Thai Embassy Hanoi intimidating questions?

If you had gone to other places with amount of time spent in Los and being your second application for setv in Hanoi, then thinking you were lucky to obtain one. Try that in Cambodia and see how it goes. Obtain an METV if you wish to stay 6 months+

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Muppet2019 said:

Anyway made me think and very much doubt I will come for a long term or even short holiday again, especially when Vietnam and Cambodia are so welcoming and a lot cheaper.

Wise decision.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

I think the term "holiday maker" vs "long term visitor" needs better defining by the Thai Govt (perhaps).  If I am coming here for 3 weeks or even 3 months, staying in a hotel (or with a friend) and not working .... to many that is a "holiday maker".  

Frankly, I don't know why the Thai Govt just doesn't charge X Baht for a 6 month or 12 month multi entry visa at the start and be done with it vs having me (for example) go to Laos and pay the Consulate there .... 

Go to Phillipines you be welcomed there for long term !

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Go to Phillipines you be welcomed there for long term !

I don't need to.  I'm here on a non-o and work outside of Thailand as a consultant.  

However, it works simply be easier if the Govt has different types of visas under a broader spectrum.  Like I said, having me pay for the visa at the Consulate vs at Immigration in country is silly.  Nevermind the issue of every consulate setting their own rules.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtmartens said:

Like I said, having me pay for the visa at the Consulate vs at Immigration in country is silly.

If you are eligable for a visa exempt you can arrive in Thailand visa exempt and then get a non-immigrant visa at immigration, no need to visit an embassy or consulate.

The process is easier and at times different at consulates.  Savannakhet vs Singapore vs Washington vs in country Immigration offices. 

I qualify in Savannakhet, but not in country for example.  So you are wrong, respectfully, some folks qualify depending where they apply.  Which clearly makes the system broken. 

On 12/14/2019 at 7:38 PM, Muppet2019 said:

Lots of people live here for ages on TV's...

better: Lots of people have been living here for ages on TV's...

A friend has been living here for 15 years on TV's, but recently couldn't get a new SETV in Phnom Penh. 

I have been living here on TV's for 5 years, but have to wrap it up and go elsewhere next year.

I got two SETV's in Saigon in 2016, and for the second had to supply additional documents.

What I don't understand, the embassies make money from visas, and tourists doing visa runs are better than no tourists (what percentage of the Lao economy is visa runners from Thailand?), so they should be as soft as possible to keep people coming for visas.

Edited by ChristianPFC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Philippines not for the cheapest of Charlies,  Thailand from 1500 a month for an apartment,  Philippines 6000 baht monthly. Without a doubt more fun in phil

I keep reading about the wonders of the Philippines. But they do seem to get more than their fair share of natural disasters, typhoons, volcano eruptions, tsunamis and earthquakes.

• Haha 1

I was there just now, multiple tourists with problems, a German girl who returned as her visa was denied on entry too, they didn't help her and she needed to get a new one again as she wants to collect her belongings and leave forever.

I expect her to have lost over 15k baht on that so far too.

They hassled me too, bank statements and needing to pay 80 USD for a single entry non o, much more than elsewhere and nowhere to be able and change money. 

Eventually, 1 hour later, the consular staff changed for me from THB.

Pick up is tomorrow, very late, 4PM.

I am personally really done with this nonsense but I have a Thai child. Going to really try and figure a way to move with my family to another country as soon that is possible.

Tired to be treated like a soi dog while spending plenty over the past 7 years.

Edited by tabarin

1 minute ago, tabarin said:

Tired to be treated like a soi dog while spending plenty over the past 7 years.

This is the part I wish the Govt would understand.  That a majority of us contribute a significant amount of money to the economy and to punish is for all the cheap Charlies is just "bad business".

I'm all for getting rid of those who are trying to stay here on a TV with no funds, but don't punish everyone else. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

Frankly, I don't know why the Thai Govt just doesn't charge X Baht for a 6 month or 12 month multi entry visa at the start and be done with it vs having me (for example) go to Laos and pay the Consulate there .... 

This is just because they are reluctant to face us more than three weeks twice a year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

This is the part I wish the Govt would understand.  That a majority of us contribute a significant amount of money to the economy and to punish is for all the cheap Charlies is just "bad business".

I'm all for getting rid of those who are trying to stay here on a TV with no funds, but don't punish everyone else. 

Well even worse, having a Thai child and family depending on me, and still get difficulties over a visa. 

I have spend well over a million per year in my first 5 years alone. In past year and half supporting a Thai family as well plus a business investment for my wife. 

I earn plenty for yearly requirement but my income cant be certified by embassy as it doesn't come from my home country. 

Will have to legalise my 40k income somehow, even that is likely to be done mid next year, I am tired of Thailand already. They just ruined it.

Easy to talk backwards, if I knew this years ago, I reserved 400k over time to be stuck in a bank. But I was single back then. 

Also, I use cashflow for biz, another 400k isn't nothing for a 28 years old.

O and btw, tourists everywhere here, cheap beers, friendly people. Traffic insane but other than that, amazing. 

Edited by tabarin

Add on: I never seen a embassy so quiet, there were less than 5 people in there at the same time and it looks like a post office setup. 

So for that I have to give them credit, super relaxed and easy building.

However, I suspect that is only because most foreigners already gave up on Thailand.