How to tune Southeast Asia for low season

sakoo

I am trying to avoid high tourist season in the following countries: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar

I am arriving to the region (haven't picked a entry point yet) in mid-June (the coincide with start of the wet season).

I know summer holidays means tourists, so I would appreciate your help to ORDER these specific countries in the most logical way to avoid the peak period in each country. I don't mind the rain, it is the tourists, I wish to avoid (and the higher prices associated with them). I have lots of time, for example 1 month in each country.

I am only going to specific pockets in each country.

And I am flying everywhere, not a fan of overland trips. 

So fly in, spend 1 month in a loop, then fly out. 

Here is a mock order, I would like to re-arrange it.

* THAILAND (Chiang Mai and Pai) mid June-mid July

* LAOS (Luang Prabang and North) mid July-mid Aug

* VIETNAM (Hanoi and North) mid Aug-mid Sept

* CAMBODIA (Siem Reap and Battambang) mid Sep-mid Oct

* MYANMAR (Mandalay and North) mid Oct-mid Nov

* I may skip Myanmar and/or Cambodia and spend the last couple months in either South/Central Vietnam, Southern Laos or Deep South Thailand. Again, dependant on flight connections, and low season crowds. 

So again, I am ok to go in wet season, and the whole point is to avoid peak tourist season, that is why I ended the trip in mid November, as the dry, peak season starts around that time in mainland Southeast Asia. Thanks!

I am little confused by these kind of posts over the years, either here, or backpacking groups on Facebook.

What’s the angle? Value for money? The real SE Asia? Or just time limitation?

The places mentioned are all mainline backpacker destinations, if you want to avoid backpackers, why go to those places? 

In tourist destinations, I see the low season as a grim time, restaurants closed, resorts in disrepair, restaurants running on skeleton staff with no menu, increase in petty theft as the low season progresses, constant rain, (in the south) choppy seas, no attractions or tours running, and total boredom. It’s a real depressing time, you don’t really get to see the region in it’s true light. The novelty of sitting on your balcony reading a book and eating alone at night soon wears off.

I lived in Ko Lanka for a couple of years, there is nothing better than the buzz of high season, the island is alive, people enjoying themselves, friends busy and happy - restaurants packed with people. I can always find some reasonable accommodation and food, it not as cheap as my city in the Deep South which is far away from the tourist way, where every day is the same, but I do see the merits of the high season. I think you would be better to move away from the well trodden trail, but Incorporating some of the destinations,  

Also, Myanmar? really? 

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I am little confused by these kind of posts over the years, either here, or backpacking groups on Facebook.

What’s the angle? Value for money? The real SE Asia? Or just time limitation?

The places mentioned are all mainline backpacker destinations, if you want to avoid backpackers, why go to those places? 

In tourist destinations, I see the low season as a grim time, restaurants closed, resorts in disrepair, restaurants running on skeleton staff with no menu, increase in petty theft as the low season progresses, constant rain, (in the south) choppy seas, no attractions or tours running, and total boredom. It’s a real depressing time, you don’t really get to see the region in it’s true light. The novelty of sitting on your balcony reading a book and eating alone at night soon wears off.

I lived in Ko Lanka for a couple of years, there is nothing better than the buzz of high season, the island is alive, people enjoying themselves, friends busy and happy - restaurants packed with people. I can always find some reasonable accommodation and food, it not as cheap as my city in the Deep South which is far away from the tourist way, where every day is the same, but I do see the merits of the high season. I think you would be better to move away from the well trodden trail, but Incorporating some of the destinations,  

Also, Myanmar? really? 

