I was wrong... the tourists ARE gone!

FolkGuitar

Quote:-

"Perhaps the Chinese are all congregating elsewhere in Chiang Mai"

On a recent visit to Chiang Mai, I found the area around the Maya Centre with all the bars and restaurants, totally packed with Chinese (and possibly other similar Asiatic nationalities) shopping and sightseeing. Different situation up at Doi Suthep which used to be packed with Chinese tour buses - on my visit, just one! On a bright note, there were many "Western-type" tourists using song taow's and motorcycles to visit the famous temple. On a sad note, "The Pub", although maintaining its typical English pub appearance and situated opposite the Maya Centre, has been taken over by the Chinese and now basically operates as a nightclub with live music, pool table, food and drinks etc.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think that "killing" CM nightlife was a good move. Possible the only good move.  Let Chiang Mai be a little bit more wholesome and be famous for its temples and culture instead of sleazy bars. 

Other than that I expect Chiang Mai to suffer more and more each year. 

Too much traffic, too much pollution, too much apathy. 

Might as well go to Bangkok.

23 hours ago, elektrified said:

We passed by there as well. It was slower than I have seen it in years. Parking was not a problem at all.

Ok i was in the Sunday walking street 2 weeks ago and parking was a nightmare as usual.

People keep talking about 'parking' in tourist areas.

While Thai tourists may drive to Chiang Mai, and their cars will be parked somewhere,

just how many foreign tourists will drive to tourist venues?  Parking is hardly a 'foreign' tourist issue, and it's the foreigners who are most obviously not around in the numbers they held 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Let Chiang Mai be a little bit more wholesome and be famous for its temples and culture instead of sleazy bars. 

Let Chiang Mai be a little bit more wholesome than the minds of expats who think it's famous for its "sleazy bars."

~o:37;

On 12/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, Proboscis said:

THe terrible pollution in Chiang Mai

Blue sky outside and the air is much more worst in Bangkok right now. Yes, Chiang Mai has 2 or 3 months per year very bad air - but not 12 months.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, cmsally said:

On the weekends the Night Bazaar area is doubly dead because of the weekend markets

Correct. Most tourists are at the market at the Wua Lai Rd. on Saturday and in the Walking Street at Sunday. At these 2 days the Night Basar is always quiet.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:14 AM, elektrified said:

the Outlet Mall in Hang Dong

This one became very quiet a few weeks after the opening, since the people found out that the prices are not cheaper than in the shopping centers.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, sanemax said:

Going back few years , quite often , most nights , I would see groups of younger tourists wandering about at 1 AM , all wandering around asking where any bars/clubs which are still open.

. I had to tell them that everything was closed

At 1 am they should  all be getting there end away!!!!!!

On 12/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, baansgr said:

CM was always a must see for backpackers, visa restrictions, prices, and what's shared on social media has caused its decline. Vietnam is now the must see for gap year students

Visa restrictions? Tourists can stay with a visa on arrival 30 days in Thailand, in Vietnam only 16 days. Advantage Thailand.

On 12/15/2019 at 11:01 AM, spidermike007 said:

Those tourists, unlike most Chinese tourists, spent anywhere from $100 a day, to over $2,000 a day.

I guess it´s a long time ago that you have visited Chiang Mai. If you come one day, go in the lobbies of the 4 and 5* hotels - many Chinese there. Look in the massage shops - many Chinese there. A friend will open a second restaurant soon, especially for Chinese, because they spend in his current restaurant 800 Baht per person, farangs 200 Baht. And Chinese are not interested in drinking wine. 

The simple guest houses in Chiang Mai, especially the one with dormitories, are empty right now, because the farang guests don´t come. 99% of the Chinese will never sleep in a dormitory.  

On 12/15/2019 at 12:18 PM, SteveK said:

Chiang Mai in my eyes is only the kind of place you'd want to spend 2-3 nights in anyway. It's not exactly exciting really. Much better to stay in Bangkok or go to one of the islands, especially if you've only got a couple of weeks in Thailand.

Really, many tourists spend 1 or 2 weeks in Chiang Mai and are never bored. There is so much to explore in and especially around the city. Tell me ONE island where is more to see than in Chiang Mai and around. I am curious. 

On 12/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, elektrified said:

Yes, there are ALWAYS many Chinese tourists at MAYA, Nimman One, and the area around the Eastin hotel. They spend money like crazy at that intersection.

Oh nooooo, don´t write that. You are destroying the prejudice of many people that Chinese are the cheap tourists they don´t spend money and only the farangs are good for the Thai tourism ????

25 minutes ago, roo860 said:

At 1 am they should  all be getting there end away!!!!!!

Some people like to do other things apart from having sex .

The end away getters are all in Pattaya getting their end away and the ones in CM would like other things to do  

30 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Some people like to do other things apart from having sex .

