Thousands join biggest protest for years in Thai capital

rooster59

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/15/2019 at 5:46 AM, rooster59 said:

The demonstration in Bangkok, called just a day earlier by Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a 41-year-old billionaire, revived memories of the spasms of street protest that have roiled the Thai capital periodically during the past two decades of political turbulence.

Be careful, the head of the military is just waiting for this, the next coup will certainly be in preparation!
The next one will surely be much more brutal ...

13 hours ago, chama said:

Hope he can rally enough support to give the people a better government. Pretty sure with this rally his days in Parliament are over.

I am not so sure about that.

It seems to me that the best result for this government would be to disband the FFP, then charge all there leaders with sedition, Le Majeste and anything else they can think of and bung the whole lot in jail for life.

Having said that there will be bigger problems as despite disbanding the FFP, jailing their leaders there will be street protests (peaceful ones at that). IMHO they will have business problems, financial problems, international problems etc.

OTOH they simply cannot ignore what happened at the weekend and simply do nothing. It is a self imposed problem of their own making and is beyond their understanding.

It is probably the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end.

33 minutes ago, 30la said:

Be careful, the head of the military is just waiting for this, the next coup will certainly be in preparation!
The next one will surely be much more brutal ...

It is said that General A. is scheduled to retire sometime around the middle of next year. It would be a marvellous, fabulous retirement gift to himself if he can do what he is itching to do so keenly - follow the grand and great Thai militarist tradition of ... launching a coup! But this time it will be really repressive (under his watch). General Prayut will seem like a liberal, in comparison!

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am not so sure about that.

It seems to me that the best result for this government would be to disband the FFP, then charge all there leaders with sedition, Le Majeste and anything else they can think of and bung the whole lot in jail for life.

Having said that there will be bigger problems as despite disbanding the FFP, jailing their leaders there will be street protests (peaceful ones at that). IMHO they will have business problems, financial problems, international problems etc.

OTOH they simply cannot ignore what happened at the weekend and simply do nothing. It is a self imposed problem of their own making and is beyond their understanding.

It is probably the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end.

"...It is probably the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end...."

Well said...

6 hours ago, charmonman said:

You do remember Thaksin don't you? Last thing Thailand needs is a repeat of that whole episode. If you think being already rich means you can't be thoroughly corrupt or power hungry, think again. 

Not that I'm saying that the new guy is just like Thaksin, but your logic as to why people should trust him is flawed to say the least.

It wasn't only Thaksin. Every Thai pooyay I've ever met or encountered has been corrupt and venal, and that includes most people for whom a degree (especially in Law) is de-rigeur.

If you don't understand that about Thailand then you don't really understand anything about Thailand.

12 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

It wasn't only Thaksin. Every Thai pooyay I've ever met or encountered has been corrupt and venal, and that includes most people for whom a degree (especially in Law) is de-rigeur.

If you don't understand that about Thailand then you don't really understand anything about Thailand.

Absolutely spot on.

He must have balls of steal

When it was quoted thag he is causing unrest to the miltary

Does this mean that Prayut is now a civilian now prime  minister or he is still formerly in the miltary?

I am.confused prayut is still army general or a civilian now taking roll of prime minister

As if this is agaisnt the prime minister then this rally isnt aimed at the miltary as he must have stepped down out of the miltary to be a goverment civil servant to serve the people based on the democratic fare systen where he got elected by the magority ??????

.what i am seeing round the world is politicians  forgettinf who they work for

Hence the people are the onces who have the power if United 

Hence why civil unrest happens

Just need to listen to the people

Its not hard

On 12/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

I was interested to learn more about Thanathorn. He's an interesting guy. He went to university in New York before becoming a development manager at the UN.

Wiki page say "development worker" NOT manager and its says he was offered a job but he did not take it up.

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

It is said that General A. is scheduled to retire sometime around the middle of next year. It would be a marvellous, fabulous retirement gift to himself if he can do what he is itching to do so keenly - follow the grand and great Thai militarist tradition of ... launching a coup! But this time it will be really repressive (under his watch). General Prayut will seem like a liberal, in comparison!

It seems it isn't only me who noticed he is nearing retirement. Bearing in mind his fathers coup ended in failure the rest probably goes without saying.

2 hours ago, BigC said:

Its not hard

Thats the problem they dont listen 

3 hours ago, BigC said:

Its not hard

Seems reasonable, but the world over, politicians only think they are responsible to the people at election time. At all other times, they really believe they are the bosses.

It's weird,

On 12/15/2019 at 9:17 AM, neeray said:

I liken this movement to the adage "to big to fail".

I think the "government" would be hard pressed to do anything too blatant and too stupid in an effort to thwart these protests.

Than's the man.

Unfortunately, I fear that nothing is too blatant or too stupid for the military mob. Just like "if every problem is a nail then the only solution is a hammer" then if these problems are anti-government then the only solution the military knows is a gun.

31 minutes ago, geoffrobbo said:

Unfortunately, I fear that nothing is too blatant or too stupid for the military mob. Just like "if every problem is a nail then the only solution is a hammer" then if these problems are anti-government then the only solution the military knows is a gun.

Remember tinkered square and the mass protests?they didn't muck about then.

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Thats the problem they dont listen 

The consequences  can be very bad for them also.

Over 100 generals in Thailand i cannot believe  they are all happy with the situation  also

This is the main reason why Thailand has been buying new tanks and troop transport vehicles. Thailand isn't at war and there's mostly peace in the region. The only enemy the government has is it's own people. Don't think for one minute that the government isn't willing to send in the army to squash any hopes and dreams you have about a real democracy!!! Stand down Eat, Shop and Spend!!! ????

Archived