Thank you for asking for more information, it shows a more stable mind. And yes value for money is my prime motivator I am not really interested in tourism, seeing sights, attractions, package treks or tours, although getting a massage, joining a gym, learning the language appeal to me, and other non-touristic behaviour, for example I tend to learn local songs and sing to the locals in their own language, something tourists normally never do and even frown upon if they are the hating type. Anyways, VALUE FOR MONEY, you got it. And I go to backpacker destinations for the low costs not for the backpackers although I would like to hangout with 1 or 2 backpackers after I have vetted them for b/s, there are different types, I like about 2-5% of the backpacker crowd, so that is why I go in low season, so I am not overwhelmed by them. Sadly, the more pristine places are more expensive and that is why I go to Pai for example, because they have 50b/night accommodation, most people don't believe it's true, but it is 100% true. And then have 30b meals. And spend about 100-200b/day all in. You can't do that in a place like NAN, for example? Or Can you? And it is ok if some of the restaurants are closed, because those Western themed expensive tourist restaurants are ones I avoid anyways. I tend to eat from the night market or shop in the morning market and cook or eat where the locals eat and I ask them to change the recipe for me, which they do because of my looks and language ability, they usually cater to me since I smile at them. It is a system I have developed that infuriates the tourists and endears the locals. If you are nice to me and don't attack me like other people here, I will explain for you in great detail how this system works. However, I have to vet you first to see if you're a good person or not. It's 2019, so there are a lot of phone ballers around (phonies). Pretentious types looking to put others down with their remarks. So it is ok the expensive restaurants are closed along with the overpriced bars and their $5 cocktails, who needs them, I don't, good they're closed, and good the drunkards aren't there to get drunk everynight. I like how the nightlife tappers down in low season. I like to hear the crickets instead of the English pop music and obnoxious Californian accents of the young backpackers. It's nice in low season. And i never go to resorts anyways, so good they're closed as well. Keeps the riff raff out. And skeleton staff sounds good as well, more chance to connect with 1 or 2 people, instead of not connecting with 10-20 people, and no menu is needed since they know what I like to eat anyways after a few days of the charm offensive. And they normally don't rob me because I put a scary face and they back off. Also having a beard helps as they fear bearded men which is just silly and really immature but it works. And if the other backpackers are bored that is usually a good sign that it's my kind of place, so your descriptions of low season sound wonderful. And I am used to being alone, and when I want company I seek out the local beauty and not lonely anymore. It's a win/win. Alone time and then not alone and then alone again and then not alone. And the sight of a packed restaurant doesn't appeal to me, and when you say buzz I think of noisy, obnoxious conversations about people blabbering about how great they are, and babbling that lead nowhere, nobody really discusses anything important it is mostly superficial banter. And a lot of posing to cover up the pain everyone is feeling inside, many turn to liquor and unless everyone is from a Western culture, there can be social differences that lead to fights and arguments. For example, abortion. Some people think it's ok to kill children, and others don't. Anyways, I like being away from the tourists, but I need the tourist places to keep the costs down. Because those places have VOLUME, I can find a niche within them. And I have visited Myanmar before. 

21 minutes ago, sakoo said:

Dumb remark! How about actually answering the questions? 

Since your question is ridiculous ( tuning your travel in SE Asia) and your assumption  that I'm obliged to answer your question in a certain way demonstrates an unwarranted sense of entitlement on your part, a dumb answer was the most appropriate. If you don't like it, request a refund of your subscription fee.

1 hour ago, sakoo said:

Well hes right. You are a tourist, and I see you think you are a better breed, even though you are cheap charlying??

The weather truly sucks in SE asia during the summer. And there are more drunk Brits living here than are tourists. And if you avoid Pattaya, theres hardly any drunks at all, except Thais And 200 baht a day? Stay home, you are coming off as the annoying type of know it all that I see wearing elephant pants begging.

Or perhaps go on Lonely Planet and ask. You wont get coddled here ????

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Since your question is ridiculous ( tuning your travel in SE Asia) and your assumption  that I'm obliged to answer your question in a certain way demonstrates an unwarranted sense of entitlement on your part, a dumb answer was the most appropriate. If you don't like it, request a refund of your subscription fee.

