The speedo doesn't lie - pick-up driver wonders how it happened

webfact

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps if there were police on the roads with radars, fixed speed cameras, heavy fines, loss of license, jail time, etc etc etc, people would get the message.

I did say perhaps.

You are dreaming, never in century.

I think I have some experience on Thai roads (about 30,000 km a year), by day the roads belong to everyone, crazy to tie up, idiots with no respect for the lives of others and finally those who think they are alone on the road and then the sensible people, the night instead the streets belong to crazy homicides who seem not to think that they too can lose their lives in an accident!
Trucks with trailers that go to 120 per hour, pickups that compete with each other and bikes that seem possessed by the devil.
Police? No policeman in sight, on a thousand km of road I saw 4 check points, all deserted!
Animals, keep on killing each other but let others live!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 30la said:

I think I have some experience on Thai roads (about 30,000 km a year), by day the roads belong to everyone, crazy to tie up, idiots with no respect for the lives of others and finally those who think they are alone on the road and then the sensible people, the night instead the streets belong to crazy homicides who seem not to think that they too can lose their lives in an accident!
Trucks with trailers that go to 120 per hour, pickups that compete with each other and bikes that seem possessed by the devil.
Police? No policeman in sight, on a thousand km of road I saw 4 check points, all deserted!
Animals, keep on killing each other but let others live!

Thais do love their freedom...... try to curb their way of life on the road and wait a nano second for the outcry!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No problem, dude! Just like every other moron that have no clue about how fast they are driving.

Would it be possible that upon the crash the impact move the speedo to 160km/h when pickup was actually traveling at lesser speed before crash? Just wondering, maybe someone with expertise can enlighten pls?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Con Peoples Fund said:

Would it be possible that upon the crash the impact move the speedo to 160km/h when pickup was actually traveling at lesser speed before crash? Just wondering, maybe someone with expertise can enlighten pls?

Not very likely. Modern speedos are electronically driven. In this instance I would suggest that the power was cut on impact and the needle froze at the last known input. (aircraft crash investigators often find clues like this as well)

And looking at the very serious damage to the vehicle, the speed doesn't surprise. me. It makes me shudder to think of a pick-up being driven at such a crazy speed!

2 hours ago, Con Peoples Fund said:

I would say it might be possible, but I just quoted like I am used to see people drive here for the last 20 years.

Photo proves nothing.

Speedo mechanics are simply a freewheeling spring return magnetic driven spindle.

Shock of impact could have quite easily rammed the needle to the setting shown and then jammed the whole works.

Edited by bluejets

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 12:21 AM, JulesMad said:

My speedo lies as much as the american president. Since 10 years ALWAYS 0 km/h, very consistent but I still get places ????

Well the speedo never lies .If you have a crash like the fish vendor you cant get booked for speeding.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:48 AM, bluejets said:

Photo proves nothing.

Speedo mechanics are simply a freewheeling spring return magnetic driven spindle.

Shock of impact could have quite easily rammed the needle to the setting shown and then jammed the whole works.

RUBBISH !!

Speedos lie all the time.  There's no telling what mechanical forces were at play when that many G's are encountered.

If I had a dispute, I'd pull the microSD card out of my GPS enabled dash cam and it would tell me where I'd been, how fast I was going and play back a 1080P video of what I was looking at for the last 20 hours of driving.  I paid about $100 for it after I read some horror stories about locals and foreigners paying out the wazoo for causing accidents they didn't cause.

Never used it as evidence, but it did record some fun times, like driving through a herd of buffalo on a road in the middle of nowhere.

• 3 months later...
On 12/16/2019 at 5:51 PM, Con Peoples Fund said:

Highly probable as the damage at 160 plus the weight of the fish would have obliterated everything but things here are never as they seem !

On 1/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, impulse said:

Speedos lie all the time.  There's no telling what mechanical forces were at play when that many G's are encountered.

If I had a dispute, I'd pull the microSD card out of my GPS enabled dash cam and it would tell me where I'd been, how fast I was going and play back a 1080P video of what I was looking at for the last 20 hours of driving.  I paid about $100 for it after I read some horror stories about locals and foreigners paying out the wazoo for causing accidents they didn't cause.

Never used it as evidence, but it did record some fun times, like driving through a herd of buffalo on a road in the middle of nowhere.

Yep i agree dash cam the way to go, whilst waiting to make a right turn with traffic waiting behind me on a single carriageway  a gap appears a cursory  look in both  wing mirrors ( retired  coach driver habit) and off we go, BANG crash wallop a motorbike made a broadside contact and he is sat in a heap 25 metres up the road his wave with its coloured wheels etc is under the truck, of the 4 cars waiting patiently behind me none bothered to stop  so no witnesses and the mess 25 metres up the road told the police i just turned in front of him with no warning, we waited for the insurance man to appear and i gave him the dash cam  after the Mrs had told him what happened and what had been told to the Police who i should say were most professional, the  lad  went off with his broken leg and a couple of tarmac rashes still pleading his case, off we all go to the police station and all was revealed on the dash cam,  front rear and audible of indicator ( inc the Mrs grizzling that she needed a pee). 

All ended well the Mrs shot behind a bush i was clear of any blame but broken leg youth was left with the task of explaining, no licence, no insurance, not his bike and of course wasting Police time.

The morale of this little essay is 5 star insurance and a dash cam because you cant rely on a witness to help you they are all to busy to stop.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:51 AM, Con Peoples Fund said:

Of course, different size of tires from OEM's specified one will show wrong speed unless the ECM is recalibrated. There is now way anyone can survive from the impact at that speed. Something really to be investigated.