Thailand’s countdown to ban on single-use plastic bags

rooster59

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

I want to see what the fresh markets vendors and the street food sellers all over the country going to do now and how are they going to sell you the food? by bringing your own food containers from home?...

You do know that there were markets and food vendors before styrofoam and plastic bags came along ? 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It is unseeingly amazing that, judging by the 'confused' and 'sad' emojis on this post, that the banning of the highly damaging plastic bag gets such a negative response from many on this and other forums.  As the great saying goes: "there are none so blind as those that will not see".  Surely this must be the most selfish, short sighted and ignorant generation of humans that ever walked the Earth. 

I don't think so. What I do see is many people who have over indulged in the kool-aid and believe this ridiculous idea of "no bags" is done to help the environment. It is not. It is being done to increase the profits of retailers who will no longer have to pay for bags. None of them can do it alone, because customers won't accept it. So instead, they spin this as protecting the environment, get the government to force the issue, and all because their real goal is to increase profits.

The same ridiculousness was used in the 80's when they all switch to plastic from paper bags in order to "save the earth." The earth had nothing to do with it of course. Plastic was simply cheaper, and they sold a pile of fecal matter to the general public as a cover story for their greed, and the public lapped it up.

Same issue today. If retailers were concerned about the environment, they would replace plastic with more expensive biodegradable plastic. But that would cost them money. Instead, the ultra wealthy want to pocket the savings at our expense. 

I've lived through this BS before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I have no problem if you genuinely want to support the ultra rich and think the uber wealthy deserve even more. Be proud of the fact that you are a mouthpiece for the 1%. But don't try and pretend this is about the environment. We all know better.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm forecasting some significant unintended consequences if they actually ban the bags. 

Seven + years living in Thailand I almost never had to buy plastic garbage bags to haul my kitchen scraps down to the complex's bins.  Because those "single use" bags I got at BigC, TESCO and other places were rarely ever used just once.  They were the perfect size for a day's worth of kitchen scraps.  Any longer interval and the contents used to go off in the BKK heat.

Thailand doesn't have a plastic bag problem.  Thailand has a solid waste management problem.  There's garbage dumped all over.  The plastic bags just last longer when they're dumped along with everything else.

If the majority of Thais put as much effort into disposing of their trash properly, as they do in disposing of it anywhere and everywhere, there would be no problem.

But of course, they need bins and waste disposal Skips to place the trash in to do this along with Education.

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

utter nonsense.  We all have a problem with plastic bags, which often end up in the oceans of the world. Do you even know that a plastic bag can take up to 1,000 years to decompose?  It's not just in Thailand, although here the ignorance of the damage being done clearly runs deep, it is worldwide problem. The Earth is drowning in the damn things and it is right that they should be banned. 

Strange that I walk the beach 1/4 mile from where I live in Texas and in over 2 miles of beach I didn't find a single bag or water bottle.  Because Texas has a functioning waste disposal scheme.  Unlike Thailand. 

For better or for worse, plastic is ubiquitous today.  It's how you deal with waste that has the oceans of the earth drowning in it.

Just now, impulse said:

Strange that I walk the beach 1/4 mile from where I live in Texas and in over 2 miles of beach I didn't find a single bag or water bottle.  Because Texas has a functioning waste disposal scheme.  Unlike Thailand. 

For better or for worse, plastic is ubiquitous today.  It's how you deal with waste that has the oceans of the earth drowning in it.

Despite what Texas people may think, there is a whole world outside of that State, that is struggling with the problem. 

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

If the majority of Thais put as much effort into disposing of their trash properly, as they do in disposing of it anywhere and everywhere, there would be no problem.

But of course, they need bins and waste disposal Skips to place the trash in to do this along with Education.

Unfortunately, Thai people are pragmatic enough to realize that their individual efforts to dispose of waste properly are useless unless the government quits stealing the money meant for waste disposal systems.  Why bother putting garbage into a skip if that skip is just going to be dumped on the side of the road later by the company paid to deal with it.  Because that's more profitable than actually dealing with it.

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Despite what Texas people may think, there is a whole world outside of that State, that is struggling with the problem. 

Struggling with what?  The problem of plastic bags, or the problem of corrupt governments that steal the money meant for solid waste disposal?  Because you need to know what the problem is in order to solve it.

3 hours ago, Monomial said:

Just a data point for everyone. When shopping for hardware I have now switched my allegiance from Thai Watsadu to Mega Home. Thai Watsadu no longer gives out plastic bags. When I went through the checkout line and paid at Mega Home and was given a nice, convenient plastic bag, I mentioned to the checkout girl how convenient this was and that I had stopped shopping at Thai Watsadu down the road because they would no longer supply me a bag.

She told me that many people had expressed that same sentiment over the last few weeks.

For all who think "no bag" is an answer to plastic bags, think again. Customers are not going to be happy with this, and as long as there is at least one retailer who puts customer convenience above profits, people will switch.

Biodegradable bags or paper, sure. You'll get my support. But "no bag"?  That isn't an answer. That's nothing more than a money grab by greedy retailers who do not deserve my business.

How about taking your own reusable bag shopping with you?  It's not difficult to do better you know. 

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Struggling with what?  The problem of plastic bags, or the problem of corrupt governments that steal the money meant for solid waste disposal?  Because you need to know what the problem is in order to solve it.

