Video: Grab vs "Win" turf wars leaves foreigner dumbfounded!

rooster59

14 hours ago, donnacha said:

The existence of Grab actually opened up Chiang Mai for me. Without it, I would go out far less often, and put far less money into the Thai economy, for a very simple reason: I do not enjoy getting ripped off, and even trying to negotiate a fair deal with those lousy red buses was stressful.

Now, regardless of location or time, I can summon a car to pick me up within minutes. I don't have to worry about having the right change, or about the route he takes, or about whether the taxi meter is rigged, and the attitudes of Grab drivers are so much better.

I now have the confidence of knowing that I can go anywhere on a whim, and get back home to the suburbs just as easily.

That has transformed this city for me, at a time when almost every other aspect is getting worse - traffic, rising prices, early burning season, Chinese tourists etc.

The availability of Grab is also a consideration for me when traveling. My upcoming Christmas visit to a smaller city in Vietnam was decided by the fact that Grab is available there. I know that I will be able to fly in and not get ripped off by taxi drivers at the airport, which was previously a rotten start to many Asian trips. I know that it will be easy and cheap for me to explore the region, which is makes it all fun again.

Your post is in line with my experiences also.  It's not the fact I might pay a little more $$ as a foreigner, it is the fact I know in paying more and turns my attitude negative.  I hate getting dressed, leaving my room only to negotiate a fare for a ride somewhere, knowing I will accept the fare because of no alternatives.  This has led me to travel around Thailand much less.  Throw in the tM30 that I have to report to Immigration (45 min drive away from my home) and I haven't left my village in Kalasin since the TM30 was implemented.  Just dont want to put up with it.

However, in the future if I'm out of the village and can put in a location in grab app (or equivalent) and see how much it will cost and know dont have to put up with any nonsense I am much more likely to go out.

In Phnom penh, it's not grab, but another similar company and has changed the landscape greatly.  Couldn't be happier to pay 10% more than my Cambodian friends using the app, as I know it is almost impossible to negotiate the local rate with the regular riders and end up paying around 50% more.

9 hours ago, marke985 said:

In Phnom penh, it's not grab, but another similar company and has changed the landscape greatly.

Hearing that makes me far more likely to visit Phnom Penh, thanks.

Searching online, it appears that the two main apps used there are Uber and PassApp, is PassApp the one you recommend?

On 12/14/2019 at 11:13 PM, PremiumLane said:

That is the main issue. Also when companies like Grab have monopolized and taken over, prices will go up, service will go down and they will pay their riders/drivers less. They only care about their shareholders and fiancers. And before anyone starts crying, that doesn't mean I am codoning the actions of the guy in the video, he is an idiot for pulling out the sword. 

is there any evidence that the introduction of app based taxis services causes prices to rise? i've used such apps in the uk, hk and singapore for several years and find them competitive priced

also, any evidence to suggest service standards will go down? as the app has a feedback feature surely this will encourage good service, not bad, and will help remove those who provide a bad service. indeed you can choose the type of vehicle - i paid a bit more but enjoyed using teslas in hk.

not relevant in many countries but in bangkok, especially for tourists, it's good to know the price of a journey beforehand, no messing about with not using the meter or drivers/riders refusing to go to certain destinations.

53 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Hearing that makes me far more likely to visit Phnom Penh, thanks.

Searching online, it appears that the two main apps used there are Uber and PassApp, is PassApp the one you recommend?

I was in PP and Siem Reap not long ago and they both have Grab. 

Archived