Another unintelligent contribution, full of ego and pride. What is ridiculous about my question? Other than because you say so? And why answer my post of questions if you're not interested in answering questions? You really see answering questions on a forum as an assumption or obligation. Sounds like somebody has the stick up in it. And it is not a certain way you have to answer, just answer. You haven't answered, so that is why I brought it up. And what is my entitlement? That you answer my questions? That was the whole point of the post. And yes I do feel entitled to ask questions on here. It's the whole point of registering. How is that unwarranted? And you talk of fees and refunds shows that you have led of a life obsessed with money. No surprise you don't wish to help others, since there is no gain in it for you. Leave the answers to the less self-absorbed amongst us. Now off you go back to tuning your investment portfolio. Sine you obviously aren't interested in helping me to tune my trip. Why would you? Nothing in it for you. 

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Well hes right. You are a tourist, and I see you think you are a better breed, even though you are cheap charlying??

The weather truly sucks in SE asia during the summer. And there are more drunk Brits living here than are tourists. And if you avoid Pattaya, theres hardly any drunks at all, except Thais And 200 baht a day? Stay home, you are coming off as the annoying type of know it all that I see wearing elephant pants begging.

Or perhaps go on Lonely Planet and ask. You wont get coddled here ????

He's right about what, exactly? And how I am a tourist? I already told you I am not interested in tourism. Does everyone who goes to Chiang Mai as a foreigner automatically become a tourist in your mind? What a load hajaboo. How do you know I am not on an education visa to learn Thai for example. Are international students also tourists? Nonsense. You are just grouping me into categories you better understand. Typical mental block of the mainstreamer. I don't fit in to your categories, junior. And I am different, if you say better, then so be it, but I don't think I am better, just different in a good way, since what I see in others is so gross, especially tourists, and especially since they NEED English and liquor in order to travel. So yes the fact that I don't need English and liquor makes me feel different and in your words better. Of course it is better not be an Anglocentric drunkard. Would you like to be a drunk foreigner who only speaks 1 language, or a sober attractive younger traveler who speaks many languages and charms the locals. And if I am a cheap charlie, it is because I have learned how to manage money better than the rest, also the locals are cheap charlies as well, so how dare you mock the locals like that. And those drunk Brits are the WORST and they are tourists by the way even though they live there. I have nothing in common with neither the Brits who live there or the Brits who travel there. Of all the groups, I can't think of the 1 group more unlike myself than the Brits. I'd rather interact with the ignorant American than the Pompous Britannicis. That is a latin term for them. And don't worry I will never go to Pattaya, that place will be judged like Sodom and Gomorrah. And good riddance. And I don't beg, I have money. You just got the wrong idea. And I don't wear elephant pants and I don't like the company of hippies as there is usually a smell of ganja. I also don't like the alcohol smell. Lots of smelly Westies a bout. Avoid them ike the plague. I may know it all and be annoying at times, but the other stuff, is not true. Please inquire before concluding. It will be improve your disposition. And Lonely planet and here are both full of people who don't really answer questions except the minority. The majority come across as unhelpful. I only ask for the minority's sake (so that learn about the majority and what makes them so unhelpful). It is a service I provide for minorities. If you retract your statement and be nice to me, I will include you in these services. You see if I was really a cheapo, I would hoard my stuff, instead I offer to share them. That is who I really am, but only if you apologize to the forum members for using my post as a tangent accelerator.

32 minutes ago, sakoo said:

