Thais need to lower their prices: Starbucks coffee more in Thailand than Berlin

webfact

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

The people that set the pricing for starbuck products are under the impression that anyone who buys their product must be a well heeled type and can afford to pay they prices as there are million other places around to buy cheaper coffee should they choose to... 

but charbucks is THE place to be seen with your macbook

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So it is housing, food, and your cigs are cheaper.

Don't forget gasoline, electric, water, transportation, and girls.

Geez, what is left tell us that is more expensive here then the UK??

Delicious Kidney pie?

We don’t all live in expensive UK. Gas for cars even in expensive Boston is $2.25 a gallon you can figure it out in liters if you care. Electric is cheap as well. My electric bill in BKK is 3000+ a month for 120 sq meters ( in USA about 1400 baht) Most can live without kidney pies ( sounds yucky) and Starbucks is def cheaper in the states and in Istanbul they are 50% cheaper than Thailand. Starbucks is ridiculous here. 

2 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

First I dont complain over prices, not yet. The day the total cost of living in Thailand get more expensive than where I come from I'm gone of principle. I as many others on this forum come from high cost countries. However cost are in many of this countries a end results of high opportunities for everyone, good health care, good safety standards, good environment and air quality, high level of human rights and governments which are there for the country and not only for their own individual gains. Quality cost, copies should not.

Now back to Starbucks, I think it was around the year 2000 they opened their first restaurant on the famous beach here in South and as coming from one of the world's most coffee drinking nations, I definitely want to try this coffee from the US. Never before been more disappointed and the best I can say is badly boiled soil water.????

Agreed. Bilge Water. The last time I ever got a coffee from SB was when I ordered a hot black coffee and they poured it out of an urn. Never again. Yech

19 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Imported beer - mega expensive because of the import tax; which suits local producers.

As with all things Thailand sees things one dimensionally. They want free trade for their products and their nationals to be allowed unrestricted foreign ownership of businesses, property, land etc. But impose very high import duty and block foreign ownership at home!

the 99 baht 500ml cans of hoegarden are actually brewed in vietnam. near original taste also

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

but charbucks is THE place to be seen with your macbook

... that was always their marketing message and business model, incl. a couch.

Go back to the US and complain to their HQ's with their SBUX ticker on Wall Street.

It has nothing to do with Thailand ... the whole and complete World jumped on it!

49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh what a misconception. Dating is free? Most of my single friends pay far less for short time, than my friends who "date". In America dating is stupid expensive. And the undetermined "number" required to get the prize can be staggering. 

if worried about the money just choke the chicken..

5 hours ago, meechai said:

Honestly we live in one of the most expensive US States

We stay in Thailand a few months every year

The only thing cheaper (for us) in Thailand is electricity

We don't rent/have a mortgage in either place

We don't really eat out in either place

Everything else is either same or more in Thailand

Well all the big ticket items are more expensive in the usa. Property taxes, health insurance, auto insurance, internet, cell phones, cable tv, car renewal, school tax, restaurants etc etc.. 

11 minutes ago, toolpush said:

The last time I ever got a coffee from SB was when I ordered a hot black coffee and they poured it out of an urn. Never again. Yech

Ditto! & they asked me if I wanted milk, after ordering "black coffee" ???? 

5 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Exactly!

Mc Donalds meal only -17% cheaper

but ...

Average monthly income ... -73% less

Go figure.

Where does all that franchise stuff come from? Not from Thailand ...

I also would rather not see this <deleted> here in Asia, but you can't stop the US corporates from filling their ever greedy and expanding businesses throughout the world.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 2.28.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 2.28.04 PM.png

Starbuck can be appreciated as a concept, surely not as a good coffee place ! So, coffee lovers, go drink your good coffee in a real coffee shop. And you'll only pay it at about 1 to 1.5 €/$.

Second point : Thai bath is not "strong" compared with a few other currencies and because a "good economy". For political reasons, the rate of the baht is not mantained at a realistic level by the BoT since 2 years, and its overrate weakens the economy. Drastic fall in exports, decline in tourism... Thailand economy will be in recession in January.

I have a little coffee machine at home. I fill it with coffee beans and water, it grinds the beans and makes percolated filtered coffee. It tastes wonderful and I have calculated, even with the most exclusive coffee beans, the production cost of a cup of coffee (same size as a Starbucks medium) is about 7 Baht.

5 hours ago, Jessi said:

Last year my son was staying in Phuket for a week. He said Restaurants

in Phuket were more expensive than Australia, also with many other items.???? 

if the exchange rate were reversed he would be saying the opposite

6 hours ago, waynerooney said:

Pretty much everything is more expensive in Thailand in comparison to the UK, with the exceptions being accommodation, THAI food and cigarettes.

Plus petrol, heating, electricity, gas, rates, Insurance a - car or home, alcohol... need I go on?

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So it is housing, food, and your cigs are cheaper.

Don't forget gasoline, electric, water, transportation, and girls.

Geez, what is left tell us that is more expensive here then the UK??

Delicious Kidney pie?

All western fast good is more here. A McDonald's berger is 99 pence (40 thb) in the uk. They don't even sell the standard small berger here and the ones you can get are 160 thb +? £4 !!!. For a <deleted> McDonald's.. madness. And don't  start me on cheese and wine..   if the pound does  not recover and the thai  bart weaken all the westerners will continue moving to Cambodia and Vietnam like the businesses are. 

