Over 8,000 foreigners have a Thailand Elite Card, surge in applicants in 2019

rooster59

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I learned from having the Thailand Elite Visa for 5 years most importantly on thing is that is was something forced on them from above and they (Thai Immigration) DO NOT LIKE IT. Nothing posted on internet forums about what immigration should do or is better to do gets no attention whatsoever.  They don't want white people here for more than once in a lifetime short visits. Chinese are the economic masters for now but as tourists they are crude so Thais can feel superior to them.  My friends from Norway won't come here anymore all they wanted to do is sit and eat seafood, and maybe smoke a cig on the beach they go to Vietnam now.

Nobody gives a <deleted> what the local peasants think.

9 hours ago, Number 6 said:

So...I'm  not even going to the internet on this one you think the UK has more millionaire, billionaires, more industry, more wealth, higher GDP than the US?

Trump cool aid. That's not even funny.

China obviously does.

8 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

- He will never find friendship with any locals. 

Speak for yourself! I've more an affinity with some Thai friends than flaky mates back home that I've known for decades. Granted, it helps to learn (at least some of) the language, expanding one's circle and dropping the superior white man attitude... you certainly won't be meeting middle-classed, monied up lifelong Thai friends in the dingy bars of Patts or wherever.

On the elite visa, don't get the protestations toward those that have the means... jealous much? I'd do it if I really wanted to stay there 'hassle-free' and could justify the cost. Never had major hassles with extensions, but often considered it. What's the biggie? 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

What happens when you flash those cards at immigration? More smiles? More wais? Free coffee? An exclusive "we won't point at random things in your passport and get angry" privilege?

or pick up a form and bang it in your face with a biro, when they don't get the right answers to their questions,

The correct and true name for the Elite visa is.......Visa for the very well off or the very desperate....A county that rejects and discourages foreign youth will have a sad future.....Alls Thailand will have is old geezer expats complaining about happy hour beer prices....

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Speak for yourself! I've more an affinity with some Thai friends than flaky mates back home that I've known for decades.

I am too young to say decades but my Real Thai friends are the best, better than friends back home I knew since kindergarten. 

Was it easy to make those friends? No, it took years as they want to be sure you are not a tourist or temporary friend. 

Anyway, real Thai friends buy me birth day gifts, always share bills and even helped me out when I got a problem before. They left work to pick me up right away.

So yes, real friends do exist in Thailand.

For Elite visa, I find it nonsense as I have a wife and child. Why would I need to pay that to get a long stay. 

Before wife and child, I wasn't even sure to stay that long, risky investment. 

Last but not least, avg. savings of American is 1000 USD. I am supposed to do a business since age 21 and have 500K spare to waste and not use in business? Absolute insanity.

That elite fits some people their needs, fine, doesn't talk the visa insanity good. Neither does it talk good that IO's not honour Visa's and ignore Thai law, which not prohibits people to enter. 

A shame to all western embassies for not putting more afford into this, specially for those detained at airports while having a edu or tourist visa.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, GeorgeCross said:

just a few more thousand to go then mandatory insurance for all over 50s on long stay extensions?

90 day reporting is a benefit! wow who knew and i get mine for free ????

Good afternoon

I doubt the poster meant it "for free" but rather "an officer would do it for the member"

If that is the case, I beg to differ as the 90 day report has to be done in person at the Chaeng Wattana immigration, via mail or computer

On 12/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, GeorgeCross said:

just a few more thousand to go then mandatory insurance for all over 50s on long stay extensions?

90 day reporting is a benefit! wow who knew and i get mine for free ????

Now, regarding the mandatory insurance you are mentioning, I am not quite such that this is a requirement for Elite number.

On another note, not mentioned but related, correct me if I am wrong, the hassle of the TM 30 has been waived for the tourist category

On 12/15/2019 at 10:15 AM, Momofarang said:

Not a surprise for me, the (obnoxious) French bourgeoisie is lage enough to produce a few hundred TE cases.

