Thais need to lower their prices: Starbucks coffee more in Thailand than Berlin

webfact

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

What is this crying over money?  Are you in a prison?  No.  So, leave.  Go to another country where it is cheaper........it's an EASY fix.  Oh, the Thai Baht is too much for you .... OK, too bad, try Cambodia or Laos or another place.  You have options in this life:

1.  complain, cry, complain, get mad, complain, complain

2.  do

First I dont complain over prices, not yet. The day the total cost of living in Thailand get more expensive than where I come from I'm gone of principle. I as many others on this forum come from high cost countries. However cost are in many of this countries a end results of high opportunities for everyone, good health care, good safety standards, good environment and air quality, high level of human rights and governments which are there for the country and not only for their own individual gains. Quality cost, copies should not.

Now back to Starbucks, I think it was around the year 2000 they opened their first restaurant on the famous beach here in South and as coming from one of the world's most coffee drinking nations, I definitely want to try this coffee from the US. Never before been more disappointed and the best I can say is badly boiled soil water.????

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Starbucks Is US company. Up to them. There business, there price.

McDonald’s sell expansive junk food also. Up to them. If they make profit, why not? IMO is tasteless clown food. If some people like it, up to them. Not my business.

IMO the Thai coffee from North Thailand better than Starbucks. And cheaper. Up to me.

i like bun/frappe coffee the most. Because I like ice cream.

Starbucks and McDonald's are franchises and are owned by Thais in Thailand. The real issue is the 1%'s greed and addiction to excessive profits. The person who serves my coffee in Australia makes the same money in a week as the person who serves it in Thailand makes in a month.

Where does all that extra money go I wonder?

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I take it from your tone that you haven't had your daily dose of caffeine yet, off to Starbucks then, and do try not to spill the coffee on yourself ????

Everyone else, please keep it up, reality is I wouldn't buy a coffee at Starbucks if it was in line with the rare 29 baht short black that I can buy anywhere else that takes the same, like s hit, so why would I spend 125 baht for the same product, same taste, rip off price. 

To conclude, at a recent trip to Sydney, both my wife and I found clothes to be far cheaper than here and better in quality, Some food items where cheaper, some on par, a couple of others a little more expensive, the above said it if wasn't for house prices or rents back in Oz, one could pretty much survive as one does here IMO 

But Sydney will have burned down in six months.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

I think USA companies not need 51% in thailand. “Amity”

maybe I wrong? Not sure.

https://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/US-Thai Amity.php

I agree. I like Vietnam coffee and Malaysia “white” coffee. 

In the south Thailand the Malaysia white coffee can get tax free (smuggle easy).

i like drink “fresh coffee” กาแฟสด. And frappe. Usually “southern Coffee” franchise. Also one “Brown Sugar”.

Good for frappe, maybe not good for hot coffee? I not know that.

136E5F98-A832-43A0-A440-3236D32425C1.jpeg

They'll just setup a subsidary here or a BOI. No need to give 51% to thais... It's only a problem for startups, small businesses etc.

Even if they have thai shareholders, all rights like intellecutal proprety etc are owned by the US company, profits get transferred outside of thailand etc.

in Starbucks case, they made a license agreement with Maxim’s Caterers Limited - so it's not the US company operating here, it's like a franchise but owned by a single thai company. They do that in many markets like HK, Europe etc to focus on their US business, they let local partners deal with all the local stuff and just take a cut off all the profits generated.

The same company that runs thai starbucks also runs cambodia, hk, sg, vietnam etc....

i like drink “fresh coffee” กาแฟสด. And frappe. Usually “southern Coffee” franchise. Also one “Brown Sugar”.

That's how one of our businesses works, selling real coffee (italian espresso machine etc but harvested coffee in Thailand) with real milk and not oversugared for cheaper next to starbucks, starbucks is not amused and pull the usual thai <deleted> but i find it highly entertaining to steal their customers.

4 hours ago, waynerooney said:

Pretty much everything is more expensive in Thailand in comparison to the UK, with the exceptions being accommodation, THAI food and cigarettes.

This. My mates back home don't believe me when I tell them the prices here, especially beer prices. 

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

You pay for women? 

You should try “dating”. Like most people.

Is free.

Oh what a misconception. Dating is free? Most of my single friends pay far less for short time, than my friends who "date". In America dating is stupid expensive. And the undetermined "number" required to get the prize can be staggering. 

4 hours ago, Ventenio said:

What is this crying over money?  Are you in a prison?  No.  So, leave.  Go to another country where it is cheaper........it's an EASY fix.  Oh, the Thai Baht is too much for you .... OK, too bad, try Cambodia or Laos or another place.  You have options in this life:

2.  do

my wife won't let me

4 hours ago, Ventenio said:

2.  do

Oh, yes, so serious! Don't talk about anything and discuss it. Especially not on an internet forum.

A discussion forum is only there for people to not post and talk about things like this.

Get over it ... people talk and discuss a thousands of things as they like!

So leave, go to another country, it's not a prison ... you are hilarious!

