Stargazing around Pai/chiang dao mountain

hydraides

Can anyone living near pai/ around the countryside of chiang mai away from lights, give me their opinion on how good stargazing is??

Ive slept on mt teide, europe and that was amazing , shooting star visible every few minues

Or Is the pollution/humidity too much to see anything decently

Also has anyone been up chiang dao, how was it?

I am wondering whether it is worth buyinh a plane ticket from phuket to see stargazing near pai

As the previously poster pointed out already, currently you should not come here, at night they are burning so you will not be able to see much.

In the morning when i go outside my PM2.5 monitor shows 100-150 ug/m3 which means an AQI of about 170-200 and i can smell the smoke.

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I have a house in Chiang Dao, I would recommend you to go to doi Ang Khang. 

44316456471_ac9065346f_b.jpg

Thanks for the post

So what is your personally opinion on what stargazing is like in Chiang Dao

The picture you provided looks great, how much does it looks like that in real life or is that because of a very long exposure?

2 hours ago, hydraides said:

So what is your personally opinion on what stargazing is like in Chiang Dao

It's higher up than Chiang Mai so you don't have the smog.

You should get even higher up for the stars, I can imagine doi Chiang Dao would be perfect, but it's a two day trek to get to the top. 

You can easily take a car to doi Ang Khan, beautiful place. 

If you have a big bike it's a beautiful ride. 

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You can easily take a car to doi Ang Khan, beautiful place. 

If you have a big bike it's a beautiful ride. 

Yes, it's a very nice ride. 

I have done it several times on my great big 110 cc "automatic" scooter. 100 kg plus baggage. 

You might try camping overnight at the Doi Pui campground and then after dark hike the road trek to the summit (It’s pitch black on the back side of Doi Pui trail) for star gazing...

จุดสูงสุดดอยปุย doi pui summit
Chang Phueak, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200
https://goo.gl/maps/qV99hu88WL8cm5fK8

0A7B0EBC-84A5-4F8D-89F2-F77485D9FB44.jpeg

092CFB9B-0CA1-4B5D-8641-6214AA69005B.jpeg

I live in CM city and can see plenty of stars every night since the rainy season ended. I would imagine out in the countryside the view is much better but i don't see how it can be any better than in the countryside around Phuket? There are some big mountains in the Surathani/Nakhon si Thamarat area, Khao Luang highest mountain in the south. 

This photo was taken on 29th Nov in Chiang Mai City when Jupiter, Venus, the moon were all close together.

DSCN8280.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

To update

I visited chiang dao and the stargazing there was good/fantastic 

Only problem is soi dogs.......if you want to travel into the high mountains, you might come across a few during the night and likely they will run out into your motorbikes............Soi dogs are really a bane

Archived