Is Getting Extension Based on Marriage Still Possible on a 30-day Visa Exempt Stamp?

Is Getting Extension Based on Marriage Still Possible on a 30-day Visa Exempt Stamp? Or do I need a tourist visa? Or do I have to get a Non-O in my home country?

Assuming that one meets the requirements such as 400K in the bank for 2 months (it's 2 months for the initial one, correct?), and all the paperwork and the photos.

UbonJoe? Guys?

Thanks for your input.

It is a 2 step process.

First you will apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa(category O) entry at your local immigration office.

Requirement are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323090010.pdf Note the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the date your apply.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 entry you would apply for the one year extension of stay. You would need to 400k baht to be in bank for 2 months on the day you apply (same for all extension applications).

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a 2 step process.

First you will apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa(category O) entry at your local immigration office.

Requirement are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323090010.pdf Note the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the date your apply.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 entry you would apply for the one year extension of stay. You would need to 400k baht to be in bank for 2 months on the day you apply (same for all extension applications).

Thank you, Joe. ????

In the document, they seem to be conflating extension based on marriage and extension because you have a child in Thailand.

I presume that sections 6 and 7 do not apply for extensions based on marriage?

7 minutes ago, Vyhod said:

In the document, they seem to be conflating extension based on marriage and extension because you have a child in Thailand.

They put both in same list of requirements.

8 minutes ago, Vyhod said:

I presume that sections 6 and 7 do not apply for extensions based on marriage?

Correct

You will likely need more than is shown on the list that will depend upon the office you apply at. Most are the documents needed to apply for the one year extension. My general list is here. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vyhod said:

I also notice it does not even mention the marriage certificate. Is this the right list of requirements for extension based on marriage?

it is the correct list but appears they have left something out.

Here is another one. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

If you have everything on the my list for the extension other than the TM7 form you should be good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vyhod said:

Maybe one more question: can I first extend my 30 day exemption another 30 days, and then do this process (in the last 15 days or so of my extension of my 30 exemption)?

You can get the 30 day extension and then apply for it during the last 15 days of it.

If you go to immigration with less than 15 days they will do both during the same trip to immigration.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get the 30 day extension and then apply for it during the last 15 days of it.

If you go to immigration with less than 15 days they will do both during the same trip to immigration.

Sweet, thanks, although I probably wouldn't cut it so close.

Not mentioned so far, is what office in Thailand you will be using.  If the main-office in Bangkok, things are mostly "by the book," but if elsewhere, it varies by-office whether they will try to push you to an "agent" to get the 90-day part by adding new unpublished-requirements, each time you apply, not accepting valid documents, etc.  Similar may occur, again, for the marriage-extension process.  Hope you aren't applying in Jomtien, where both are a racket (unless things changed, recently).

13 hours ago, Vyhod said:

Thanks buddy. 

Maybe one more question: can I first extend my 30 day exemption another 30 days, and then do this process (in the last 15 days or so of my extension of my 30 exemption)?

You can apply for a 60-day based on marriage (visiting Thai family), or 30-day based on "tourism" - both of which are 1900 Baht.  At some offices, you can do the tourist-extension first, then the family-based 2nd, then apply for the 90-day - but don't count on this, as it varies by office. 

Personally, I would wait until 15-days left on your Current permitted-stay stamp, then attempt to apply for your tourist Extension AND 90-day visa in the same visit, - giving you maximum-time to jump through any hurdles put-up to get your 90-day in-process, before the "15-days left on permitted-stay" deadline (based on your then-new permitted-stay) to apply for it.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Not mentioned so far, is what office in Thailand you will be using.  If the main-office in Bangkok, things are mostly "by the book," but if elsewhere, it varies by-office whether they will try to push you to an "agent" to get the 90-day part by adding new unpublished-requirements, each time you apply, not accepting valid documents, etc.  Similar may occur, again, for the marriage-extension process.  Hope you aren't applying in Jomtien, where both are a racket (unless things changed, recently).

You can apply for a 60-day based on marriage (visiting Thai family), or 30-day based on "tourism" - both of which are 1900 Baht.  At some offices, you can do the tourist-extension first, then the family-based 2nd, then apply for the 90-day - but don't count on this, as it varies by office. 

Personally, I would wait until 15-days left on your Current permitted-stay stamp, then attempt to apply for your tourist Extension AND 90-day visa in the same visit, - giving you maximum-time to jump through any hurdles put-up to get your 90-day in-process, before the "15-days left on permitted-stay" deadline (based on your then-new permitted-stay) to apply for it.

Thanks Jack, I will in fact be applying in Jomtien.

I did this process one time before, years ago, and they did give me hard time (I was ultimately successful after jumping through several hoops).... but I am hoping it has changed recently.

3 hours ago, steve2112 said:

so can you get a non O inside thailand while here on a 30 day visa exempt arrival? eveything i've ever read said it can only be got from thai embassy outside thailand

It's a conversion to a non Imm O entry to facilitate extension application. You don't walk out of the immigration office with a usable visa, but you do get the 90 day permission to stay based on a supposed non Imm O entry.

obviously you need to broaden your reading list. This has been around for about a week less than forever.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, although it is not exactly a Non-Imm-O Visa, as it is immediately marked as 'USED'. It is really a conversion of of an entry, Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa, into that of an Non-Imm-O. You will receive a 90 day permission to Stay and a 'Used' Visa Stamp. It is issued as a precursor to obtaining a one year Extension. 

thanks for the non <deleted>ty answer, i guess in thai visa, that's quite rare.

so if i arrive with no visa at all (UK passport) i can get a used non-O at my local immigration which will give me another 90 days? how much does that cost? thanks

BTW, i meet all the requirements for married extension

Edited by steve2112

7 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

thanks for the non <deleted>ty answer, i guess in thai visa, that's quite rare.

so if i arrive with no visa at all (UK passport) i can get a used non-O at my local immigration which will give me another 90 days? how much does that cost? thanks

2000 baht, but look up the requirements. It isn't meant to be used as a way to get to simply extend your stay. For example, if it is based on retirement, they will want you to show 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account that came from overseas. 

You could get 30 extra days at immigration with an Extension on a Visa Exempt Entry. 

Just Saw Your Edit: Since a marriage Extension requires a Non Imm Permit to Stay, this would be the path to it. 

Edited by jacko45k

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

2000 baht, but look up the requirements. It isn't meant to be used as a way to get to simply extend your stay. For example, if it is based on retirement, they will want you to show 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account that came from overseas. 

You could get 30 extra days at immigration with an Extension on a Visa Exempt Entry. 

Just Saw Your Edit: Since a marriage Extension requires a Non Imm Permit to Stay, this would be the path to it. 

cool, thanks again, i actually have a non O now from london and in the process of waiting for my married extention to come through, but this path would have been easier. now i know.