Phuket Opinion: Gasping for marine safety

webfact

Phuket Opinion: Gasping for marine safety

By The Phuket News

1576353633_1-org.jpg

A Tourist Police officers looks out the search area marked out on a chart at Yanui Beach earlier this week. Photo: Tourist Police

PHUKET: The number of tourists who died while engaging in nothing more than normal water-related tourist activities over the past month were enough for not only the Commander of the Royal Thai Navy base in Phuket to step up last week and say his piece about what was required to make Phuket safer for tourists, but also the commander of entire country’s Tourist Police Bureau.

If Polish tourist Mateusz Juszkiewicz, 26, and Thai national Werakan Sirirakon, 23, who disappeared while while kayaking with friends off Yanui Beach, off Phuket’s southwest coast, last Saturday afternoon (Dec 7), are not miraculously found alive, the tally of tourists killed by the waters around Phuket will rise to 12 in the past seven weeks – eight of those in just one month.

What cannot be ignored is that these tourists were doing only what countless other tourists had had done before them, and many more since.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-gasping-for-marine-safety-73997.php#Sm17zDjEE5brFUGm.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-16

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the tally of tourists killed by the waters around Phuket will rise to 12 in the past seven weeks – eight of those in just one month.

Unreal and then reading further

Worse, all of the deaths were preventable. At face value, this all seems too much for local operators and officials to comprehend. If that is not the case, the only logical presumption to be made is that tour operators just don’t care enough to take any further action.

They sum it up right there. Another reason why tourism is failing in Thailand.

being ex-RNR I lpove water and its sports, but after one visit to Phuket and seeing the corruption, badly maintained boats and a lack of any safety, I decided that Water sports here or even just boating is inherently dangerous. So I live in Udon Thani . Thailand generally has POOR safety records across all manner of transport including water actrivities. I would not trust them in a

Rowing Boat. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

to step up last week and say his piece about what was required to make Phuket safer for tourists,

Simple.... make tour operators or people that hire services to the public responsible for their actions.
They must undertake realistic training in operating their business and have suitable first-aid training BEFORE an operators licence is issued.

Inclusive of comprehensive insurance cover!

Archived