BANGKOK
Farangdanny

Super Highway/bicycle ?

OP - have you watched Thai drivers at all?

3 hours ago, Farangdanny said:

Seems nobody knows the answer

Yes you can ride it, but look out for no bike signs near the underpasses.  Not sure about that.  Def seen no cycle signs on the underpass on Mae Rim road where it meets the 121.  Just take the frontage road.  Probably safer.  Superhighway is not same as toll roads around BKK.

From cycling on the third ring road, I recommend you carry a stick, or some hefty stones, to deal with the soi dogs. They like chasing bicycles but will generally back off if you stop and raise your stick or throw a stone at them.

• Like 1

Bicycles on roads here much safer than in USA since drivers here, although often reckless, do recognize that the hiways may be infected with all sorts of slow clumsy 2, 3, 4 and more, wheeled vehicles.

It's all a risk here so take care on the roads whatever you drive.

5 yrs or so ago i rode my bicycle from MAYA to hiway 1001 hauling my golf clubs, on the Super. Less traffic then and i was not bothered but was exhausted end of day. The bike was old, as am I.

• Like 1

I would not do it because you are too slow compared to motorbikes and cars.

You can not overtake quickly even if you stick left as motorbikes can.

No bikes allowed in some underpasses? This is Thailand, as if anyone cared.

Second reason I would not ride a bicycle is it is difficult to breathe with a pollution mask, not so with a motorbike because you are just sitting still.

• Like 1

now 'this' is down the right alley. for some enterprising Thai to discover and copy:

Image result for bicycle speed record unassisted

Disclaimer: Not too much cardboard died in the making of this scene...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If motorcycles are not allowed I think that would tell you that bicycles are not either

Bicycles and fast cars are never a good mix especially when you add in Thai drivers adn road rage.

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

If motorcycles are not allowed I think that would tell you that bicycles are not either

Motorcycles are definitely allowed on the Ring Roads and Superhiway

This is the CNX forum - not the Hiway 7 Expressway

• Like 1

16 hours ago, donnacha said:

From cycling on the third ring road, I recommend you carry a stick, or some hefty stones, to deal with the soi dogs. They like chasing bicycles but will generally back off if you stop and raise your stick or throw a stone at them.

Try carrying dog treats instead - they're lighter and solve the problem rather than compound it.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Bicycles and fast cars are never a good mix especially when you add in Thai drivers adn road rage.

The majority of Thai drivers have no common sense or road awareness, but I am not so sure about road rage. How often as a pedestrian in any Thai city do you hear horns being blasted? Contrast that with traffic in any UK city.