The end away getters are all in Pattaya getting their end away and the ones in CM would like other things to do  

The young tourists, not the bloody pensioners!

????

On 12/15/2019 at 8:55 AM, ChasingTheSun said:

Tourists probably finally figured out that there is no significant reason to ever visit CM.

Phuket offers everything that CM has, plus lots more.

Have lived in both places and though today it's being raped by Chinese and has been utterly spoiled by the supercilious idiots that run things, aside from having no beaches, CM knocked the second armpit of Thailand on its behind in virtually every department, especially within its surrounds. Your tourists have simply come to the conclusion that the entire country is just not worth the effort and expense so have gone elsewhere... which is what the generals wanted all along of course.

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Have lived in both places and though today it's being raped by Chinese and has been utterly spoiled by the supercilious idiots that run things, aside from having no beaches, CM knocked the second armpit of Thailand on its behind in virtually every department, especially within its surrounds. Your tourists have simply come to the conclusion that the entire country is just not worth the effort and expense so have gone elsewhere... which is what the generals wanted all along of course.

Lol.

nah.

Before you came to Thailand, did you honestly tell yourself:

OK, I'll go on message boards all day and bash the country I've chosen to live in.  I'll rant about others, pollution, and it will be all negative.  That will definitely lead to a purposeful life and a life worth living!!!!  Living the dream!!

TV needs a Xmas party with lots of pictures.....I really need to put a face to all these clowns

Maybe their is truth to this matter based on news I read last month? 

"Deputy Government Spokesperson Traisulee Traisaranakul announced today (Oct 24) that the Cabinet has approved in principle the draft fee waiver extension of Visa on Arrival for an additional six months from the expiry of the initial campaign on Oct 31, until April 30, 2020."

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-extends-visa-on-arrival-fee-waiver-for-six-months-73351.php#pIpwBwwwYUuhmiSl.99

On 12/15/2019 at 3:55 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

Tourists probably finally figured out that there is no significant reason to ever visit CM.

Phuket offers everything that CM has, plus lots more.

My first trip to Phuket was back in 1976. There were about three hotels ($3 a night bungalows) on the west coast. Land was 1,000 baht per rai, beachfront. They could barely give it away. Then again in 1986. It had developed a lot, and was close to perfection. Then again in 1993. It was bordering on being over developed, but still was pleasant. In the past 10 years, it has become southwestern Bali. A blight zone. Over developed beyond reason, traffic congestion is a nightmare, everything is overpriced, and all that remains are some northwestern beaches, and the lovely Andaman. 

I first visited CM in 1986. It was a sheer delight. Perfect. In the past five years it has also become massively over developed, and traffic now is horrendous. As always, major development without any consideration of traffic mitigation, development of better public transportation, monorails, a freeway hub circling the city, etc. Just a huge money grab, without no concern for quality of life. I still like CM. I is perhaps the most progressive city in Thailand, and the city does offer alot. As long as you avoid those months where the air quality rivals Beijing. 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

My first trip to Phuket was back in 1976. There were about three hotels ($3 a night bungalows) on the west coast. Land was 1,000 baht per rai, beachfront. They could barely give it away. Then again in 1986. It had developed a lot, and was close to perfection. Then again in 1993. It was bordering on being over developed, but still was pleasant. In the past 10 years, it has become southwestern Bali. A blight zone. Over developed beyond reason, traffic congestion is a nightmare, everything is overpriced, and all that remains are some northwestern beaches, and the lovely Andaman. 

I first visited CM in 1986. It was a sheer delight. Perfect. In the past five years it has also become massively over developed, and traffic now is horrendous. As always, major development without any consideration of traffic mitigation, development of better public transportation, monorails, a freeway hub circling the city, etc. Just a huge money grab, without no concern for quality of life. I still like CM. I is perhaps the most progressive city in Thailand, and the city does offer alot. As long as you avoid those months where the air quality rivals Beijing. 

The point I was making was in regards to tourism.

For the vast majority of tourists who visit Thailand, there is just no significant reason(s) to go out of the way to visit CM.

In the past, many tourists thought the only place they could ride an elephant or play with tiger cubs was in CM or CR. Now they know that stuff is also available in Phuket.

Phuket offers a large variety of some good/excellent beaches, guaranteed clean air, mountains, an option for world-class nightlife, and excellent air-connections, etc. 

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

The point I was making was in regards to tourism.

For the vast majority of tourists who visit Thailand, there is just no significant reason(s) to go out of the way to visit CM.

In the past, many tourists thought the only place they could ride an elephant or play with tiger cubs was in CM or CR. Now they know that stuff is also available in Phuket.

Phuket offers a large variety of some good/excellent beaches, guaranteed clean air, mountains, an option for world-class nightlife, and excellent air-connections, etc. 

