Thais need to lower their prices: Starbucks coffee more in Thailand than Berlin

webfact

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His MAIN example was the 0.05 Euro difference???

That is 2 Baht

Hell yeah, the Thai economy is in the drain because a 2 baht difference for a cup of coffee

I think all fines should go from 500 baht to 502 baht, if it is such a big amount

and 2 wais

On 12/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, ezzra said:

The people that set the pricing for starbuck products are under the impression that anyone who buys their product must be a well heeled type and can afford to pay they prices as there are million other places around to buy cheaper coffee should they choose to... 

Go to Vietnam if you want great coffee for a dollar. Starbucks didn't  stand a chance in Vietnam. Same result as the Vietnam war. Thailand is different, the rich Thais must be seen in Starbucks despite the coffee being tasteless.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, Olmate said:

Seems you don,t know beer prices either...60 baht beer everywhere!

I was just in Bangkok - beer is 120 - 140 baht for 320 ml bottles.  My wife buys beer for her bar at 25-30 baht each, hence I stand by my original calculation of 400-500% markup.

21 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

I was just in Bangkok - beer is 120 - 140 baht for 320 ml bottles.  My wife buys beer for her bar at 25-30 baht each, hence I stand by my original calculation of 400-500% markup.

How is beer in Patong or Pattaya bars for 50/60 baht then? 10/15 baht wholesale? 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:21 AM, webfact said:

As an example of this he told the Songkhla Nakharin Phuket campus that a latte in Berlin right now costs 3.97 Euros but the same drink in Phuket is 4.02 Euros in Thai money.

Never mind Berlin. Compared to a latte in Beijing, are Thailand's lattes still a bargain.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I find it always hilarious how much fresh seafood cost in places like Phuket. They probably sell it with 1000% margin. And then they are somehow surprised that people don't buy it because they don't want to get ripped off. 

Thai sales strategy: make only one or two sales per day, but at outrageous prices, thereby making a huge profit, even covering the salaries of 9 sales staff standing idly by. No wonder, that shops and restaurants survive such a long time, despite being 'empty'. Only a problem if those one or two daily customers don't show up...

Mangos at a roadside stall in Kamala are B100/kilo - just bought three and it cost B117, which is more than the (better-tasting) Brazilian mangos imported to the UK and sold in all of the major supermarkets.

Yes, I know, she saw me coming and yes, I know I'm a mug, but this does not make sense and it should not happen.

On 12/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, Rudie k said:

Why would anyone go to Starbucks here in LOS ??? With all the nice little coffee shops around here. I get my morning cappuccino for WAY WAY less here than back home in the states.....but thats just my 2 cents

Yeah there are some nice coffee shops around... I know quite a few where I can get very good coffee for only 40 to 70 baht. Even the pricier ones are around 100-120 baht, still cheaper than some overpriced multinationals.

38 minutes ago, rabang said:

Yeah there are some nice coffee shops around... I know quite a few where I can get very good coffee for only 40 to 70 baht. Even the pricier ones are around 100-120 baht, still cheaper than some overpriced multinationals.

You forgot to mention a far superior product than Star****

Purchasing whole bean coffee is even more pricey.  Most coffee here in whole bean form is offered in store at 545 baht for 227 grams, or 1/2 pound.  That’s $18.15 for half a pound of whole bean. Or $36.30 per pound.  The same can be purchased for fifteen to sixteen dollars per pound in the USA.  Ridiculous.  

Thailand specific large coffee mug = 800 baht or $26.65 US. This isn’t an insulated mug, just a coffee mug with iconic Thai landmarks on it. Insane.

1 hour ago, Ramen087 said:

Purchasing whole bean coffee is even more pricey.  Most coffee here in whole bean form is offered in store at 545 baht for 227 grams, or 1/2 pound.  That’s $18.15 for half a pound of whole bean. Or $36.30 per pound.  The same can be purchased for fifteen to sixteen dollars per pound in the USA.  Ridiculous.  

Thailand specific large coffee mug = 800 baht or $26.65 US. This isn’t an insulated mug, just a coffee mug with iconic Thai landmarks on it. Insane.

Bon Cafe whole bean (All Day) can be bought at Makro for 230THB per bag of 500gm.

6 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

The last whole bean coffee (dark Arabica) I bought was from Lazada for THB 150 for 500 grams and it is fine.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:47 PM, Evobase said:

I bought Starbucks last week for the first time in Chiang Mai because it was open early. Never again. 2 regular coffees at nearly 300 baht. 
No thanks

This might not go over well but when in Pattaya and I want coffee early Starbucks isn't even open.  Which I don't mind cause I prefer .............. McCafe.  Yup.  Not a bad coffee.  And open 24 hours.

I forget the price.  I think about 100 baht for a large Americano equivalent.

1 hour ago, balo said:

Never buy coffee beans at Starbucks, LOL. 
Most places sell good quality 500 grams for around 400 baht. 

What they sell I imagine would not be "coffee beans" to any person who like coffee, a coffeee lover would not even enter their building

The Top 10 Most Popular Starbucks Drinks Ranked
  • Vanilla Latte. ...
  • Iced White Chocolate Mocha. ...
  • Pumpkin Spice Latte. ...
  • Cinnamon Roll Frappuccino® Blended Coffee. ...
  • Java Chip Frappuccino® ...
  • Hot Chocolate. ...
  • Green Tea Crème Frappuccino® Blended Crème. ...
  • Chai Latte.
https://balanceblog.bistromd.com/health/healthy-eating/the-top-10-most-popular-starbucks-drinks-ranked/

I wonder, do they sell COFFEE too?

Starbucks not an issue for me. I'm not a coffee habit drinker.  I don't go for any of that fancy crappacino stuff.  In the USA, 7-11 coffee maybe once or twice a month when I stop in to buy a lottery ticket.

Still can't beat Thai "street food" prices, foot massages, girls, etc.  Rents can still be OK.  Medical can still be OK, depending on some things.

Archived