He's right about what, exactly? And how I am a tourist? I already told you I am not interested in tourism. Does everyone who goes to Chiang Mai as a foreigner automatically become a tourist in your mind? What a load hajaboo. How do you know I am not on an education visa to learn Thai for example. Are international students also tourists? Nonsense. You are just grouping me into categories you better understand. Typical mental block of the mainstreamer. I don't fit in to your categories, junior. And I am different, if you say better, then so be it, but I don't think I am better, just different in a good way, since what I see in others is so gross, especially tourists, and especially since they NEED English and liquor in order to travel. So yes the fact that I don't need English and liquor makes me feel different and in your words better. Of course it is better not be an Anglocentric drunkard. Would you like to be a drunk foreigner who only speaks 1 language, or a sober attractive younger traveler who speaks many languages and charms the locals. And if I am a cheap charlie, it is because I have learned how to manage money better than the rest, also the locals are cheap charlies as well, so how dare you mock the locals like that. And those drunk Brits are the WORST and they are tourists by the way even though they live there. I have nothing in common with neither the Brits who live there or the Brits who travel there. Of all the groups, I can't think of the 1 group more unlike myself than the Brits. I'd rather interact with the ignorant American than the Pompous Britannicis. That is a latin term for them. And don't worry I will never go to Pattaya, that place will be judged like Sodom and Gomorrah. And good riddance. And I don't beg, I have money. You just got the wrong idea. And I don't wear elephant pants and I don't like the company of hippies as there is usually a smell of ganja. I also don't like the alcohol smell. Lots of smelly Westies a bout. Avoid them ike the plague. I may know it all and be annoying at times, but the other stuff, is not true. Please inquire before concluding. It will be improve your disposition. And Lonely planet and here are both full of people who don't really answer questions except the minority. The majority come across as unhelpful. I only ask for the minority's sake (so that learn about the majority and what makes them so unhelpful). It is a service I provide for minorities. If you retract your statement and be nice to me, I will include you in these services. You see if I was really a cheapo, I would hoard my stuff, instead I offer to share them. That is who I really am, but only if you apologize to the forum members for using my post as a tangent accelerator.

You had your BS thread a few weeks back, give it away!

38 minutes ago, sakoo said:

I think it would be better if you spend your time researching online..

If you insist on personal feedback then better to spend that time working on your communication skills such that people actually want to help you..

You lost me now - this is the exact way these threads always go.

I”m afraid by your very nature, despite your protests, you are tourist. I can see your angle, I did the same thing myself in Sumatra, 20 years ago. People would invite me to their homes, sleep on the floor, follow me around supermarkets, pull my nose. But does that really happen in SE Asia any more?

i would suggest you are being a bit optimistic on 100-200B a day - I actually see that as a little unethical, you want to see the world but you aren’t interested in putting money in local peoples pockets.

Anyway, all the best, hope you have a great time. 

Seriously, steer clear of Luang Prabang, it’s not in your budget. It’s out of my budget too, horrid over priced place full of people you really don’t want to meet.

2 hours ago, sakoo said:

Another unintelligent contribution, full of ego and pride. What is ridiculous about my question? Other than because you say so? And why answer my post of questions if you're not interested in answering questions? You really see answering questions on a forum as an assumption or obligation. Sounds like somebody has the stick up in it. And it is not a certain way you have to answer, just answer. You haven't answered, so that is why I brought it up. And what is my entitlement? That you answer my questions? That was the whole point of the post. And yes I do feel entitled to ask questions on here. It's the whole point of registering. How is that unwarranted? And you talk of fees and refunds shows that you have led of a life obsessed with money. No surprise you don't wish to help others, since there is no gain in it for you. Leave the answers to the less self-absorbed amongst us. Now off you go back to tuning your investment portfolio. Sine you obviously aren't interested in helping me to tune my trip. Why would you? Nothing in it for you. 

Is that the charm offensive or the bearded scary face talking?

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

You lost me now - this is the exact way these threads always go.

I”m afraid by your very nature, despite your protests, you are tourist. I can see your angle, I did the same thing myself in Sumatra, 20 years ago. People would invite me to their homes, sleep on the floor, follow me around supermarkets, pull my nose. But does that really happen in SE Asia any more?

i would suggest you are being a bit optimistic on 100-200B a day - I actually see that as a little unethical, you want to see the world but you aren’t interested in putting money in local peoples pockets.

Anyway, all the best, hope you have a great time. 

Seriously, steer clear of Luang Prabang, it’s not in your budget. It’s out of my budget too, horrid over priced place full of people you really don’t want to meet.

