can i object a traffic fine?

Thian

I drove my motobike behind a large van, suddenly we go up on a ramp which i hadn't seen coming at all, i thought it was a U-turn so i just drove up but then there was a policeman who stopped me. I got a fine for driving onto the highway (actually it's an elevated road of boronrachathonni) but i don't feel guilty. I didn't actually drive on that road because i got stopped, also i didn't want to go in that direction, it was all a real misunderstanding..

Anyway, yes i admit i did it and refused to pay a bribe which the officers asked. He said i had to follow him to policestation but suddenly he handed me the driverslicense back and wrote a fine, made many pictures of me and the fine and told me to go to policestation to pay it alone. He also ordered me to drive down the ramp against traffic, which i did.

Will i get trouble if i don't go there to pay? (It's far from home)....and is the fine 3000 baht as they claimed?

I agree it was my fault but it seriously was a mistake...i don't feel guilty at all but okay if they want to fine me for it than they should. Can i object somewhere down the process when i go paying? And what happens if i don't go to pay? They took a picture of my DL...

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

I didn't actually drive on that road because i got stopped, also i didn't want to go in that direction, it was all a real misunderstanding..

3,000 fine for driving on a highway  sounds like a lot ,if you fight it you might be able to reduce it to "Attempted drive" and reduce the fine. :tongue:

How much did he want for a"Bribe"? I would have told him all I had was 300 bht.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

3,000 fine for driving on a highway  sounds like a lot ,if you fight it you might be able to reduce it to "Attempted drive" and reduce the fine. :tongue:

How much did he want for a"Bribe"? I would have told him all I had was 300 bht.

First he wanted 3000, later he asked me to show how much money i had so i showed him like 700...Then he wanted 300, i told him 200...he wanted 300 again, i said okay but then i want a receipt....he refused that...i always hide my big money..

Then the other one told me to go to policestation now together, i said okay but he didn't go...i wanted to call my wife but they also didn't want that. They couldn't speak english and had to use google translate all the time while standing there on the top of the busy ramp.

Now i got the fine and my license back..i will go to pay it but 3000 is too much..i didn't see any sign of that ramp and also didn't know that it was the elevated road for cars only. I didn't want to turn around and drive back against traffic so i just followed the ramp, i thought it would be a U-turn but it wasn't. Yes i was wrong but don't feel like i did anything wrong.

You might be able to negotiate a "discount" at the police station.

You should do that quickly and don't play innocent or dispute the fine as such.

Explain the situation and beg for mercy.

It's a corrupt country. 300 Baht was a real good offer.

3000 Baht might be the upper limit.

You got it for spoiling the cops extra pocket money.

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

First he wanted 3000, later he asked me to show how much money i had so i showed him like 700...Then he wanted 300, i told him 200...he wanted 300 again, i said okay but then i want a receipt....he refused that...i always hide my big money..

Then the other one told me to go to policestation now together, i said okay but he didn't go...i wanted to call my wife but they also didn't want that. They couldn't speak english and had to use google translate all the time while standing there on the top of the busy ramp.

Now i got the fine and my license back..i will go to pay it but 3000 is too much..i didn't see any sign of that ramp and also didn't know that it was the elevated road for cars only. I didn't want to turn around and drive back against traffic so i just followed the ramp, i thought it would be a U-turn but it wasn't. Yes i was wrong but don't feel like i did anything wrong.

The "bribe" would have being your best option.

Of course he would not give you a receipt. 

I agree with you, 3,000 is way too much, he probably did this to mess with you . If you wife goes to court for you nd claims poverty I am sure they will reduce it significantly, 

25 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The "bribe" would have being your best option.

Of course he would not give you a receipt. 

