SURVEY: Raising the speed limit -- Good or Bad?

Scott

SURVEY: Raising the speed limit -- Good or Bad?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The issue of speed limits has been discussed in the past, however, it appears the government may go ahead with the proposal, which would increase it to 120 KPH on some roads with a minimum speed of 80 KPH.   In your opinion which of the following option best expresses your opinion on the issue?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

20 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

They often refuse to move and force "undertaking" //

Yes, but how is it a problem? :ermm:

If the line on his left is free, just do it.

And to reply to the OP: limitation is still 130 km/h on freeways in my country, so 120 km/h seems a good move.

4pm1.jpg.8418003ce24de88211e4469e2645793

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

The steering wheel is on the right, the car is set up to overtake on the right, not the left! Lot easier and safer if they just Move!

1 hour ago, Chris Hopkins said:

Raising the speed limit on certain roads is a good idea since many already drive at that speed.  A minimum of 80 kph is also good news, but how will the police enforce this ?

The problem is that even then people will drive over the speed limit, and if now at 80kph they drive 120 kph.  at 120 kph they will drive 140 kph. 

Increasing the speed might get people where they are going faster, but It will certainly not get them there safer.

I think the problem in thailand is one of safety, and for too many not getting there at all, not one of getting there too slow.

Increasing the speed limit is a stupid idea, with much more negative results thand positive. 

When the Thai people learn to follow the road laws and handle their cars in properly then they need proper enforcement on the roads 24/7, then I might say raise the speed limits. First I would think about all the scooters on these narrow roads before doing anything.  

Enforcing traffic laws would be a much better idea.

As much as I'd hate to have to follow western highway codes for fear of getting a ticket, having police enforcement for illegal passing, illegal turning, driving the wrong way on a street, driving on a sidewalk, etc. might do a lot more to improve traffic flow and traffic safety.

WOW, 120 kph, if it becomes law, you will now see idiots on the road doing 140Kph. Looks like the government want to get rid of some people quick, maybe its a new " How do we reduce the population in Thailand" easy, create more carnage on the roads, that should make the average deaths here rise by at least another 25%. I want some of the drugs these people are taking!

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

And to reply to the OP: limitation is still 130 km/h on freeways in my country, so 120 km/h seems a good move.

Not a problem driving at 120Kph, unfortunately, Thais when it comes to road safety and defensive driving is non existent, not to mention they have no common sense.

5 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

WOW, 120 kph, if it becomes law, you will now see idiots on the road doing 140Kph. Looks like the government want to get rid of some people quick, maybe its a new " How do we reduce the population in Thailand" easy, create more carnage on the roads, that should make the average deaths here rise by at least another 25%. I want some of the drugs these people are taking!

I drive on the 7 motorway every day to and from work, I travel 120km/h.

There is plenty that go past me like Iam standing still, raising the speed limit will only benefit those that do the limit, cause the speedsters dont care.

Those that do speed should be penalised accordingly, doing 210km/h in a 100km/h zone is only a Bt1,000 fine according to a friend that has been caught a few times and really is not a deterrent.

I definitely think the speed limit should be raised. This will mean more idiots that don’t know how to drive, have never been taught road rules, will die. I’m all for that. It boggles my mind that Thai drivers have no idea why the road has lanes painted on them. And Thai drivers seem to think every  turn in a road means they HAVE to cut the corner. Staying in their own lane.....hahaha. That’s only for  Farangs. Solid lines, dotted lines, all same same for Thai drivers. I laugh when I hear about the death toll on Thai roadways. Ohh and have you heard how the government is going to come up with some magic to reduce the death toll over the New Year weekend. With zero road rule enforcement......impossible. I see cops standing on corners watching illegal U turns, pick ups over loaded with passengers in the back. Mai pben rai.

People will drive as fast or as slow as they wish. There is no monitor for going too slowly and driving a car over the white line marking the motorbike lanes. There are few speed cameras on the highways and minor roads and none by schools. No police to be seen anywhere policing the traffic laws where I live except perhaps during festivals.

120kph limit is good, as long as there are no U turns from and into the outside lanes. Traffic slowing for U turns can be as bad as those already turning. In Ubon, near Central, 4 abreast through the U turn sometimes, never mind oncoming traffic.

41 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

increase speeds on roads that have already have demonstrated to be lethal?

Nothing wrong with the roads is the *r*v**s - fill in the * spaces for enlightenment & knowledge :wink:

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Let me guess, you are from the USA, and yes I know, there it is common, keep your lane.

But in many countrys in Europe, it is not allowed, and I have to say, it makes me more scary, in particular when I see drivers who are taking the most left lane and also the emergency lane because of being able to catch up quickly.

That people can not drive orderly, and are a big danger for other people, I don't talk about therselve.

I voted to increase the speed limit presumably on the major roads. People are doing the speed anyway so why penalise them?  Just revenue raising.

Same as cannabis, people especially kids are being turned into criminals because of silly laws.

I honestly think the 80 kph rule in towns should be reduced to 60 or 50kph. 80 kph or 50 mph is crazy in a built up area. BKK Pattaya and maybe Phuket residents might never see these speeds due to traffic but rest assured those of us out in the sticks do. Plain nuts to drive that fast in those conditions.

2 hours ago, ecoscape said:

A minimum speed limit for the overtaking lane! And big fines for those who do not keep left

As far as I know there is no overtaking lane nor any obligation for a car driver to keep left. The left lane is for slower vehicles such as trucks. Don't forget there are often multiple speed limits on the same road depending on the vehicle. 

Fell free to drive in the left lane with the trucks at 80k. Give me a wave as I go past in the right hand lane.

Perhaps it is time for  you to get a Thai driving license and learn the road rules?

2 hours ago, Kurtf said:

I definitely think the speed limit should be raised. This will mean more idiots that don’t know how to drive, have never been taught road rules, will die. I’m all for that. It boggles my mind that Thai drivers have no idea why the road has lanes painted on them. And Thai drivers seem to think every  turn in a road means they HAVE to cut the corner. Staying in their own lane.....hahaha. That’s only for  Farangs. Solid lines, dotted lines, all same same for Thai drivers. I laugh when I hear about the death toll on Thai roadways. Ohh and have you heard how the government is going to come up with some magic to reduce the death toll over the New Year weekend. With zero road rule enforcement......impossible. I see cops standing on corners watching illegal U turns, pick ups over loaded with passengers in the back. Mai pben rai.

What percentage of road fatalities occur on the present, well constructed, motorways? Not too many I would wager.

2 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

People will drive as fast or as slow as they wish. There is no monitor for going too slowly and driving a car over the white line marking the motorbike lanes. There are few speed cameras on the highways and minor roads and none by schools. No police to be seen anywhere policing the traffic laws where I live except perhaps during festivals.

120kph limit is good, as long as there are no U turns from and into the outside lanes. Traffic slowing for U turns can be as bad as those already turning. In Ubon, near Central, 4 abreast through the U turn sometimes, never mind oncoming traffic.

Ah the motorbike lane myth. It is the hard shoulder not part of the actual driving pavement regardless of how people use it. Motorbikes are supposed to drive in the left lane. I doubt it will ever happen but I wish people would stop putting themselves in danger riding off road. All good until you come to a bridge and your motorbike lane suddenly disappears and you find your self on the real road with cars and trucks rapidly closing on your ar$e.

Archived