Very niave, mate! NO kidding that you are lost. I still don't see what I have said makes me a tourist. It is just what you're saying. And what you say doesn't make it fact. Prove how I am a tourist. First you need to define what a tourist and tourism is, so I can see if you can even get that initial part right. As for your other remarks, what exactly is my angle? I bet you can't articulate your thoughts beyond the peripheral. Go ahead and explain my angel to me, if you can? And 200B/day is doable, many do it, maybe not you, because you got spoiled, but for some us, it's a daily reality, and what is unethical is actual tourists who stay in mid range and high end corporate hotels and resorts. Do they actually think they are helping the locals by staying in posh accommodation? It goes straight to corporations and the government, not families. At least I stay in cheap places and place the cash in the hands of the family head. I don't pay service charges at restaurants, is that what you do? Most tourists go to places that charge ++ and think nothing of it. Because that is the same trick used on them in their own countries. They are a duped people, I find their approach immoral and your ignorance of that is telling. And i will use LP as an entry/exit point, I won't spend more than a day or two in the city thank you for the warning, I will head up river and spend most of my time giving my money to those villagers. 

And to the person who thinks I am taking Thai courses, wrong junior. I learn Thai before arriving to Thailand (on the plane).  I don't pay anyone to learn languages. I teach myself using online resources. 

And the charm offensive is only for the locals. When I am speaking to farang (whiteheads) I am more harsh because they are a  people so full and in love with themselves, they need to hear it straight. Hopefully it will snap some of them out of their own contortions

23 minutes ago, sakoo said:

I learn Thai before arriving to Thailand (on the plane).

I do that too, but I have to stay awake for the whole 14 hours because Thai is so hard. Cant get fluent on a commuter flight.

2 hours ago, sakoo said:

Very niave, mate! NO kidding that you are lost. I still don't see what I have said makes me a tourist. It is just what you're saying. And what you say doesn't make it fact. Prove how I am a tourist. First you need to define what a tourist and tourism is, so I can see if you can even get that initial part right. As for your other remarks, what exactly is my angle? I bet you can't articulate your thoughts beyond the peripheral. Go ahead and explain my angel to me, if you can? And 200B/day is doable, many do it, maybe not you, because you got spoiled, but for some us, it's a daily reality, and what is unethical is actual tourists who stay in mid range and high end corporate hotels and resorts. Do they actually think they are helping the locals by staying in posh accommodation? It goes straight to corporations and the government, not families. At least I stay in cheap places and place the cash in the hands of the family head. I don't pay service charges at restaurants, is that what you do? Most tourists go to places that charge ++ and think nothing of it. Because that is the same trick used on them in their own countries. They are a duped people, I find their approach immoral and your ignorance of that is telling. And i will use LP as an entry/exit point, I won't spend more than a day or two in the city thank you for the warning, I will head up river and spend most of my time giving my money to those villagers. 

And to the person who thinks I am taking Thai courses, wrong junior. I learn Thai before arriving to Thailand (on the plane).  I don't pay anyone to learn languages. I teach myself using online resources. 

And the charm offensive is only for the locals. When I am speaking to farang (whiteheads) I am more harsh because they are a  people so full and in love with themselves, they need to hear it straight. Hopefully it will snap some of them out of their own contortions

Mate, I haven’t a clue what you are on about. Abortion, vetting people to talk to, singing songs.

tour·ist

noun

1. a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure

You came to the right place, this is an expat forum, In case you don’t understand :-

expat

/ˌeksˈpat/

noun

q. a person who lives outside their native country.

We probably know thousands of amazing places and experiences we could share with you that have been accumulated over the thousands of communal hours spent here. 

How much have you learned since your post this morning? Nothing, because you started running your mouth off from the first post. 

Another cheap <deleted>.

10 hours ago, sakoo said:

for example I tend to learn local songs and sing to the locals in their own language, something tourists normally never do

On behalf of locals who may be too polite to leave once you start, please resist the urge to do this.

Also, if you do this in a context where food and/or alcohol are being served, please remember that, as the rich farang, the bill will be handed to you. That is a fine old tradition that your new friends will definitely care about.

Please also note that, while Thailand is advanced in many respects, the provision of mental health services may not be up to the standards you are accustomed to in your home country.