I agree with you, 3,000 is way too much, he probably did this to mess with you . If you wife goes to court for you nd claims poverty I am sure they will reduce it significantly, 

Well they could easy see that i'm not poor, everything i was wearing costed more than 3000...and i will pay 3000 if they want and  wouldn't have mentioned it at all if i really did this on purpose. That boronrachadatonni is such a mess and i drove behind a van with broken indicatorlights, the glass was out i noticed, he also didn't use them before he went onto the ramp...there were no signs that i could see, nothing of that...

Oh well, i won't pay them any bribe money but they got nervous after i also started making pictures of them...and they even didn't guide me down the ramp which is very dangerous, i would never ever drive against traffic..but now i understand why the thai all do it when they see police.

It frustrates me that i even can't explain why i ended up there...they can't speak a word english. Even with my driverslicense in front of him on the desk he asked me my name, where i 'm from...that's all on the license...He also asked me how many fines i got...well zero....he didn't understand that...tsss

I thought it was common knowledge that you cannot drive on highways, you must have

been tailgating that van for some time not to see any signs.

Criticising a Thai traffic policeman for not speaking English seems unfair, it is

not his fault that you cannot speak his language.

Hindsight would suggest that you should have paid the bribe, just chalk it off as lesson 

learned.

6 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Hindsight would suggest that you should have paid the bribe, just chalk it off as lesson 

Do you remember when mr Prayuth was new on top? There are huge fines for policemen asking bribes..and this week he said the war on corruption will get a new push.

I will rather pay the fine, no bribes from me for those lazy guys who are the cause of the mess on the roads and all the accidents.

So driving a motocy on the highway is 3000 baht fine, driving without license is 300...driving with licenseplate is 500....taxi's who scam tourists pay 1000....well i never knew they had fines from 3000 baht in thailand.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Will i get trouble if i don't go there to pay? (It's far from home)....and is the fine 3000 baht as they claimed?

I agree it was my fault but it seriously was a mistake...i don't feel guilty at all but okay if they want to fine me for it than they should. Can i object somewhere down the process when i go paying? And what happens if i don't go to pay? They took a picture of my DL...

post-87530-0-69743200-1461032786.jpg.937c85c21db3d0298103e7cb0fdf5b99.jpg

14 hours ago, Thian said:

they can't speak a word english. Even with my driverslicense in front of him on the desk he asked me my name, where i 'm from...

You do realize that this is Thailand, where the official language is Thai, right? How many police officers in your country can converse in Thai?

Also, seems you are driving using a foreign DL while actually living in Thailand - that's wrong too.

And you keep admitting being wrong (by riding a bike on that ramp) but in the same sentence repeating you don't feel guilty... 

3000 Baht seems a lot in comparison with other fines. You may be facing some trumped up charges for not playing ball with the request to resolve the issue on the spot. 

Post the ticket on here and some Thai readers will be able to identify exactly what the fine is for. 

As Yinn said, just don't pay it - nothing will happen.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

3000 Baht seems a lot in comparison with other fines. You may be facing some trumped up charges for not playing ball with the request to resolve the issue on the spot. 

Post the ticket on here and some Thai readers will be able to identify exactly what the fine is for. 

As Yinn said, just don't pay it - nothing will happen.

I won't post the fine but my wife also said there's no amount mentioned...But she also thinks she will get trouble if i don't pay it..maybe they can see it in their systems when i have to extend my visa?

It's weird that he gave my license back but he did that after i showed him the sticker on my helmet from where i live.

Well if i have to pay 3000 baht i will bring it in 1 baht coins...

I assume you can ask for it to be considered in court. Don’t see any pluses for you though, particularly as you admitted the offense. Not sure I’d even go the route of claiming that the officers asked for a bribe. I think as their English was poor they would claim a misunderstanding on your part.

Not sure if this gets settled after the 19th Dec’ when the license points system kicks in whether you’ll get points taken off of your license.

Anyway , best of luck in pursuing it if you do so.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I won't post the fine but my wife also said there's no amount mentioned...But she also thinks she will get trouble if i don't pay it..maybe they can see it in their systems when i have to extend my visa?

