Thousands join biggest protest for years in Thai capital

rooster59

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, IMHO there would be great value in someone producing posters, handouts, a website which details the junta party transgressions etc.

The IT police would arrest those connected with it.  Censorship is here.  This week I read a superb hard-hitting article about the Thai economy and the effects of recession on all walks of life.  I went back one hour later to quote from it and it had disappeared: it had been published in The Bangkok Post!

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see and as other's have suggested, this could be the start of a very different type of protest against the government. It isn't like the previous ones and has the hallmarks of H.K already. Some of my wife's friends went to this (all in their late 20s) who are rightly frustrated still living within a totalitarianism military dictatorship. 

The only worry is we all know who is really running the show here nowadays. 

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

The IT police would arrest those connected with it.  Censorship is here.  This week I read a superb hard-hitting article about the Thai economy and the effects of recession on all walks of life.  I went back one hour later to quote from it and it had disappeared: it had been published in The Bangkok Post!

It's actually very grim..and yes,overwhelming censorship is here-either covert or overt so you may take your pick.

Asian newspapers outside Thailand do it better-hence Asian Correspondent's insistence that 80 per day (on average) are the true road fatalities in Thailand.

4 hours ago, neeray said:

I liken this movement to the adage "to big to fail".

I think the "government" would be hard pressed to do anything too blatant and too stupid in an effort to thwart these protests.

Than's the man.

Change will not come peacefully.

There are many, notionally "civilian", who are prepared to, on command, brutalise those advocating peaceful change.

This is just a phase in the escalation of the conflict.

There is no "civil" solution.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you remember that billionaire who started in Thai politics about year 2000? He told everybody he does not need more money.

And then came the honest mistakes and it got from bad to worse.

How about you give Thanatorn the benefit of the doubt and judge him based off the content of his character. 

And apparently there was a good mix of people there yesterday. Not just mostly the young, but also equally as many middle-aged and older people. 

29 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's actually more that's interesting about this guy, he's been involved in activities to share the wealth, gain improvements for poor folks when he was a teenager, and more. 

And....

Thanathorn's uncle, Suriya Juangroongruangkit, is a politician who served as Minister of Transport of Thailand between 2002 and 2005. Suriya is one of the leaders of Phalang Pracharat, the most prominent pro-junta party.

It is disclosed in several interviews that Thanathorn has been in conflict with his uncle, Suriya Juangroongruangkit, since he was young mainly due to their disagreement regarding the Trans Thai-Malaysia Gas Pipeline Project. believes the construction of this dam exemplified government's lack of accountability and crony-capitalism that peaked with the 1997 economic crisis.

He is the good future for thailand. He will never stop. Social media can not control by army. 

His uncle not talk together now, he not care. Thailand can be wonderful.

They planning new year protest. Will be bigger. People not at work, have time. 

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, IMHO there would be great value in someone producing posters, handouts, a website which details the junta party transgressions etc.

Have already. A lot. Sure. 

Google you will find. (Thailanguage)

a lot from thai people live in foreign country. Some famous one.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

An ideal purchase by the military, having the only real use to suppress their own people - something they have been doing for decades.

They proved to be quite vulnerable to attacks from improvised mines (IEDs) and rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) in Iraq, requiring numerous modifications which dramatically increased weight and reduced mobility. In particular, the tyres are easily set alight by petrol bombs. They look dead cool, but I'm not sure that I would wan't to be in one in an urban environment.

Thanathorn is a hero, and is the best hope of moving this nation forward, which is the polar opposite of what the inept army is doing now. One can only hope the Thai people can shake the apathy, and start showing their displeasure soon. The army is decimating the tourism sector, with their astonishing degree of ignorance and racism toward foreigners. Let the resistance begin. 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I still find it interesting that Thaksin remains silent, has he made some kind of deal?

Another thing to note, BIg P is just a front face for someone else to rule, highly unlikely this protests will achieve much as it’s not up to BIg P what happens 

It might be that we in Thailand no longer get to hear Taksin and it looks like Thanathorn has the microphone and is being heard.Taksin maybe operating in the background to avoid tarnishing Thanathorn who is probably expressing similar objections to the current objectionable trictator. 

Looks can be deceiving but those dogs under the control of the army dudes looked kind of pussy, more like my domestic pet.

The German Sheppards used by others tend to look as intimidating as a Stryker vehicle.

53 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, Scorecard: this is where he differs in a significant way from Thaksin (who is still loved by numerous poorer folk, of course): Thanathorn showed concern for the plight of the poor FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. He has a provable record of philanthropic, altruistic activity. That genuineness is why he poses a far, far, FAR bigger threat to the dinosaurs than anything or anyone who came before him ...

Also: Thanathorn is personally a man of great physical and mental endurance. He participates in extreme sports, gruelling and challenging physical marathons, runs, climbing, etc., etc. He is perfectly fitted for the role of a nation's champion. He will not collapse, buckle, fold and kowtow, like some others have done in the past. He will fight on with determination. He strikes me as a man of Destiny ...

I'm always a bit cautious when people are described as "Men of Destiny", after all...

Image result for Charlie Chaplin - the great dictator Image result for Charlie Chaplin - the great dictator

That said, I do agree that he seems an admirable chap, and quite the sort of young leader that the country needs.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Yes, and sadly they will continue to do everything that they can to prevent Democracy from taking hold.

My heart goes out to the protesters because they have a great fight ahead of them; their opponents are dug in, nasty as hell, and determined to hang on to power at pretty much any cost. That said, anyone who studies Asian history knows that political change usually comes from the young and from students as they are the ones who have the moral high-ground. It does not always prevail over guns and tanks, but it does not always lose either.

Never forget dear students; you are fighting The Cheating Cheaters Who Cheat.

And, they will continue to cheat and cheat and cheat and cheat.

Like the benevolent Mao and peaceful Pol Pot. But hey, 50 million dead is just a small price to pay for change. Or are those acceptable losses?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-14/thai-opposition-party-holds-anti-government-rally-in-bangkok

Thailand’s highest-profile opposition party warned of more demonstrations after drawing thousands of people to an anti-government rally Saturday that also protested the prospect of its looming dissolution.

The crowd assembled on an elevated walkway in a Bangkok shopping district three days after the Election Commission said it will petition a court to break up Future Forward for breaching financing rules, a charge the party rejects.

More....

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Another thing to note, BIg P is just a front face for someone else to rule, highly unlikely this protests will achieve much as it’s not up to BIg P what happens 

I know you will not believe me, but what I say now is true.

it is not how you think. 

P has already been “moved” from Bangkok. Weaker now. 

P for “mother” group. 

P will not be leader end of next year, because of that.

Or maybe Thannathorn successful first.

Some member TVF already know and say it before on old thread. Is true. Is start happen already. 

This is the very reason there can never be democracy in Thailand. I would love to see it but Thai people are not mature enough to handle different parties and opinions. This is the most unique society and complicated society when it comes to politics. 

Archived