I walked into a Starbucks in Austin Texas with my brother once.  Never mind the prices, It was like a freak show full of hipsters with pink, purple and green hair, nose rings, multiple body piercings and freakish styled mismatched clothing, socks and shoes.  It was a nightmare I don't wish to visit ever again.  5555

image.png.0df14c969fc60fd57d2275e932e6766c.pngimage.png.afed6f306d9b2391bc203ba6a3328129.png

I have been a resident of Phuket for the last 11 years.  Last month returned from a nine-day family trip to Tokyo Japan. Other than the hotel everything was equal to or less than Phuket.  Our trips cost was confirmed when our credit cards bills arrived and we were pleasantly surprised how much less the holiday was than we had anticipated.

6 hours ago, Ventenio said:

What is this crying over money?  Are you in a prison?  No.  So, leave.  Go to another country where it is cheaper........it's an EASY fix.  Oh, the Thai Baht is too much for you .... OK, too bad, try Cambodia or Laos or another place.  You have options in this life:

1.  complain, cry, complain, get mad, complain, complain

2.  do

I think these are observations, and I think a lot of people are leaving-I would be gone already, if my wife didn’t make a much money in Thailand 

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I get the impression that lots of Thais buy starbugs products to be able to run around with those containers and show everybody that they can afford that coffee. Kind of: Look at me, I can afford this (at least if I max out my credit card).

like people touting Gucci bags 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Really? Is that so? What about rent? What about women? And gas? How much is gas in the UK? I spend a third of what I would have to spend every month here, than I would in a major US city, and I live far better than I would live there. I lived many years in both New York City and Los Angeles. Right now, a two to three bedroom house or apartment is 90,000 to 125,000 baht a month, in decent parts of LA. 90,000 to 250,000 in New York City. I have a friend who lives in Bangkok, in a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment, which is over 2,500 sf (250 meters) on a high floor overlooking the Chao Praya river, and he spends 55,000 baht a month. I have friends who spend $800 for a couple of hours of companionship with an attractive woman in LA. Not a stunner, mind you. 

When I have some plumbing work done here, it sets me back 500-600 baht. $150 in LA.

When I had a guy insulate my attic recently, he charged 2,000 baht for labor. In LA, $800 and up.

My newly upholstered seat on my motorbike cost 400 baht. In the US? $275.

Changing my oil and filter on my bike. 250 baht. In the US? $75 plus tax.

I get my car washed and detailed here for 200 baht. In LA? $50 and up. 

Had a guy come to my house and trim a number of large trees, and then load everything up in his truck and haul it away. Cost me 600 baht. In the US? $300. 

Recently had alot of electrical work done on my house. Cost under 1,000 baht. In the US? $350-600. Shall I go on? Really?

There are certain items that are overpriced here. I avoid them. And I bring back alot of stuff when I take my trips to the US. When shopping at a place like Villa Market, or the Gourmet Markets, there are some items which are quite reasonable, and many import items that are over the top. You just have to be discriminating in your shopping, and it can be quite reasonable here. 

Great, now the locals have new prices to aspire to.  Ya, I'm from SoCal too.  1/2 way from LA to Santa Barbara.  Still cheaper here considering what I am getting in rent back home, but nothing like the 1st time we lived here 14 years ago with the baht at 47 to 1 USD and 1/3 the price tag to boot.

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm sorry but if you are referring to Cafe Amazon then they produce some of the worst tasting coffee I've ever had.

Every know and then, on a road-trip, I'll get suckered into seeing if they have improved and promise myself I'll never visit again!

Yep.... It's God damn awful. If you're going to bash Starbucks which on itself is not bad, just overpriced at least compare it to a decent coffee shop. 

Amazon, LOL

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

You pay for women? 

You should try “dating”. Like most people.

Is free.

Dating is even more expensive and there is all this emotional stuff that just leads to anguish (or crazy psycho incidents) when the relationship falls apart.  BTW, you think paying for it is expensive, wait 'till ya get a wife!

1 hour ago, RedPill said:

... that was always their marketing message and business model, incl. a couch.

Go back to the US and complain to their HQ's with their SBUX ticker on Wall Street.

It has nothing to do with Thailand ... the whole and complete World jumped on it!

starbuck is of little interest to me having had explored the no name cafe's and some big name ones in italy

Starbucks Thailand is run by greedy Thais. I contacted Starbucks USA to complain about Thai pricing  in relation to the very low wages paid to Thai employees. I was referred to a Bangkok phone number and was advised that it was outside the control of Starbucks USA.  

Starbucks Thailand's license holders are Coffee Concepts Thailand, a joint-venture between Maxim’s Caterers Limited and Thai partner, F&N Retail Connection Co., Ltd. 

If the Thai and American expats who patronize Starbucks had any sense they would permanently boycott these low life extotortionists. Organisation's who overprice their product and pay slave wages to their staff deserve to be bankrupted

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I find it always hilarious how much fresh seafood cost in places like Phuket. They probably sell it with 1000% margin. And then they are somehow surprised that people don't buy it because they don't want to get ripped off. 

I have to laugh how when I first came here I was told seafood is expensive in land because it has to be transported. So I expected it to be cheap by the coast. No it's just as expensive by the coast if not more so because it is fresh.

Archived