Sorry, But It's Time To Leave

PhonThong

The wife has finally decided it is time to leave Thailand. She is coughing due to the air pollution,just like I have been for a couple of years.  She says, "enough is enough".

Also, with Immigration demanding we keep 800,000 baht in the bank that we basically cannot use. She is very disappointed with the way her country is treating the expats. She feels so ashamed.

My extension of stay runs out in Sept. Even though I have the money in the bank, she has been reading how some expats have been given a hard time by immigration on monthly deposits not being accepted and they want the 800,000 method used. I wanted to go the monthly deposit route, but that seems like a dead end. 

It is a sad day really for the both of us. Our dream of staying in Thailand has come to an end. But, it is so uncertain what the future holds for Thailand and its people, that I have to agree to leave. I believe the Thai government will demand that all long term stayers have health insurance. The fact that I am in my late 60's with existing conditions is a no brainer. I will not be able to obtain insurance. But, if I we go home, we are both covered in full.  So farewell, Thailand. Would like to say I'll miss you, but that is not true.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought a married Visa was 400,000 in the bank?

Monthly of 40,000 is a dead end?   

Anyway, sorry to see you leave due mostly it seems your complaints/excuses about inability to qualify for the stay rules.  

Life is full of constant changes but I understand some have difficulty adjusting. 

You will be missed and good luck with the next chapter of your life.

The pollution alone was enough to make me leave. I knew it was bad but I didn't realise quite how bad until I left. I used to get ill often, even though I lead a healthy lifestyle. Home isn't as exciting or interesting as Thailand, but not getting sick from the pollution was reason enough to leave. No regrets here.

For the OP

what was your initial visa? O or OA

for now only the OA and OA based extension of stay are concerned by the mandatory insurance.

If you are married to a Thai, you can also go to a marriage visa, and you can avoid the mandatory

insurance and keep ''only'' 400 000 in the bank. (And not 800 000)

For the air pollution yes it's a real issue

some area are more polluted than others

Phuket or Hua hin are less impacted than Chiang mai or Bangkok.

Anyway good luck with your changes, it's not easy to do the good choices 

Don't be sorry...you gave it your best shot but the deck is stacked against you...

I received a years extension in Sept...needed more time to wrap up my affairs and left in Nov with 10 months left on my approved visa...

Now my healthcare coverage is assured...I have eaten rice only once since returning to civilization...my favorite wine is less than $3 per litre and I am in full OD mode with American college and pro football.

Holiday season will be wonderful this year.

Oh..and I no longer even think of those bastions of good will at immigration anymore.

Where will you go?

And are you sure that you, and especially her, will be happier in that place?

I know Thailand is far away from perfect and other places have their advantages. But how is the overall situation in that new place?

From the last time I was "home" I remember lots of old people on the streets. Lots of people with a face like it was cold and raining every day. And probably it was cold and raining every day. But at least less air pollution...

14 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Don't be sorry...you gave it your best shot but the deck is stacked against you...

I received a years extension in Sept...needed more time to wrap up my affairs and left in Nov with 10 months left on my approved visa...

Now my healthcare coverage is assured...I have eaten rice only once since returning to civilization...my favorite wine is less than $3 per litre and I am in full OD mode with American college and pro football.

Holiday season will be wonderful this year.

Oh..and I no longer even think of those bastions of good will at immigration anymore.

A butterball turkey set me back a lot less thisThanksgiving then the standard 6,000 Baht and up price in Thailand. You can only imagine what birds they sell in Thailand that don't meet domestic standards and the voyage those birds had. 

I also washed it down with something better than Chang. Indeed life is good.

To the OP just get into a property you can afford before the prices get too high. The millennial are buying everything and anything in tier 2 and even 3 locales. If you have a place to live paid for anywhere in the west things are pretty easy.

Im just reading visa free entry to Kazakhstan for Thai people, wonder what the midget would think about living in -20 degrees?

We did spend 3 months in Northern Cypress last year it was great at least I got a decent Kebab and a nice bottle of vino for less than 150 Baht, not sure I could live there permanently I believe it can get cold on that northern coast in their winter

5 hours ago, PhonThong said:

The wife has finally decided it is time to leave Thailand. She is coughing due to the air pollution,just like I have been for a couple of years.  She says, "enough is enough".

Also, with Immigration demanding we keep 800,000 baht in the bank that we basically cannot use. She is very disappointed with the way her country is treating the expats.

If my wife had the choice, i.e. if she had control of my finances she would have us all back in the old country which would be difficult as its very expensive to live, talking between 60,000 and 70,000 baht per month to rent for a family of 6 vs zero here. We are not looking forward to the burning season, and if anything will make me go to plan C and return to the old country, it will be not being able to handle the smoke, hence the reason I am actioning plan B, that is moving to an area that has the least smoke/pollution for two months of the year as the other 10 months the air is relatively ok using the IQAir AirVisual app.

Have you thought about changing the visa as the requirement as another posted advised is half of what the retirement visa requires, i.e. 400,000 baht and you can access it after it's approved.

5 hours ago, PhonThong said:

she has been reading how some expats have been given a hard time by immigration on monthly deposits not being accepted and they want the 800,000 method used. I wanted to go the monthly deposit route, but that seems like a dead end. 