It's weird that he gave my license back but he did that after i showed him the sticker on my helmet from where i live.

Well if i have to pay 3000 baht i will bring it in 1 baht coins...

The Police are no longer permitted to confiscate licenses, unlikely the return of your license had anything to do with where you live or a sticker on your helmet.

If you are unwilling to post a copy of the fine document they left you, it's going to be difficult to offer help. 

No one even knows what the fine is for... You have assumed its for attempting to use the expressway, it may be for something else or even something completely made up. 

19 hours ago, Thian said:

I agree it was my fault but it seriously was a mistake.

seems the facts of the crime are not in contention... I don't think they need be concerned with why you committed the crime or whether or not you are remorseful... 

18 hours ago, Thian said:

i drove behind a van with broken indicatorlights, the glass was out i noticed, he also didn't use them before he went onto the ramp...

but if you are so observant... never mind

19 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes i was wrong but don't feel like i did anything wrong.

Et tu - Billy Budd

18 hours ago, Thian said:

they can't speak a word english.

Dern foreigners... oh wait! It must be me - not in Kansas anymore... 

After reading your post and comments glad that it is only a page and a half!  I can call you lots of things but smart isn't going to be one of them stubborn yes!

All of us have a bit of you in all of us but there is something that comes with age even then there is no guarantee of wisdom? There is time and place for everything but as noted by one poster riding up the ramp no matter what you were thinking you were tailgating, wrongly position most likely position to overtake the major reason you didn't see signs.

Regardless of the police intent you should have paid the fine and I don't have to be there to know because if your answers are anything like what you wrote along with what seems to be a smart ass attitude I can see why the fine is 3000 baht and he is giving you the run around now even Thais know how to <deleted> with a guy run him through the mill as they say, then with Thais he wasn't going to get outsmarted or lose face to a farang especially with the attitude. 

As noted by many you should have quit while you were ahead and paid the 300 baht, but instead " you know you made the mistake but don't feel guilty "  and now if you have to pay going to give it to them in 1 baht that says it all why your spending 3000 extra time to hope we al side with you.

I like to bash the Thais like everyone to get a laugh and vent but in this case you are on your own. I recommend you stand up to this corruption because you are a man don't pay the fine make a statement don't let them push you around I support you but if you got to pick up the soap and feel the burn don't blame me.????‍✈️????

35 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

As noted by many you should have quit while you were ahead and paid the 300 baht, but instead " you know you made the mistake but don't feel guilty "  and now if you have to pay going to give it to them in 1 baht that says it all why your spending 3000 extra time to hope we al side with you.

So you support and cooperate with corruption just to save 100 euro? Well i 'm proud to say that i'm not a cheapskate as you mate, i have morals and money.

And bribing an officer is very illegal, just so you know it.

On 12/14/2019 at 7:57 PM, Thian said:

he wanted 300 again, i said okay but then i want a receipt....

@Thian When they drop from 3K to 300 with a quick payoff, you don't ask for a receipt. And yes you need to go take care of it. They are no longer keeping the licenses, but I'm sure they have someway to punish you in future if you don't.

51 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@Thian When they drop from 3K to 300 with a quick payoff, you don't ask for a receipt. And yes you need to go take care of it. They are no longer keeping the licenses, but I'm sure they have someway to punish you in future if you don't.

I don't pay bribes to police....period. And i want a receipt.

Also i don't understand why i had to drive down the ramp against traffic, i got the fine already so why not let me go over the highway even if i didn't want to go there over the river..When you get a fine for not wearing a helmet you can drive without the rest of the day.

You admitted your guilty so go pay the fine. If you feel they tried to

get you to pay bribe go and tell whomever you think at the police station needs to know it. It’s your choice......  me personally would just paid the fine on the spot.

Guilty you don’t have to feel remorse but it’s still guilty..... 

Archived