I doubt that TE come from that class but then again you do have more informations or a greater insight

On 12/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, SmartyMarty said:

I can afford many times over, I'm just not gullible.

I wonder why you are so quick at judging the Elite Members

What you have (been able to) chosen seems to be tight for you.

Gullible? why, because these members get what they need at a price they can (sometimes cannot ) afford

Clipped from a December 2003 article:

"The Thailand Elite card, the brainchild of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, targets 1 million members in five years.

However, since its launch on November 19 only some 200 cards have been sold, at US$25,000 or one million baht for individuals and $50,000 for juristic persons. This has forced a drastic cut in the 1,000-card year-end goal for 2003. To achieve next year’s sales objective of 100,000 cards, the company has put together a marketing plan that includes roadshows at least once a month in Japan, China, Korea and other countries in Asia, and expanding its sales network from 20 to 30 or 40 agents.
"

November 2009:
"Curtains drawn on Thailand Elite Card

The beleaguered Thailand Elite Card project is to be taken off the backs of taxpayers, with the cabinet deciding to sell its operator to a private company in an auction."

April 2011:
"Elite Card decides to call it a day

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet yesterday decided to close down in 60 days the loss-ridden Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), operator of the Thailand Elite Card, the brainchild of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry, whose state agency the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is TPC's sole owner, was instructed to prepare to compensate the 2,500-odd members should any of them take legal action once their membership is revoked."

So after expecting 1,000 cards to be sold in the first year, and 100,000 (!?!?!?!?) the following year, by year 9 they had achieved a total of "2,500-odd" members.

June 2013:"
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and its subsidiary Thailand Privilege Card have joined hands to relaunch the Thailand Elite Card with new privileges to cope with operational loss.

Under the new conditions, cardholders will be able to join for an initial down payment fee of 2 million baht, followed by a 20,000 baht annual fee over a 20-year validity period. Cardholders will be eligible for a five-year multiple entry visa and a one-year stay privilege per visit.

Other privileges include an option to request a Thailand Elite Personal Assistance at Suvarnabhumi and Phuket airports, including a fast-track channel at the immigration counters and airport transfers by BMW 7-series limousines. They will also have a 24-hour call centre access for any special assistance, privileges in the usage of five-star golfing and spa facilities 24 times per year.

About 1,300 new members are the target within the first 12 months after the relaunch. The target groups are visitors from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, Russia and Asean countries."

Sound familiar ?

Considering the numbers they were targeting in the first 5 years and the numbers they claim they currently have, I'd say it hasn't been a very successful scheme.

The "Easy Access" cards (often "given" with some condo promotions)  account for most of the new members, because it is the cheapest option. (I'm sure the condo developers recoup the cost by adding it to the price of the condo of course - I'd have a hard time believing they are getting those cards at a discount and then giving them out for free with various condo purchases.)

Between the "re-introduction" in 2013 and the end of 2016 they managed a whopping 1,500 new memberships (averaging 500 per year). Between Jan 2017 and December 2019 (almost 3 full years) they've added another 4,000 (averaging a little over 1,300 per year) so that would be a bit of a "surge".

After 16 years they still haven't hit 10% of the goal they had for the first year !

You'd think maybe by now they'd figure out that it isn't as popular as they'd hoped and maybe they'd figure out that they should revisit the cost of the cards and/or the "privileges" as between the two they aren't generating a lot of interest (even including the recent "surge" in memberships).

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

"The Thailand Elite card, the brainchild of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, targets 1 million members in five years.

However, since its launch on November 19 only some 200 cards have been sold, at US$25,000 or one million baht for individuals and $50,000 for juristic persons. This has forced a drastic cut in the 1,000-card year-end goal for 2003. To achieve next year’s sales objective of 100,000 cards, the company has put together a marketing plan that includes roadshows at least once a month in Japan, China, Korea and other countries in Asia, and expanding its sales network from 20 to 30 or 40 agents.
"

November 2009:

The beleaguered Thailand Elite Card project is to be taken off the backs of taxpayers, with the cabinet deciding to sell its operator to a private company in an auction."

