SURVEY: Raising the speed limit -- Good or Bad?

Scott

SURVEY: Raising the speed limit -- Good or Bad?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes raise the speed limit in a country that has the highest road deaths per 100,000 people

When we are in Thailand & I watch how most Thai's drive I always think cars there should come with a governor that limits speeds to about 32kph

Because really the majority of drivers in Thailand have no sense of speed/closure rates etc

They never use that other pedal to the left of the accelerator

Not kidding they can be approaching a small village with a market in bloom or cars double parked on both sides of road. Do they

slow down reduce speeds/ dab the brakes? Nope usually maintain already too high speed or even increase

No sorry but this country of Thailand is not ready for higher speeds they are barely ready for motorized transport & that includes

so called professional drivers of Silver Vans/ Lor Daengs/ Big Rigs etc etc

16 hours ago, CGW said:

The steering wheel is on the right, the car is set up to overtake on the right, not the left! Lot easier and safer if they just Move!

That would mean using the shiny things that are fitted to cars called mirrors. Yes I know they are for checking your hair, spot picking and hanging things on, but, strangely enough if positioned correctly you can use them to see what's behind you, honestly!!

They can be a nuisance when you're drunk because of the focus problem but if you concentrate and cover one eye you can get around that by going faster and that means there is something wrong with the speed limit as it doesn't fit with your style of driving at the time.

120kph is fine on the expressway and the Chon Buri motorway and other similar roads that have limited access.  It's not a good idea to have it on other highways where you have roads intersecting.  Before you know it, Somchai, who is going 140kph in the right lane, decides to suddenly swerve over and pull off the road because he decides to stop at a roadside somtum seller/pineapple seller/or other attraction that is along the shoulder of the highway.  

On highways where the common flow of traffic is already at speeds of 120, raising the speed limit actually increases road safety.

The safest speed to travel on a road is always the same speed as everyone else. The outliers, whether too fast or too slow, are the ones that cause accidents. If everyone else is doing 120 but you insist on doing 90 because that is the official speed limit, you are not contributing to road safety. You are in fact a road hazard that everyone else must avoid.  It is better to raise the limit to 120 so that those going significantly slower will not use an artificially low speed limit as a reason not to travel with the flow of traffic.

The key to understanding optimum speed is the common flow of traffic. One idiot doing 190 in his Lambo does not mean everyone should do 190. But 90 is equally unsafe on many highways where most people commonly drive faster.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:17 PM, emptypockets said:

As far as I know there is no overtaking lane nor any obligation for a car driver to keep left. The left lane is for slower vehicles such as trucks. Don't forget there are often multiple speed limits on the same road depending on the vehicle. 

Fell free to drive in the left lane with the trucks at 80k. Give me a wave as I go past in the right hand lane.

Perhaps it is time for  you to get a Thai driving license and learn the road rules?

I refer you to your last sentence.

Have a look at the attachment - Sect. 33 and sect. 34, p.5.

Thai Traffic Laws.pdf

Thais have significant problems with spatial awareness, time awareness, and virtually no understanding of commonly understood traffic laws and skillsets understood in the West such as yielding the right of way and how to merge into traffic.  From what I can see on the roads the majority of Thai drivers simply do not possess adequate driving skills and the statistics regarding the slaughter on Thai roads reinforces my opinion.  So what a great idea - "Let's Increase The Speed Limit by another 33%."  What possibly could go wrong?  :whistling: 
My guess is back to Number 1 on the World's Most Dangerous Roads list. 

Archived