You don't get fluent on the flight, just learn the numbers and phrases like you are cute, and then use that with the girls selling things, it is a charm offensive. 

The poor fellow RECOM seems a bit overwhelmed by my personality. 

And a person traveling for pleasure is a tourist sounds like a really lame definition, is that just the first line you saw on Google? Please check Oxford vs. Webster and then consult Wikitionary and even that digusting Urban Dictionary to see the differences you will notice everyone has their own made up definitions for everything. There is no consensus. 

Look up the definition of happiness as well and you will find the word pleasure again. As if happiness is pleasure. Nonsense. I reject that definition on both counts. 

And I have learned a lot since this morning, maybe not here, but I am a researcher, so I have researched for 8 hours today, and I only ran my mouth after I got a mouthy reply, if you don't like my mouth just answer my questions about HOW TO ORDER THE COUNTRIES, and you will notice I won't be mouthy anymore. 

And how dare you use a profanity on a family friendly forum such as TV. 

Sounds like you would be happier alone in a cave.  No tourists!  Up in the northern part of Chiang Rai is a cave well known to flood in the rainy season.  Be sure to bring enough food and extra batteries for your flashlight.  And a good water filter.  You might be stuck in there for awhile.

19 hours ago, sakoo said:

I really hate meeting tourists as well .

I try to avoid them as much as possibly as they are really real travellers .

I'll be in Pai in the  wet rainy off peak no one there season covered in smog   in the 45 Baht a night room rooms .

We could meet up for a stinging nettle home made  beer ?

Sadly, the more pristine places are more expensive and that is why I go to Pai for example, because they have 50b/night accommodation, most people don't believe it's true, but it is 100% true. And then have 30b meals. And spend about 100-200b/day all in.

VERY very hard to find,if not impossible, 50 baht accommodations, cheapest in a multi dorm room around 150 baht, (i have seen a few dorm room in Siem reap and PP as low as $3)  Even camping at a national park in Thailand cost at least 100 baht.

30 baht meals LOL, if u only eat at 7/11's or buy the prepacked meals at Big c, otherwise ur looking at 50 baht.

As far as low vs high season,  the only thing that changes is accommodation prices,food, travel, all stay the same

And how I am a tourist? I already told you I am not interested in tourism

Once you walk  out of ur home, apt, tent, leave ur town, city, village... your a tourist, even in ur own country

Some people post on here just cause they enjoy seeing their own words printed.

I think you have a faulty idea of what a tourist is, especially your last remark about anyone who leaves their home is a tourist. Have you ever heard of a business traveler? They aren't tourists. Tourism is a specific set of activities centered around economics and spending money. Just because you are a foreigner doesn't make you a tourist. It just makes you a foreigner. And 50b rooms do exist, you just don't know how to find them. You can get a capsule dorm bed with curtain. nightlift and power socket for 50b with ensuite bathroom, hot water, and even AC in the room, the bathroom will get dirty because of the "tourists" but if it's low season, the trick is to just find a dormitory OUT OF THE WAY and then just stay there most of the "tourists" then to stay in the social dormitories so they can be tourists together. I on the other hand tend to find the emptiest most forgotten dorm and stay there at 50b/night. The others pay 100-150b/night, like you said. And if you want 30-50b/meal you go to the night market and chat up the local girls and they make something special for you, made to order and give you a discount because of your looks and/or charm offensive in the local language. It is a strategy and it works. If you are nicer to me. I will explain in intricate detail. the mechanics of said charm offensive

What an arrogant twit you come across as.

On reading your OP I had some contsructive input to give, but as you then proceeded to insult the British I won't bother

So you plan to visit another place, to look around, on a temporary basis? That certainly makes you a tourist whether you think so or not.

Whilst sleeping at these random friends/strangers/budget accommodation places at 50bht I night I hope you will remain TM30 compliant. Immigration are pretty hot on that right now.

You talk of visiting the deep south of Thailand. Best check your travel insurance restrictions and own country foreign office advice on that one. You do have travel insurance don't you?

Archived