Thousands join biggest protest for years in Thai capital

rooster59

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously it would be great if some billionaires out there would be selfless and only do what they do to help the "normal" people. And it sounds so nice. But how realistic is it, especially in Thailand?

If they were truly selfless they would not be billionaires!Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?Even Gandhi wasn't truly selfless by his own admission and yet he achieved so much.

The New Year, 2020, will be the year when thousands and thousands of (mainly young) Thais find their self-respect and dignity again and say 'NO!' to what is happening to their country.

I really admire them. And Thanathorn is superb: he could have SUCH an easy, comfortable life - but instead has chosen to risk his liberty and life (literally) to stand up for what is right, and fair, and just.

All these people struggling for fairness, democracy, freedom of speech and justice have my immense respect - and that of most of us here, I think!

Wow. After 20 years my wife and I finally agree on Thai politics! Who says social media is the bane of our existence?! That must 

Thaksin, Yingluck, Thanatorn...

Who remembers prime minister Samak getting booted by the courts for his cooking show? 

....and Sonthi and Suthep? Representing a small minority? Don’t see them in exile? 

A joke that the international community and Thais (until now maybe?) couldn’t be bothered about.

I often imagine where the country could be if Thaksin was not forced out on a trumped up land purchase charge.

3 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Wow. After 20 years my wife and I finally agree on Thai politics! Who says social media is the bane of our existence?! That must 

Thaksin, Yingluck, Thanatorn...

Who remembers prime minister Samak getting booted by the courts for his cooking show? 

....and Sonthi and Suthep? Representing a small minority? Don’t see them in exile? 

A joke that the international community and Thais (until now maybe?) couldn’t be bothered about.

I often imagine where the country could be if Thaksin was not forced out on a trumped up land purchase charge.

It would be a hell of a lot better off rather than than being perpetually involved in "the charge of the parachute wings brigade"

23 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

I support big P if big P deprecate the baht to 1usd vs 33baht.

Surely you are just joking. Otherwise, you are as selfish and self serving as one can get.

I, and I'm sure many others, are more concerned about the welfare of the Thai people in general rather than just how many baht we get for our foreign buck.

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

I  like it!

"Run over them" would be better though

I'm sure thats the plan."Might has right" is the true law of the road.Thanathorn would need the might of millions to run the trictator and those willing to stand with him in order to run him over.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pheu Thai won the most seats in the 500-member lower house but has adopted a quieter approach to challenging the government than Future Forward, which came third in the election.

=, Pheu Thai come FIRST. But Prayut is PM. 

First and third work together. BUT Preyut is PM.

Why? 

Won 87/500 place. Is the PM. Why?

if Prayut go to olympics, cheating, then come second, he will take the gold medal!

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the army has made plain its dislike of a movement it accuses of trying to rally the young against the monarchy and the armed forces.

They should have added the Communists card too, maybe that will

come later,as it was used in the past to discredit protesters.

regards Worgeordie 

15 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

They should have added the Communists card too, maybe that will

come later,as it was used in the past to discredit protesters.

regards Worgeordie 

Can’t play that card anymore….Thailand’s new owners in Beijing would not allow it.

16 minutes ago, Yinn said:

=, Pheu Thai come FIRST. But Prayut is PM. 

First and third work together. BUT Preyut is PM.

Why? 

Won 87/500 place. Is the PM. Why?

if Prayut go to olympics, cheating, then come second, he will take the gold medal!

Prayut would cheat at Olympics just like Russians did.

But wait !!!

Russians got thrown out for cheating.

This is proper for people who win by cheating. Throw them out.

3 minutes ago, neeray said:

Prayut would cheat at Olympics just like Russians did.

But wait !!!

Russians got thrown out for cheating.

This is proper for people who win by cheating. Throw them out.

Incorrect, every one cheats, Russia just got caught doing it. 

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

I still find it interesting that Thaksin remains silent, has he made some kind of deal?

Another thing to note, BIg P is just a front face for someone else to rule, highly unlikely this protests will achieve much as it’s not up to BIg P what happens 

Actually, I think you have put your finger on the very root and core of the problem, in the final analysis, BestB.

But I am not going to say more about this matter  ...

This protest is far more dangerous than before.

Why? 

Because these are not busloads of toothless, potless, rural peasants being paid 500thb a day to rock up and wear coloured shirts.

These are the youth, students, democracy activists, disenfranchised voters and, most importantly of all, they are from the city.

These are people that are not going to go away when the handouts dry up.

This will get nasty quickly if there's not an amicable solution. Those making comparisons to HK may not be far off the mark. 

Hopefully cooler heads prevail but this will be the first real test of Prayuth's mettle.

We already know that those really giving the orders are aloof, out of touch, nasty, spiteful and vindictive. 

1 minute ago, david555 said:

The spirit came out of the bottle.....can not be put again inside anymore ….????

I dunno-but I admire your optimism.

I think a certain fellow kept it all together in the past whilst another chap may see it all eroded....

But I would say that we are looking at a 10-20 year time frame.

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

that old BS time after  time after time.................its  not  only the army that needs  removing completely once and for  all

Yes the thing that can't be named needs to be relegated to a quaint museum piece as it is in other countries.

I was interested to learn more about Thanathorn. He's an interesting guy. He went to university in New York before becoming a development manager at the UN. At the age of 23 he along with his mother took over the already successful family business when his father died. They've grown the business 500% and now employ 16000 people worldwide, many of them in the United States where the company operates a number of large factories supplying auto makers there. The company won the contract in 2005 to supply Tesla with components and is still that company's main supplier. 

1 minute ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

I was interested to learn more about Thanathorn. He's an interesting guy. He went to university in New York before becoming a development manager at the UN. At the age of 23 he along with his mother took over the already successful family business when his father died. They've grown the business 500% and now employ 16000 people worldwide, many of them in the United States where the company operates a number of large factories supplying auto makers there. The company won the contract in 2005 to supply Tesla with components and is still that company's main supplier. 

Thanks for that, a clever man.

Throw him in the dungeon or exile him, no place for brains here!

7 minutes ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

There's actually more that's interesting about this guy, he's been involved in activities to share the wealth, gain improvements for poor folks when he was a teenager, and more. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wouldn't it be great if Thailand would have real grassroot movement from (relative) poor people for poor people?

At last I had enough from Billionaires who claim they only work in politics to make life better for the poor...

Just look at the pictures. Those attending are not the down and out or the poor. Nor Hi-Sos'. They are the people who work for a living, attend college and university and are Thailand's future.  For all his money, I believe Thanathorn really wants to see a real democratic Thailand run by politicians who care for the people rather than themselves and their elite military friends

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's actually more that's interesting about this guy, he's been involved in activities to share the wealth, gain improvements for poor folks when he was a teenager, and more. 

Yes, Scorecard: this is where he differs in a significant way from Thaksin (who is still loved by numerous poorer folk, of course): Thanathorn showed concern for the plight of the poor FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. He has a provable record of philanthropic, altruistic activity. That genuineness is why he poses a far, far, FAR bigger threat to the dinosaurs than anything or anyone who came before him ...

Also: Thanathorn is personally a man of great physical and mental endurance. He participates in extreme sports, gruelling and challenging physical marathons, runs, climbing, etc., etc. He is perfectly fitted for the role of a nation's champion. He will not collapse, buckle, fold and kowtow, like some others have done in the past. He will fight on with determination. He strikes me as a man of Destiny ...

Archived