No-drunk-driving campaign launched to reduce New Year road accidents

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that mean no tents on the side of the road while all the police are watching T.V. and playing cards with bottles of Sangsome on the table then by night fall come out drunk stopping cars while they are drunk themselves?

From the photo is this a program for Halloween?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

His recommendations are not to speed, not to drive in the wrong direction, not to violate traffic light control, use a safety belt, carry a driver’s license, don’t pass other vehicles in unlikely spots, don’t get drunk driving, wear a motorcycle crash helmet, drive a motorcycle in a safe manner and don’t use a mobile phone while driving

The mans a genius... but the public are deaf!

Police on the roads patrolling and stopping drivers breaking the laws is the only thing that ever will begin to slow down the road carnage in Thailand.  However, as with the recent ambulance issue they will likely just get the middle finger salute when trying to get a driver stopped. 

16 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

It's good to see Somchai holding Somchai's beer whilst he is at the wheel so that he doesn't have to drink and drive ....

Nope he states DRUNK DRIVING , nothing about Drink Driving if you are not DRUNK that is OK ….lol

"not to drive in the wrong direction, Come on.. Thai,s are the only ones to do this!!" per Worldplus

Only 1/2 of them do this. If they all did it would be as safe as all driving right direction, perhaps, all other considerations being equal

I love these holiday traditions: Gov spouting "please drive like you know what you're doing"; expats chime in "If they enforced the laws instead of sitting on backsides"; and the carnage continues

Merry Christmas

4 hours ago, webfact said:

His recommendations are not to speed, not to drive in the wrong direction, not to violate traffic light control, use a safety belt, carry a driver’s license, don’t pass other vehicles in unlikely spots, don’t get drunk driving, wear a motorcycle crash helmet, drive a motorcycle in a safe manner and don’t use a mobile phone while driving.

My God!  This guy is an absolute genius coming up with all this good advice.  Unique advice, never been used before!!!!!!

Did anyone ever wonder why they say Dont Drive Drunk in campaigns instead of Don't Drink and Drive? 

It is because the drinks companies don't want to ban drinking completely (I know someone who worked in a drinks company and this is what he was told).

Makes me wonder if Thailand will ever solve this problem

They (police) just want to sound like they are doing something.... Well I guess they are.... Talking....

Talk is Cheap but in reality when the holiday comes and they could really do some police work (they don't believe in work)..... at that time a large percent of them will be drinking also (in Uniform often) My Thai wife has 2 police brothers in Korat - Horrible drunks (on Duty)... Another large percent will 'Hide' from the hard work on that day....

EDIT to add: I don't want to lable all RTP as bad/lazy... I've seen many 'Good jobs' from the 'Criminal Police'... BUT the traffic police pretty well fit my discription....

Police should approach the 'Passengers'... DON'T RIDE WITH DRUNK DRIVERS... That would cut the numbers of deaths by a few....

Where I live we have had campaigns promoting: "FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK"....

i LIKE TO DRINK, and I do my share..... BUT.... when I am going to be driving and I/we are out at bars, I am ok with drinking 'COKE' only so I can be their 'Dedicated Driver'

I make a strong comparison of Thai men and American Red Indians... THEY Cannot DRINK.... But they do drink.... American Indians are well known to have that 'disability' IN THEIR GENES....

bfc170ec50ca9c8e2b46f3fc0e1fb07a.jpg

If you cannot drive home the message in a mature, adult, reasonable manner that driving drunk is bad, what do you do? That's right, you bring along balloon head mascots, guys dressed up as little devils and blokes with fake blood smeared over their faces like it were a costume party and give yourself convinced that this is going to tackle the problem for good. This society really IS stuck in a preteen mentality.

Even worse, you have a deputy police chief issuing earth-shattering "recommendations" such as "not to speed, not to drive in the wrong direction, not to violate traffic light control, use a safety belt, carry a driver’s license, don’t pass other vehicles in unlikely spots, don’t get drunk driving, wear a motorcycle crash helmet, drive a motorcycle in a safe manner and don’t use a mobile phone while driving" and realize that you're in fact dealing with a nation full of immature, irresponsible 10-year-olds that actually DO all these things while steering their motor vehicles through the countryside like they were bumper cars. 

Good luck with your "campaign"! I'm sure it is going be a smashing success. The balloon head mascots will guarantee that.

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

bfc170ec50ca9c8e2b46f3fc0e1fb07a.jpg

If you cannot drive home the message in a mature, adult, reasonable manner that driving drunk is bad, what do you do? That's right, you bring along balloon head mascots, guys dressed up as little devils and blokes with fake blood smeared over their faces like it were a costume party and give yourself convinced that this is going to tackle the problem for good. This society really IS stuck in a preteen mentality.

Even worse, you have a deputy police chief issuing earth-shattering "recommendations" such as "not to speed, not to drive in the wrong direction, not to violate traffic light control, use a safety belt, carry a driver’s license, don’t pass other vehicles in unlikely spots, don’t get drunk driving, wear a motorcycle crash helmet, drive a motorcycle in a safe manner and don’t use a mobile phone while driving" and realize that you're in fact dealing with a nation full of immature, irresponsible 10-year-olds that actually DO all these things while steering their motor vehicles through the countryside like they were bumper cars. 

Good luck with your "campaign"! I'm sure it is going be a smashing success. The balloon head mascots will guarantee that.

The more comical figures are the ones in identical costumes.

Problem often with the local checkpoints is, that everybody knows each other, police and civilian. As such most of the time at these checkpoint police is very reluctant to issue a fine or punishment, too avoid inner circle issues or family/friend problems. A good start would be to swap police from other cities with each other. As such nobody would loose face. 

2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

That photo ????. Truly incredible that a government agency can release such a thing. What is going on here!!??

This quote probably deserves a re - post - 

images.jpg.484b1cc2f394ea90ae39d4f54f875f43.jpg

If you showed that photo to a representative selection of Thais what % age do you think would be able to name him?...even if you left the caption in! ???? 

Archived