxNTc4L3Nhbm9va190aHVtYm5haWxfMTIwMHg3MjAtMi5qcGc=.jpg

Caption: No gas leak

 

A resort in the north east of Thailand has pointed the finger of blame at a Singaporean family after they fainted in a Phu Thap Berk room. 

 

Earlier reports suggested the family - parents and a ten year old child who were found unconscious by a friend - had inhaled gas from a faulty water heater. 

 

The resort has told police and tourism officials investigating that there was no gas leak. A gas water heater at the resort is outside and connected by pipes to the rooms.

 

They said that the Singaporeans had been responsible for their own problems after they tried to warm the room in the cold weather. 

 

They said that they had turned on the water heater creating a great deal of steam that then emanated from the ensuite bathroom through the bedroom.

 

With no ventilation and accompanied by fans spreading the steam the consequence was that the family passed out from lack of oxygen. 

 

Doctors at the hospital still thought it was gas, reported Sanook who said that all the members of the family were now out of danger and recovering.

 

Source: Sanook

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-14
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The resort’s excuse is a bunch of hot air

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we get to know the name and location of the resort, or do we just hope it's not the same one we've booked?

 

Never mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if the gas water heater is outside and connected to the rooms by pipes then why is there a huge water heater in the photo in the bathroom that has vents at the side ?? 
If it was outside and just connected to the room by pipes then there would only be two taps or a mixer tap on the wall for the shower I would think !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I think your assessment is spot on. That type of gas heater has the flue at the top. If proper venting is not installed, the fumes come straight into the room.

 

Doctor's statement that 'they thought it was gas' is actually correct. The gas being carbon monoxide.

The heater is outside the room according to the article. If its outside the possibilty of a gas leak or fumes are remote. We have a similar heater and they do not have flues anymore. The modern gas water heaters have safety cut offs in case of gas leaks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

The heater is outside the room according to the article. If its outside the possibilty of a gas leak or fumes are remote. We have a similar heater and they do not have flues anymore. The modern gas water heaters have safety cut offs in case of gas leaks. 

The heater was in the en-suite bathroom. That is quite clear from the picture. The bathroom door must have been open, otherwise the steam/fumes would not have spread into the adjacent bedroom. (left open deliberately to facilitate the warming)

 

As you have one of these heaters, you will know that the combustion fumes vent out from the top and unless there is an outlet flue fitted CO will enter the room. Singaporeans will not be so familiar with the dangers of carbon monoxide living as they do in a tropical hothouse.

 

To me, carbon monoxide poisoning, due to misuse and lack of awareness is the obvious cause of this unfortunate incident.

 

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They said that they had turned on the water heater creating a great deal of steam that then emanated from the ensuite bathroom through the bedroom.

So they made a sauna ? What a feeble excuse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:
18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They said that they had turned on the water heater creating a great deal of steam that then emanated from the ensuite bathroom through the bedroom.

 

11 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So they made a sauna ? What a feeble excuse

A sauna with a dangerous quantity of carbon monoxide! Not a feeble excuse by the owner at all. A bad mistake by the occupant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They said that they had turned on the water heater creating a great deal of steam that then emanated from the ensuite bathroom through the bedroom.

 

With no ventilation and accompanied by fans spreading the steam the consequence was that the family passed out from lack of oxygen

Nice try.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...