April 2011:

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet yesterday decided to close down in 60 days the loss-ridden Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), operator of the Thailand Elite Card, the brainchild of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry, whose state agency the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is TPC's sole owner, was instructed to prepare to compensate the 2,500-odd members should any of them take legal action once their membership is revoked."

So after expecting 1,000 cards to be sold in the first year, and 100,000 (!?!?!?!?) the following year, by year 9 they had achieved a total of "2,500-odd" members.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and its subsidiary Thailand Privilege Card have joined hands to relaunch the Thailand Elite Card with new privileges to cope with operational loss.

Under the new conditions, cardholders will be able to join for an initial down payment fee of 2 million baht, followed by a 20,000 baht annual fee over a 20-year validity period. Cardholders will be eligible for a five-year multiple entry visa and a one-year stay privilege per visit.

Other privileges include an option to request a Thailand Elite Personal Assistance at Suvarnabhumi and Phuket airports, including a fast-track channel at the immigration counters and airport transfers by BMW 7-series limousines. They will also have a 24-hour call centre access for any special assistance, privileges in the usage of five-star golfing and spa facilities 24 times per year.

About 1,300 new members are the target within the first 12 months after the relaunch. The target groups are visitors from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, Russia and Asean countries."

Sound familiar ?

Considering the numbers they were targeting in the first 5 years and the numbers they claim they currently have, I'd say it hasn't been a very successful scheme.

The "Easy Access" cards (often "given" with some condo promotions)  account for most of the new members, because it is the cheapest option. (I'm sure the condo developers recoup the cost by adding it to the price of the condo of course - I'd have a hard time believing they are getting those cards at a discount and then giving them out for free with various condo purchases.)

Between the "re-introduction" in 2013 and the end of 2016 they managed a whopping 1,500 new memberships (averaging 500 per year). Between Jan 2017 and December 2019 (almost 3 full years) they've added another 4,000 (averaging a little over 1,300 per year) so that would be a bit of a "surge".

After 16 years they still haven't hit 10% of the goal they had for the first year !

You'd think maybe by now they'd figure out that it isn't as popular as they'd hoped and maybe they'd figure out that they should revisit the cost of the cards and/or the "privileges" as between the two they aren't generating a lot of interest (even including the recent "surge" in memberships).

Best post on the subject so far, it should be floated as the first post.

I have a feeling the current surge is mainly 5 years/500k baht members, which is a watered down version of the original Elite program.

Most as you say are probably through condo promotions.

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

"

November 2009:

April 2011:

Sound familiar ?

This is a fantastic summary....Good job......

1 hour ago, madmen said:

China spent more than all farang combined. But  everyone  Says here that they don't spend money 

A noticeable absence is India 

The Indians also dont seem to be condo buyers and just dont seem to care much about sick buffalos......

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

"

November 2009:

April 2011:

Sound familiar ?

It’s just not a good deal. And when it’s over, you’re right back where you started.

If they want to sweeten the pot and have skyrocketing numbers, give Elite holders a work permit. No hassles, no employees, just a work permit that allows you to legally set up shop in Thailand.

Or, no 90 day reporting / TM30 for Elite holders. Buy a 5 year Elite? See you in 5 years, thank you. No hassle, enjoy your stay.

Here’s a bonus, when one Elite ends, give them a sizable discount for the next one. Say 20% - 25% off. There isn’t any incentive to continue under the current plan. Give them one. Otherwise, when it’s over, it’s over. Right back where you started.

As is, it’s a glorified tourist visa. Calling it “Elite” is laughable.

Small tweaks could make big changes for their program.

Archived