Agreed.

If you want temples, traffic and poisonous air you might as well stay in Bangkok. At least in Bangkok you have half a chance crossing the road without getting struck.

You can just see it in the tourists eyes as you pass them: they're not having fun in Chiang Mai. 

I agreed, comming here for many years. But this year would be my last in Chiang Mai or maybe even in Thailand. Since 10 years I see that Thai are more and more focused only on money and trying to scam and cheat tourists as much as they can. Yesterday my gf and I was robbed here at the place where tuktuk driver took us to continue party when everything was closed. Place called Star Karaoke. They charged us 10.000 Bhat for two beer and when we refused to pay, they slapped my friend and they took all his money away (3000Bhat). We came to police station but because we had no evidence (of course they didn't give us a bill for beating) police didn't treat us seriously. From the goodman translator on the police station I get information that everyday someone is coming to them because of this place but police will not do anything cause the owner of this place is policeman (sick!). More and more I see this place corupted and focused only on money. Thats why it was my last time here ever.

3 hours ago, Franko44 said:

I agreed, comming here for many years. But this year would be my last in Chiang Mai or maybe even in Thailand. Since 10 years I see that Thai are more and more focused only on money and trying to scam and cheat tourists as much as they can. Yesterday my gf and I was robbed here at the place where tuktuk driver took us to continue party when everything was closed. Place called Star Karaoke. They charged us 10.000 Bhat for two beer and when we refused to pay, they slapped my friend and they took all his money away (3000Bhat). We came to police station but because we had no evidence (of course they didn't give us a bill for beating) police didn't treat us seriously. From the goodman translator on the police station I get information that everyday someone is coming to them because of this place but police will not do anything cause the owner of this place is policeman (sick!). More and more I see this place corupted and focused only on money. Thats why it was my last time here ever.

Sorry this happened to you, but it's been going on for years.

17 hours ago, Franko44 said:

So sorry this happened to you but, really, if you have been coming here for years you should have been aware that getting a tuktuk to take you to a karaoke very late at night was not going to end well. I hope you also complained to Tourist police and gave due publicity on social media. you wont get any cash back but maybe you can embarrass them and help protect others from this scam

11 minutes ago, beau thai said:

So sorry this happened to you but, really, if you have been coming here for years you should have been aware that getting a tuktuk to take you to a karaoke very late at night was not going to end well. I hope you also complained to Tourist police and gave due publicity on social media. you wont get any cash back but maybe you can embarrass them and help protect others from this scam

might want to wait to leave thailand first unless want to add a defamation charge (and 6+ months in thailand to fight it) to your woes

On 12/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, Ventenio said:

Before you came to Thailand, did you honestly tell yourself:

OK, I'll go on message boards all day and bash the country I've chosen to live in.  I'll rant about others, pollution, and it will be all negative.  That will definitely lead to a purposeful life and a life worth living!!!!  Living the dream!!

TV needs a Xmas party with lots of pictures.....I really need to put a face to all these clowns

And that is the truth about TV. Think how many expats live in Chiang Mai and how many regular posters there are on here. 99% of expats avoid TV like the plague because they know that it is full of complainers and people who have a patalogical hatred of all things Thai. Just read any of the stories in the Thai news section. Just post after post bashing Thais and Thailand.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, ChasingTheSun said:

I can’t speak for everyone, but that was certainly not why I went to Chiang Mai, or why friends or family enjoy it here.

The attraction is that it’s more “authentic” as it has been a city long before tourists came, so you have regular life here with universities, shops, restaurants, temples, picnic destinations frequented by locals, night/food markets for locals, villages/areas known for certain crafts that you can visit, you can walk around in the old city and see loose chickens, you can trek to hill tribes and see them plant rice in the fields, etc.

Sure, tourism has “cheapened” many things, there are now hill tribe villages with an entrance fee that sell souvenirs manufactured in factories, Kad Manee Market seems to be a tourist friendly version of Huay Tung Tao, One Nimman and most of the surrounding area seems to be built solely for tourists, etc. So you may have to look a bit further today to get what is missing in Phuket.

I don’t want to disrespect Phuket, and Phuket consist of several areas with different vibes, but the most touristy is Patong and nothing there is “authentic”, everything is built for tourists and staffed by migrant workers, i.e. no-one that works there are actually from the area, so there is little “local life” (and culture), everything is overpriced because it is for tourists, everyone there is there to sell you something, and they expect you to have no idea about what things normally cost in Thailand or the products offered, e.g. I went to a seafood restaurant and the waiter suggests a Tilapia (freshwater fish) that cost twice what I would pay in Chiang Mai: Just ridiculous! Transportation also suck because again, everyone there is just there to make money off tourists, so prices are inflated and there is no “local” alternative.

Archived