Police may charge political rally leaders

webfact

Police may charge political rally leaders

By The Nation

800_ce83344cbf99c8b.jpeg?v=1576406818

Police are putting together evidence to charge leaders of a political gathering on Saturday in Bangkok after finding out that the rally was held without permission.

Pol Maj-General Metee Rakpan, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 6 said the police were checking if the rally, near the Pathumwan intersection skywalk on Rama I Road, was against the law, as the leaders had not notified Pathumwan Police Station.

Senator Somchai Sawangkarn also posted a message on his Facebook account stating that the rally was illegal as the Public Assembly Act requires organisers to notify the event in advance, and prohibits the assembly from taking place within a 150-metre radius of the palace.

Future Forward Party (FWP) leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit had gathered his supporters on Saturday (December 14), to express their opposition to the current political situation and showing that people would not surrender to dictatorship.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379473

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-16

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Future Forward Party (FWP) leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit had gathered his supporters on Saturday (December 14), to express their opposition to the current political situation and showing that people would not surrender to dictatorship.

But general Prayut keeps insisting that Thailand is definitely a 'Thai style' democracy and not a dictatorship. He gets very cross when people say otherwise. Though it must be said that the general is quick to be angered. 

29 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Here we go; and so it starts. How can any counter be illegal when the country was illegally taken? Suggest holding up middle finger instead of the three.

In Thailand the rule of law is not applied equally. Prayut is special, he means well, soon, very soon he will return happiness to the people, he just needs a little more time. The powers that be have their... uh, the nations best interest at heart. Really!  ????

Well any of us that have enough history in Thailand, time to roll the eyes, and mutter "here we go again"

I would like to believe that this time is might be different, but age tends to make you think history really does repeat itself.

It's only a matter of time until they throw a Lese Majeste charge at Thanathorn. They've already said he was trying to turn the young against the institution of the Monarchy.

That and Computer Crime are the catch all to silence any opposition.

Maybe we should run a book here on how long it gonna take?

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Maybe we should run a book here on how long it gonna take?

Maybe I am wrong but not that easy. Given that the economy is in the toilet, the junta is despised as are some others who cannot be named, powers that be will be wary of doing something stupid near a powder keg.

It's time that the people organize them self, without any political party and hold sit down in the city.

It does not take much people to block the traffic, so with many people you can block strategic places easy.  If you can come with so many people to the sky walk, then you also can do this!

11 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Maybe I am wrong but not that easy. Given that the economy is in the toilet, the junta is despised as are some others who cannot be named, powers that be will be wary of doing something stupid near a powder keg.

If your number of posts suggest you're a newbie, and  maybe don't realize how docile the majority of the Thai population is.

A large majority are poorly educated, and even in the best of times struggle just to make ends meet, let alone worrying about freedom of expression and notions of true democracy.

Thaksin appealed that underclass, by basically gaming the system and giving them stuff they really needed like health care, which allowed him to go off to pursue his other self serving interests. Thats why they still love him.

Thanathorn is a different creature. He's trying to mobilize the younger, next generation. The problem with that is however, that the younger generation outside of the metropolitan areas will, with their sub standard education fall back into the rut or simply trying to make a living to eat.

I have no idea how this resolves itself

Talked to my wife about this again the other night, asking her how many of her friends actually voted for the 'junta' led parties. Conclusion was about 10%. I've personally never met one, and all the people she talks to - taxi drivers, market stall owners are all moaning about them. No way was this election not rigged - apart from 1/3 being elected by the junta pre-election. NO wonder they would not let it be overseen by foreigners.

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Talked to my wife about this again the other night, asking her how many of her friends actually voted for the 'junta' led parties. Conclusion was about 10%. I've personally never met one, and all the people she talks to - taxi drivers, market stall owners are all moaning about them. No way was this election not rigged - apart from 1/3 being elected by the junta pre-election. NO wonder they would not let it be overseen by foreigners.

I asked a similar question a while ago, nobody I know voted for Cha Cha, 

36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The people I met who voted junta were civil servants of course, government nurses, and those working in big foreign corporations.  Big foreign corps may have a vested interested in a junta government.  

We can only hope those who want free will continue to protest the junta.  Let's see cha cha debate those of oppose him.  

2 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

It's time that the people organize them self, without any political party and hold sit down in the city.

It does not take much people to block the traffic, so with many people you can block strategic places easy.  If you can come with so many people to the sky walk, then you also can do this!

In a country where rail traffic is almost nonexistent everything must go by road.
It would be enough for tanker truck drivers carrying fuel to refuse to hit the road for a few days, less than a week, to completely paralyze this country.

9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The people I met who voted junta were civil servants of course, government nurses, and those working in big foreign corporations.  Big foreign corps may have a vested interested in a junta government.  

We can only hope those who want free will continue to protest the junta.  Let's see cha cha debate those of oppose him.  

I was working for a big foreign corporation at vote time (5500 employee). My impression was most did not vote for the Junta and many were visibly upset when they won.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

If your number of posts suggest you're a newbie, and  maybe don't realize how docile the majority of the Thai population is.

A large majority are poorly educated, and even in the best of times struggle just to make ends meet, let alone worrying about freedom of expression and notions of true democracy.

Thaksin appealed that underclass, by basically gaming the system and giving them stuff they really needed like health care, which allowed him to go off to pursue his other self serving interests. Thats why they still love him.

Thanathorn is a different creature. He's trying to mobilize the younger, next generation. The problem with that is however, that the younger generation outside of the metropolitan areas will, with their sub standard education fall back into the rut or simply trying to make a living to eat.

I have no idea how this resolves itself

Naaa! You are wrong there.

My wife who is generally politically inactive is now aware of the corruption that permeates the ruling class and has said to me that the networking within Thailand is now growing to the point of overflow from social media into the society at large. She is anticipating a real revolution within Thai society across the whole spectrum. My comment : this iis becoming a worldwide phenomenon.

2 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Mr Suthep could advise them on how it's done.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

My missus says that most of her colleagues at the school where she teaches appear to support the generals in suits.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Maj-General Metee Rakpan, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 6 said the police were checking if the rally, near the Pathumwan intersection skywalk on Rama I Road, was against the law, as the leaders had not notified Pathumwan Police Station.

Total paranoia and fear of the FF party. From before the elections. This will only anger the populace more. Time to expedite the extinction of the corrupt dinosaurs who have dominated Thai politics from day 1. 

Are Thailand not under democracy?

Why should them take permission from u to express their feeling, If the government is not good does the people have right to protest about the bad things going on secondly my question is, does Thailand have human right if yes then you guys cannot stop peaceful protest, if the protest is been done without violence... Hmmmmm be careful 

Archived