"The world" knows what the problem is, you apparently do not. 

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has been working on a new generation of edible packaging that may get the attention of food industry pundits. Casein-based food packaging, made from milk proteins, isn't just edible, it's also more efficient than other types of packaging as it keeps oxygen away from the food for an extended period, keeping it fresher for longer. The casein-based edible fabric can be infused with vitamins and probiotics. This technology from the USDA should be ready in 2019.

Another organic matter getting attention is seaweed. We have wrapped sushi with seaweed for centuries, so it is only natural to extend the practice beyond Japanese delicacies. Costs and availability are still unclear. ............dreaming , in Germany food vendors have edible containers also

Absolutely incredible the negativity here. Plastic bags will still be available but they will be reusable and cost money to buy. Where no other viable option is available they will still be used. 

Thailand is only following what so many other countries has already done, including the places where most commenters on here probably come from. 

I will continue to use my small ruck sack but carry a couple of strong reusable plastic bags in it as well. 

10 hours ago, Chazar said:

oh  thank  goodness......................dont  worry  about  the  filthy  lorries and souped  up thick  black  smoke  belching out  of  some boy  racer pick  ups

Yeah, a little bit of sarcasm is just what this needs. Why not try to look at the benefits instead?

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

How about taking your own reusable bag shopping with you?  It's not difficult to do better you know. 

You're neglecting the way most folks shop in Thailand.  Most of them don't have cars to haul the reusable bags around all day, then pick up today's meal on the way home.

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:
16 minutes ago, impulse said:

So why is the problem of plastic bags most pronounced around the countries with the highest corruption index?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:
9 hours ago, impulse said:

Thailand doesn't have a plastic bag problem.  Thailand has a solid waste management problem.  There's garbage dumped all over.  The plastic bags just last longer when they're dumped along with everything else.

Ridiculous comment to make.

Yeah.  Because Thailand's incinerators and other solid waste disposal efforts are a model of efficiency, a beacon for the rest of the world to follow.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

You're neglecting the way most folks shop in Thailand.  Most of them don't have cars to haul the reusable bags around all day, then pick up today's meal on the way home.

Oh, yes! they are extremely big. 

image.jpeg.7fcdbbc24ec4595cab55e108f418b6fd.jpeg

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Yeah.  Because Thailand's incinerators and other solid waste disposal efforts are a model of efficiency, a beacon for the rest of the world to follow.

Let´s just say like this. It´s all a waste of time to try and take away or at least minimise the use of plastic bags, because you do not believe it´s important enough.

That sounds pretty stupid, when 80-90% of the rest of the worlds population is onboard with that it´s an important mission.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Let´s just say like this. It´s all a waste of time to try and take away or at least minimise the use of plastic bags, because you do not believe it´s important enough.

That sounds pretty stupid, when 80-90% of the rest of the worlds population is onboard with that it´s an important mission.

Sure, 80-90% of the world agree that there's a problem.  With bags, with water bottles and a myriad of other plastic items.  They're not quite as sure that banning them is the best solution, as opposed to better methods of disposing of them.

Despite I am 71+ I still remember I have to eat and drink, and therefore go shopping every 2-3 days, with my shopping trolley. 

Now for the people who go out and suddenly remember they have to buy food and beverage, a free plastic bag given at the shop is the only solution. 

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Despite I am 71+ I still remember I have to eat and drink, and therefore go shopping every 2-3 days, with my shopping trolley. 

Now for the people who go out and suddenly remember they have to buy food and beverage, a free plastic bag given at the shop is the only solution. 

A reusable bag kept in the car, or on the motorbike does the job.  It's just a bit of forward planning, not at all difficult.  if you are caught out, buy a reusable or biodegradable bag.  After you have done that a few times, you will remember to use one. 

Sooner or later, some genius is going to figure out a way you can grind them up economically and use them to make roads, reducing the need for $$$ asphalt.   (You can already search it on YouTube...)

More likely, it won't be a genius.  Just a normal person who sees value, especially in a low labor cost location like SEA.

I watched in amazement at the pecking order in my Asoke apartment for "waste management".  First, the security guys and apartment staff pulled out all the good stuff they could resell.  Then the night time scavengers came by and pulled out what they wanted.  Then the garbage guys came by at 3:00 AM, dumped it all on the road and pulled out the stuff they could sell.  Finally, the stuff with no net value got loaded on the truck, crushed hydraulically, and off they went to the complex next door.  If I were a betting man, I'd bet that it got re-sorted again once it got to its destination.

12 hours ago, luckyluke said:

To be clear, this is sarcasm. Some seems to believe that a free plastic bag is indeed the only solution. 

Never drove a car or motorbike, but I manage to do my shoppings without plastic bags. 

Besides I personally consider that walking around with a plastic bag is styleless. 

On 12/15/2019 at 8:52 AM, ezzra said:

I want to see what the fresh markets vendors and the street food sellers all over the country going to do now and how are they going to sell you the food? by bringing your own food containers from home?...

My sentiments as well - it will NEVER happen out in the rural countryside where the single use plastic bag reigns!!

Single use disposable plastic bags yesterday, today ,tomorrow single use disposable plastic bags forever....Real men work out real men lift weights real men drink beer and real men dont carry around reusable bags when they go shopping... 

Archived