Over 8,000 foreigners have a Thailand Elite Card, surge in applicants in 2019

rooster59

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Funny, when I saw the headline I was immediately curious which nations led the pack. I immediately thought of China and Japan. Given US has more wealthy expats and far larger population as a whole Is not surprising. France is a surprise. All the smart French abandoning wealth taxes and the changing face of the nation. 

It's weird as i have never seen a chinese using it. There's however ALWAYS other westerners when i use it.

I think most chinese elite visas are from property deals, you buy a condo and get a thai elite visa on top of it. 

3 hours ago, Momofarang said:

I thought that according to forum rules we shouldn't "suggest illegal activity".

The rules simply say you can't discuss illegal activity.

Except in the minds of some that seem somewhat concerned that their own strict compliance with published rules is being somehow diminished by those that don't, for the time being, there's no evidence that agent-sourced extensions are illegal. I think we would know about it when it is.

1 hour ago, SmartyMarty said:
1 hour ago, BMW Overlander said:

Yup, 8000 mugs with money and peace of mind.

You would be one too if able to afford ????

I can afford many times over, I'm just not gullible.

Comfortably well off and living in Thailand?

Proof if ever proof were needed that having money just doesn't guarantee having common sense.

48 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

What happens when you flash those cards at immigration? More smiles? More wais? Free coffee? An exclusive "we won't point at random things in your passport and get angry" privilege?

Guaranteed fast track is good enough for me. Personally, I don't like Immigration's coffee much.

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:
7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Elite Card holders can benefit from between 5 and 20 year multiple entry visas and other perks including the use of limousine services, golf and spa access, free medical check ups and help with banking and legal matters and 90 day reporting.

90 day reporting is a benefit! wow who knew and i get mine for free

"...help with banking and legal matters and 90 day reporting".

He said "help with 90-day reporting", he didn't suggest 90-day reporting was a benefit.

4 hours ago, Momofarang said:
4 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Albeit at a slightly higher price (12.5K to 17K), this is already available from many immigration offices and agents located throughout the Kingdom.

I thought that according to forum rules we shouldn't "suggest illegal activity".

Since when has "using an agent" been an illegal activity?

47 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

They come and collect your passport, take it away and do the report for you. You don’t have to waste time and money going to immigration and doing it yourself. If your time is “free”, you are very unusual, my time is worth a fortune to me. 

You can do the 90 days report in 3 minutes on the Immigration app, less than the time to set up an appointment with the ELITE company.

I have long thought that not having a 10K per month equivalent to the Elite visa was a massive missed opportunity for Thailand.

The problem with the Elite visa is not exactly the cost but the commitment. For most younger folks, planning five years ahead based on a country that is changing so quickly on every level, and is politically unstable at its core, is a lot to ask.

Reading the stories about the erratic behavior of Immigration officers does not engender a feeling of trust in the Thai authorities in general. In the North, the apparent expansion of the burning season into December undermines even further the idea of staying year-round here. The brief gathering of energy around the digital nomad scene has now dissipated in the face of Tourist and Education Visa crackdowns, the buzz has clearly moved on to other countries.

So, half a million or one million in one go, while that is fine for some people in some circumstances, it misses a far larger opportunity: regular foreigners on regular budgets with no particular masterplan.

If they took the current one-time 30-day visa extension for 1,900 baht and augmented it with an unlimited-times 30-day extension for 10,000, everyone would complain about it, would swear they would never pay it ... but ... when faced with the hassle of organizing a flight and hotel elsewhere, would end up paying it "just this one time" but, then, would keep doing it, effectively paying a $10 per day tax for the convenience of just staying in Thailand.

This would cannibalize the current 8,000 Elite holders but would open up a far, far larger market. The amount of money they are leaving on the table is mind-boggling.

2 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

They come and collect your passport, take it away and do the report for you. You don’t have to waste time and money going to immigration and doing it yourself. If your time is “free”, you are very unusual, my time is worth a fortune to me. 

So you pay 500,000 to 1 million baht to have someone do your 90 day report, which can be done online or through the mail for free? Wow.

5 minutes ago, zydeco said:

So you pay 500,000 to 1 million baht to have someone do your 90 day report, which can be done online or through the mail for free? Wow.

Some very selective understanding there... 

90 day report - Yes, you can send your passport to the Elite Office and they will do your 90 day report for you, or you can just do it yourself or through the mail. But, that is not the point of the Thai Elite Visa is it?

The SE and PE visa's offer a very simple trouble free solution for a cost - its that simple. 