Good you are not a moderator or PM 5555

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

The people that set the pricing for starbuck products are under the impression that anyone who buys their product must be a well heeled type and can afford to pay they prices as there are million other places around to buy cheaper coffee should they choose to... 

Indeed. And many other places, that charge considerably lower, offer better beverages!

But Starbucks occupy good positions and for those making one drink last hours for a comfy seat and free wifi it's a good deal, well in their eyes.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. And many other places, that charge considerably lower, offer better beverages!

But Starbucks occupy good positions and for those making one drink last hours for a comfy seat and free wifi it's a good deal, well in their eyes.

... and they have great cheese cake, yes? ????

I like the place, every once in a while ... not every day of course

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Yeah you have to have a Mac book and sit in the window playing games, sensible folk go to Amazon, 50 baht a cup

I'm sorry but if you are referring to Cafe Amazon then they produce some of the worst tasting coffee I've ever had.

Every know and then, on a road-trip, I'll get suckered into seeing if they have improved and promise myself I'll never visit again!

52 minutes ago, OnTheRun said:

This. My mates back home don't believe me when I tell them the prices here, especially beer prices. 

Imported beer - mega expensive because of the import tax; which suits local producers.

As with all things Thailand sees things one dimensionally. They want free trade for their products and their nationals to be allowed unrestricted foreign ownership of businesses, property, land etc. But impose very high import duty and block foreign ownership at home!

On 12/16/2019 at 12:22 PM, mngmn said:

Where does all that extra money go I wonder?

@mngmnYou never wondered why here they have 3 employees for a job which can be done in western countries by one person?

On 12/9/2019 at 8:54 AM, lujanit said:

But TAT are saying tourist numbers are up. More tourists spending less money or less tourists. A case of the left side of the mouth has no idea of what the right side is saying.

@lujanitBoth can be right. Tourist numbers are up by arrivals. And at the same time it might be that they are staying less time and/or spending less money.

<<<<Off topic trolling post edited out of reply>>>>

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

A comfy seat ... actually, a lot of comfy seats and sofa's, that was the key of their business model.

I remember, I once read book about this and the key message was: 

We don't only sell coffee ... we provide a comfort place to sit down and enjoy a coffee, a place between the workplace/office and your home!

... subsequently, how many other coffee shops have started to copy this model, Costa etc. 

The initial idea was good ... it's a bit expensive, yes ... but you can sit comfortably on a sofa with a cup of coffee and some wifi being online.

That was a few years back ... 

Now it's overrated, time moves on. Everybody copied it already.

No one needs Wifi anymore ... 5G is coming 5555

4 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm sorry but if you are referring to Cafe Amazon then they produce some of the worst tasting coffee I've ever had.

Every know and then, on a road-trip, I'll get suckered into seeing if they have improved and promise myself I'll never visit again!

Really? I think it's very good for Thailand

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

The people that set the pricing for starbuck products are under the impression that anyone who buys their product must be a well heeled type and can afford to pay they prices as there are million other places around to buy cheaper coffee should they choose to... 

coffee World was 2 ice lattes snd a cookie 550 b, Ridiculous in Patong

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I get the impression that lots of Thais buy starbugs products to be able to run around with those containers and show everybody that they can afford that coffee. Kind of: Look at me, I can afford this (at least if I max out my credit card).

Exactly! Not to mention to make selfies! One of the main reasons that Starbucks like the iPhone is so attractive to the locals is because they are expensive. Even the massage girl has to have one! Starbucks knows exactly what they are doing. 

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Really? I think it's very good for Thailand

I only drink black coffee. I don't know what beans they are using but I find they are over-roasted.

Best I've had in Thailand is in a little cafe on Pratumnak Hill, just to the right of Tara Court.

Just now, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

The list of overpriced items in Thailand is huge.  Of course, it's what the market will bear. If you don't have a market the prices will drop. Who's the fool, we are. 

I mean, then you can throw in McDonalds as well ... on ratio ... how expensive is that here in Thailand, compared to what people earn on average daily?

4 hours ago, Lungstib said:

If you want to live cheaply in Thailand you keep out of places like Starbucks, Mc.D's, 7-11, Tesco and frequent places selling whole meals for 40b. Its possible but not necessarily how you want to live.

7/11 are cheap, I would never purchase in the West 7/11 too expensive 

2 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

7/11 are cheap, I would never purchase in the West 7/11 too expensive 

True, 7/11 here very cheap, and IMO have a lot of good things (I know, it's personal, many won't agree), but I love going in there ... good for me.

Funny thing .. ask any Thai where 7/11 comes from .... ahh, from Thailan of course ;-))

No, from Amelica!

Really? Thais in disbelieve ... they all thought it was 'their' 7/11, only from Thailand ????

4 minutes ago, fhickson said:

i thought international corporate chains all charge about the same prices everywhere?

Yes, same price ...

But when you earn 180$ per day in America, a set Big Mac Menu is reasonable.

But when you only earn 300-500 baht per day, it's not.

Go figure.

Archived