Dentist Overcharge?

PhilipL

Hello all,

So I just came home after receiving a regular dental cleaning at the Dental Center at Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok.

Price: 2700 baht (which is extremely similar to what I also pay in my homecountry, Denmark) which is why it had me wondering if I was overcharged or not.

Since this was my first time visiting a dentist in Thailand I would just like to ask you guys and girls who have been living her for years if this is a normal price for a normal (extremely normal!) dental cleaning here in Thailand?

My bill looks as follows:

Cleaning = 1100 baht
Use of special equipment: 200 baht
Nursey = 100 baht
Other medical charges = 400 baht (WHAT IS THIS?!)
Dentist fee for cleaning = 900 baht
TOTAL: 2700 baht.

I received no medication, no extras or anything like that.

I can't say for sure but my wife and I use Bangkok Smile Dental and have been very pleased with them. 

My wife recently had her teeth cleaned (1st time in her life), full x-rays and then had 4 cavities filled (non amalgam) all in one 3 hour sitting and the bill was just under 6000 baht.  We just walked in without an appointment and they fit her in which was very nice.

They give a 10% discount if paying in cash (with Thai Baht) and they have several locations in Bangkok to serve their patients.  Their website has the prices are posted (I like this) for all kinds of different procedures.  If you are unhappy with one dentist (or their charges) then I would try another one next time.

https://www.bangkoksmiledental.com/prices.php#prices_other

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

Was it a cleaning or was it a full scaling (essentially a more extensive cleaning)? There's a difference and that might at least partially explain the price.

As said scaling is a much more invasive process - but it would normally be listed as such on bill.  I pay 2,400 at Vejthani Dentalis (which is a high quality dental office originally set up by a German University Dental School) with items listed:

Dental Service 400

Scaling 1,200

Fee 800

Shophouse work is much cheaper - but in my experience not that good and often not that clean.

If by overcharged you mean were you charged more than the standard (foreigner) price at that hospital, no. It is an expensive hotel and they tack on medical supply charges, hospital use fee ("nursing")  etc to all the bills. Charging for a whole pack of everything if they use just one.

But if you mean did you pay more than necessary,  yes. It would be much less at a stand alone dental clinic. In Bangkok, usually  anywhere from 500 - 1200 depending on the clinic. With no tacked on charges, just a single price for the srrvice.

I pay around 1200 for cleaning at the Bangkok Denral Hospital as they ate just much more thorough than anywhere else I have tried so far.  But it can certainly be gotten for less.

On 12/15/2019 at 2:59 PM, Beggar said:

In Pattaya I pay at a very good dentist about 500 Baht for this. This dentist is an expert for implants and always fully booked by foreigners. He is one of the best and most honest dentists I have ever experienced and I had many. 

With that description it can only be Dr Warin.

Archived