UK PM Johnson cannot keep Scotland in union against its will: Sturgeon

webfact

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Should be no problem having another referendum then given what you understand you are assured victory.

The point that I am making is that Scotland doesn't want another referendum, it would appear that the point that you are making is that Scotland should have one whether they like it or not.

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

They have an overwhelming majority of seats, conservatives , lib dems and labour are wiped out. 

And your point is? This is an United Kingdom election, the SNP got 1.25 million votes, but in the 2014 Scottish referendum over 2 million Scots voted to remain within our union and the polls show that the majority of Scots do not want to leave the union, only the SNP wish this and they are so arrogant that they think they can speak for all of Scotland.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

The point that I am making is that Scotland doesn't want another referendum, it would appear that the point that you are making is that Scotland should have one whether they like it or not.

perhaps they should have a referendum about having a referendum :tongue:

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

You have to love an Englishman explaining to the Scots about whats happening in Scotland.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

And your point is? This is an United Kingdom election, the SNP got 1.25 million votes, but in the 2014 Scottish referendum over 2 million Scots voted to remain within our union and the polls show that the majority of Scots do not want to leave the union, only the SNP wish this and they are so arrogant that they think they can speak for all of Scotland.

Polls showed a lead for remain in the EU referendum so we should not have had an EU referendum?

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

You have to love an Englishman explaining to the Scots about whats happening in Scotland.

As Scotland is part of the United Kingdom I feel I have as much right as anyone to comment on matters that may effect me or our Union.

24 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I find it strange that those who want to leave a union would not afford others the same right.

Just for the record and in case you missed it. They did and voted to remain.

So now we have that straight I hope the EU will do the same for all the countries in the EU.

52 minutes ago, david555 said:

Did I say U.K. would stay in E.U......can not remember that ever ,as after3 month's the referendum I understood clearly it is not possible (however it is the most stupid decision ever …) to keep U.K. in , only extension after extension repeatedly.... , as now already 2020 extension transition is in the planning inserted …. and in a 11 months PM Boris shall most certain even excuse himself but it is needed a longer transition up to.....

I could trawl through your posts but I can't be bothered. I won't be glued to the Dutch TV either watching your parliament if its on TV, I leave that for others to do from different countries.

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Just for the record and in case you missed it. They did and voted to remain.

So now we have that straight I hope the EU will do the same for all the countries in the EU.

yes but when they did you guys had a different union. New union, new vote

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

yes but when they did you guys had a different union. New union, new vote

So did the EEC when it changed to the EU.

Did each country get e referendum then?

It took 43 years to get another one for the UK.

Your argument is about as strong as the alcohol content in Iron Brew.

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

In 2014 they voted to stay because:

• They would stay in the EU
  • Their pensions would be safe
  • They would get greater say over their own affairs
  • The shipyards would get work

All these promises where broken and now the majority wants independence (you are probably reading English polls)

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

each country get a referendum? what do you mean?

each member country could have NAYed the transition

whether member states want to say YES based on a referendum or not is up to the member state

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

In 2014 they voted to stay because:

• They would stay in the EU
  • Their pensions would be safe
  • They would get greater say over their own affairs
  • The shipyards would get work

All these promises where broken and now the majority wants independence (you are probably reading English polls)

What polls are you reading, have you got a link?

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Why do people feel the need to defend a position even when it is clear that they were wrong, why can't you say "air enough i did not consider this"??

when the EU changed their arrangement, all those engaged in the original arrangement had the option to reconsider and did not, that was their choice.

When Scotland had the first referendum for independence it was under a different arrangement,now the UK is changing this arrangement,  and the Scots should also have the opportunity to reconsider the new  arrangement and either accept it or not.

What is so unreasonable about that?  is it your argument that just because others did not, the Scots should not also? 

40 minutes ago, vogie said:
43 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

As Scotland is part of the United Kingdom I feel I have as much right as anyone to comment on matters that may effect me or our Union.

Hear! Hear!

As long as you're not an infernal Welshperson, we can take the criticism.

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

she just wants to get in the history books, my personal thought is to repair Hadrian's wall, and put up border/customs posts, but that's just me. if they broke from the rest of the UK, they would never get back into the EU, for 1 they are not strong enough and 2 the EU will be no more

Why the Scotosh could not go back to the EU, or even, in a (con)federation with Eire, Uster ( and maybe Wales) simply will be in anyhow ? Maybe as the Gaelic Union ? Same situations as Belgium now.

And.. Scotland, with a population of 4.5-5 mln,  a gross domestic product (GDP) of £180 billion in 2018 there are several smaller nations inside the EU.

1 hour ago, transam said:

You really should stop worrying about us British, I know you envy us but come on.....

You should spend more time worrying about your country supplying more cash when we've gone....????

No worry's ,...gone is gone …finnaly at least the witdraw agreement get voted in HOC  (hopefully).., but like I hear the payments go on in transition up to end 2020 sure , and already 2022 is mentioned as possible even , so that's softening the pain ☺️☺️a bit ...LOL 

I would really not know why in heavens name I should envy you …if I was a Brit I would feel myself full of worry's as you forgot from which situation you came before joining the E.U..... 

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Scotland held a referendum, and the people voted to stay.

Sturgeon thinks she is another Maggie, but she is not, just a glory seeker.

This situation is just the same as Brexit, we dont like the result so we want another referendum, maybe this time get a result we want.

Voted to stay, in a United Kingdom, being member of the EU.  This soon ( 1 Jan 2021) will no longer be the situation.

It is simply the English Colonialism, who thinks they can continue to "negociate" with much weaker parties = just command, what they want, as they did when Eire got its independance, India, Malaysia, Africa and the American colonies. Now, it is just a 55 mln people nation, nr 4 if still an EU member state.

10 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Why the Scotosh could not go back to the EU, or even, in a (con)federation with Eire, Uster ( and maybe Wales) simply will be in anyhow ? Maybe as the Gaelic Union ? Same situations as Belgium now.

And.. Scotland, with a population of 4.5-5 mln,  a gross domestic product (GDP) of £180 billion in 2018 there are several smaller nations inside the EU.

In a Gaelic union they would never be out as after Ireland reunification they are in all together automatic because present membership from Ireland

9 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Wouldn't that depend on whatever agreement is reached between Scotland and the rump UK?  Is the Fleet still berthed at Scapa Flow?  Can the Scots get rent out of that?

Ask the Ukrainians with the Russian bases on the Crimea...

9 hours ago, steve187 said:

it was 62% of the people that voted, and only 68% voted, out of 3,987,112 people eligible to vote only 2,711,136 did vote and only 1,680,966 voted to leave, so 2,306,146 didn't  vote to leave, some 57.87%, so the minority controlling the majority.

For the brexit referendum you used the same way of calculation ?

Archived