From what I have read, they cannot change the rules and you can use the monthly route, Ubonjoe can bring you up to speed or provide you with a link stating such which you could hand to immigration.

6 hours ago, PhonThong said:

It is a sad day really for the both of us. Our dream of staying in Thailand has come to an end. But, it is so uncertain what the future holds for Thailand and its people, that I have to agree to leave. I believe the Thai government will demand that all long term stayers have health insurance.

Your dream is yours, and there is no real reason that you have to wake up from that dream yet, just look at alternatives, i.e. if YOU want to stay here, they haven't demanded health insurance cover for anyone else than those with O/A visa's after 31 October 2019 so don't jump the ship just yet.

6 hours ago, PhonThong said:

The fact that I am in my late 60's with existing conditions is a no brainer. I will not be able to obtain insurance. But, if I we go home, we are both covered in full.  So farewell, Thailand. Would like to say I'll miss you, but that is not true.

Rethink your wife's decision, I mean how will you feel, talk to her about relocating within Thailand, somewhere less polluted for xyz months of the year, yes it will cost you in rent and to get there and back, but walking along the beach at sunset might just brighten things up for a while, while you breath in some fresh air.

The above said, if you've made your mind up and are going, bon voyage and hope it all is worth it for you and your wife.

46 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

A butterball turkey set me back a lot less thisThanksgiving then the standard 6,000 Baht and up price in Thailand. You can only imagine what birds they sell in Thailand that don't meet domestic standards and the voyage those birds had.

I saw buttballs the other day for Bt650 a kg and thought "damn that expensive".... but 6k for one..... holy sheeet !

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes your correct and the 400,000 bht amount only needs to be seen in a Thai bank for 2 months.

As for OP's air pollution wherever he lives there are other places in Thailand, maybe he don't that like it seems about other things.

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

For the air pollution yes it's a real issue

some area are more polluted than others

Phuket or Hua hin are less impacted than Chiang mai or Bangkok.

Hua Hin is as bad as Bangkok for 3 months of the year when the prevailing wind blows from the north and basically blows all the pollution down over us. that wind runs from nov-end jan

it sucks right now - AQI 120+ last few days 150+, kids coughing, windows closed and staying in. <deleted>ty time to be here

59 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The signature in the OP leads me to believe he is an American. I could be wrong.

I am an American. I am fully covered by Tricare and Medicare. That is why we made the decision. Not much sense in buying some foolish Thai insurance policy, if I was able to. Just to be denied payment. I had AIS insurance a couple of years ago. But, they canceled my policy.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Anyway, sorry to see you leave due mostly it seems your complaints/excuses about inability to qualify for the stay rules.  

Life is full of constant changes but I understand some have difficulty adjusting. 

You will be missed and good luck with the next chapter of your life.

I have no problem qualifying to stay. I is just that this is not the same place I have come to know for the past 47 years. I can't watch my wife of 30 years get sick from the air as I have. 

4 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

I am an American. I am fully covered by Tricare and Medicare. That is why we made the decision. Not much sense in buying some foolish Thai insurance policy, if I was able to. Just to be denied payment. I had AIS insurance a couple of years ago. But, they canceled my policy.

America is the greatest country on Earth. Just get a house and enjoy yourself.

Had to move from Bang Na Trat due to the pollution, never had bronchitis in my life until living there, there road system must be 24 lanes over and under. Not that better where we are now, the air is filthy everywhere and all they do is monitor it

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Don't get me wrong , and I don't condone the users, but all this moaning when you can get an agent to do it for 13 or 14 k a year if you need them seems a bit like making an excuse sometimes for leaving.

That said , I'd go tomorrow if I could get through the UK visa rules for the wife.

You can't get an agent to do anything about the filthy air, which is his main concern. We know all about the corrupt way of staying here by paying wads of money to bypass the money requirements, some would rather not.

15 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

You can't get an agent to do anything about the filthy air, which is his main concern. We know all about the corrupt way of staying here by paying wads of money to bypass the money requirements, some would rather not.

so are you saying he's moving his family out of their birth country because of polluted air quality  ?

I'm sure he could move elsewhere in Thailand that has clean air and no pollution ….  nearer the ocean for instance …  ? seems a bit of an overreaction to me. He can manage the 800k problem if he really wants too …. health insurance is not required as this time. 

I would say maybe 60% odds the OP is an American, since a few words are slightly uncommon for a native American.  Of course it doesn't matter, just a fun game.

Pollution is a thing.  We are all idiots for coughing, taking medicine, wearing face masks even one day a year.....pollution will kill us.  destroy our brain, lower our immunity, really destroy our lives.

but we want to prove to ourselves and everyone we were smart in picking LOS.  I'll never go back to CM.   

If you value your health and can simply get your ducks in order.....quit being bored every day and waiting until you die.  Vietnam it is.

i have a job but will leave in two months because i have options and i'm smart enough to find a better place to live.  

you save 1 million by moving to Thailand but die 10 years earlier because of the smoke.   and then there are the headaches....and the roads.   

it's great when it's great, but the negatives are too negative.  

Archived