When I read all the threads about retirement Visa (O and OA visas), the income requirements or Minimum seasoned balance, or the Marraige Visa and income requirements, the dancing through hoops to meet these requirements I consider the Elite Visa money well spent. 

When I look at the huge queues in Immigration on my regular trips in and out of Thailand, I consider the Money well spent. 

When I am returning to Thailand and know for certain that I will not face so much as a raised eyebrow I consider it money well spent.

Others, prefer to spend their money elsewhere, I see value in the Thai Elite Visa system, it works extremely well for me and has been the perfect solution to potential visa woes for 14 years (for me), I imagine others feel the same. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some very selective understanding there... 

90 day report - Yes, you can send your passport to the Elite Office and they will do your 90 day report for you, or you can just do it yourself or through the mail. But, that is not the point of the Thai Elite Visa is it?

The SE and PE visa's offer a very simple trouble free solution for a cost - its that simple. 

When I read all the threads about retirement Visa (O and OA visas), the income requirements or Minimum seasoned balance, or the Marraige Visa and income requirements, the dancing through hoops to meet these requirements I consider the Elite Visa money well spent. 

When I look at the huge queues in Immigration on my regular trips in and out of Thailand, I consider the Money well spent. 

When I am returning to Thailand and know for certain that I will not face so much as a raised eyebrow I consider it money well spent.

Others, prefer to spend their money elsewhere, I see value in the Thai Elite Visa system, it works extremely well for me and has been the perfect solution to potential visa woes for 14 years (for me), I imagine others feel the same. 

Indeed, some short sighted comments any time PE topics come up. For many, myself included it's a hassle free option which I'm willing to use.

Elite card makes you a notch higher than a lowly farang with a visa. You still are a guest forever especially if you are Caucasian. Meanwhile, Thais go to you country stay for two or more years and have all the rights a local has. Thailand has always had racist, xenophobic laws.

5 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

So that's 8000 mugs then.

Lifetime Elite Visa Cost... 1 Million baht (14 years ago) - at the time approx. US$26,000.

That works out a $5 per day for Trouble Free Visa for the past 14 years, it gets cheaper by the day. 

If I live in Thailand for 40 years (I got the Visa when I was 30) it would cost approximately $1.80 per day.

20 Year Elite Visa Cost... 1 Million baht (now) - at the time approx. US$33,100.

That works out a $4.5 per day for Trouble Free Visa (137 baht per day)

Who's the Mug again? 

I only see Mugs complaining about long Immigration lines, complaining that they can't get the 800,000 baht seasoned or can't get an Affirmation of Income letter.

Those who can readily afford 500,000 baht or 1 MB for a trouble free stay in Thailand have taken a very convenient solution - I'm not so sure they are Mugs. 

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who's the Mug again? 

The   person who doesnt read the Elite  rules which THEY  or  Immigration can change at any time and at a  time when things are already quite unsettled for foreigners regarding visas...............now if they stated  that this visa was for 20 years and CANNOT be changed during its  lifetime or any new requirements would be exempt  that would be a different matter............but they CANT

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

I have long thought that not having a 10K per month equivalent to the Elite visa was a massive missed opportunity for Thailand.

The problem with the Elite visa is not exactly the cost but the commitment. For most younger folks, planning five years ahead based on a country that is changing so quickly on every level, and is politically unstable at its core, is a lot to ask.

Reading the stories about the erratic behavior of Immigration officers does not engender a feeling of trust in the Thai authorities in general. In the North, the apparent expansion of the burning season into December undermines even further the idea of staying year-round here. The brief gathering of energy around the digital nomad scene has now dissipated in the face of Tourist and Education Visa crackdowns, the buzz has clearly moved on to other countries.

So, half a million or one million in one go, while that is fine for some people in some circumstances, it misses a far larger opportunity: regular foreigners on regular budgets with no particular masterplan.

If they took the current one-time 30-day visa extension for 1,900 baht and augmented it with an unlimited-times 30-day extension for 10,000, everyone would complain about it, would swear they would never pay it ... but ... when faced with the hassle of organizing a flight and hotel elsewhere, would end up paying it "just this one time" but, then, would keep doing it, effectively paying a $10 per day tax for the convenience of just staying in Thailand.

This would cannibalize the current 8,000 Elite holders but would open up a far, far larger market. The amount of money they are leaving on the table is mind-boggling.

They want cashed up Elite holders. No reason to introduce a scheme to encourage bums who can't afford it.

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Nobody reads long "What if?" or "Thai immigration should" posts.

Archived