Pattaya: Foreigner drowns at Jomtien beach

webfact

Pattaya: Foreigner drowns at Jomtien beach

3pm.jpg

Police and rescue services were called to Jomtien beach opposite Soi 15 after a foreign man drowned on Saturday afternoon. 

Locals saw the man enter the sea then some time later he was seen floating. A boat went to try and rescue him but he was already dead before he was brought to shore. 

He was named as Ralf R, 64. His nationality was not known. 

He had arrived in the area in a black Isuzu D-Max pick-up with Bangkok plates that police found parked. 

They took the vehicle in for safekeeping and contacted relatives. 

There appeared to be no signs of foul play and it is believed to be a case of drowning, reported Naew Na. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-16

The "lifeguards" of Jomtien are probably all relatives of some gov flunky. There are 4 of them I've seen by my count: easy to do as they mostly hang around Soi 6 and stare at iPhones all day. One day I went up to them (death wish?) and asked "How would you know if someone is drowning down around Soi 11?" Slight startled look, "Is someone drowning there???". I said "I don't know. And you wouldn't know either because you are ALL here not doing your jobs!" and I walked away.

Normally I can let this sort of goldbricking incompetence slide, but this life and death. And it happened: death.

23 minutes ago, Emdog said:

The "lifeguards" of Jomtien are probably all relatives of some gov flunky.

And Soi 15 is far in the south (after Chaiyaphruek).

Have there ever been lifeguards?

Are there dedicated swimming areas?

I am not sure from memory.

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

The "lifeguards" of Jomtien are probably all relatives of some gov flunky. There are 4 of them I've seen by my count: easy to do as they mostly hang around Soi 6 and stare at iPhones all day. One day I went up to them (death wish?) and asked "How would you know if someone is drowning down around Soi 11?" Slight startled look, "Is someone drowning there???". I said "I don't know. And you wouldn't know either because you are ALL here not doing your jobs!" and I walked away.

Normally I can let this sort of goldbricking incompetence slide, but this life and death. And it happened: death.

You really made a sentence like this “How would you know if someone is drowning down around Soi 11?" I mean an 11 word long  sentence in your British accent and they understood you and answered “ Is someone  drowning there?” A perfect sentence. Then you said a 17 word phrase to them!?  They seem to be more fluent than 95% of Thais in Jomtien!  I find your story hilarious. 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Police and rescue services were called to Jomtien beach opposite Soi 15 after a foreign man drowned on Saturday afternoon. 

Locals saw the man enter the sea then some time later he was seen floating. A boat went to try and rescue him but he was already dead before he was brought to shore. 

He was named as Ralf R, 64. His nationality was not known. 

He had arrived in the area in a black Isuzu D-Max pick-up with Bangkok plates that police found parked. 

They took the vehicle in for safekeeping and contacted relatives. 

There appeared to be no signs of foul play and it is believed to be a case of drowning, reported Naew Na. 

Very sad 

16 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You really made a sentence like this “How would you know if someone is drowning down around Soi 11?" I mean an 11 word long  sentence in your British accent and they understood you and answered “ Is someone  drowning there?” A perfect sentence. Then you said a 17 word phrase to them!?  They seem to be more fluent than 95% of Thais in Jomtien!  I find your story hilarious. 

I'm not so good at British accents, I speak 'Mericun. I used " " to separate my bit from theirs, not verbatim. Oh, and I also spoke to them in Thai in fairly short simple sentences. I've been living here 18 yrs, pick up just enough lingo to be dangerous. There used to be a lifeguard tower near Soi 7 where at least any lifeguard with the energy and/or interest could get a somewhat greater range of view. Don't recall it ever being occupied and has been long gone, probably as part of "beach improvement"

Archived