Thais need to lower their prices: Starbucks coffee more in Thailand than Berlin

webfact

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Imported beer - mega expensive because of the import tax; which suits local producers.

As with all things Thailand sees things one dimensionally. They want free trade for their products and their nationals to be allowed unrestricted foreign ownership of businesses, property, land etc. But impose very high import duty and block foreign ownership at home!

I had cause to check out the Thai/ Oz FTA recently. Since 2015 the import duty on Oz wine is ZERO. Unfortunately local taxes are about 400% I believe. Wifey just bought a nice bottle of plonk for nine bucks (less than 20 baht) today in Oz. Last week we went to the big King Power store near Vic monument at Phaya Thai with wife's sister. Nothing from Oz under 800 baht worth looking at. We'll take back a couple of bottles next week for her sister.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

I never buy any Starbucks coffee, but I often see long lines of Thais waiting to be served.  I guess that they must have some special promotions for Thais.

I have a feeling that Thai cannot (yet) appreciate a good espresso/coffee. They just wake up from the red cup era. Maybe SB coffee matches their taste for the time being.

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

100%, more like 500% at some restaurants, meanwhile labor on fishing vessels don't get paid.

Way out of any moral balance. 

If you know the price of an item before you buy it at that price you've got to think it's worth it so you can't complain.

47 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

It used to be that my wife bought clothes and things in Thailand and took them to Australia to save money.

In the last 12 months it has been the opposite. She'll buy brand new pajamas. T-shirts and other clothes for the equivalent of 20 Baht ($1 AUS) each in Australia and bring them back to Thailand. The material tends to be thicker and good for the cooler weather current in Thailand. She can also sell the items to her friends as 'winter wear' for 100 Baht.

As my wife is currently doing. Many winter items on sale now to get rid of the stock. And she is really putting a big effort to help them.

15 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

I have a feeling that Thai cannot (yet) appreciate a good espresso/coffee. They just wake up from the red cup era. Maybe SB coffee matches their taste for the time being.

It's not possibly just the Thais. I've never been one for coffee or wine either for that matter. Too many snobs in both camps for me.

Give me the occasional instant Nescafe for the odd early morning heart starter. Chateaux cardboard for the hiso events.

Just now, Rod the Sod said:

Why are Asians, and especially Thais so addicted to special offers, promotions and freebies. Just get the bloody basics right and people will come.

Give it a week or so and watch the non Asians go beserk at the boxing day sales on the telly. It makes world news. Every year.

The super goose who said go to another country is exactly what people are doing.Everything is over the top The hotel I stayed in last week has gone from$50 to over $100.It was empty when i left guess what?It will be more empty this week.When you loose the tourists it is hard to get them back.

Just now, globalspark said:

The super goose who said go to another country is exactly what people are doing.Everything is over the top The hotel I stayed in last week has gone from$50 to over $100.It was empty when i left guess what?It will be more empty this week.When you loose the tourists it is hard to get them back.

I personally avoid that charge in dollars.

19 minutes ago, Gerald Smith said:

Try dating some 25 yo hottie (pre-whale) when you are 68 yo in the USA and it ain’t gonna happen. It has more to do with our age than our looks. “I’d rather pay for an actress than date a whale”.

‘Mic drop’

That sounds pretty disgusting to be honest

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So it is housing, food, and your cigs are cheaper.

Don't forget gasoline, electric, water, transportation, and girls.

Geez, what is left tell us that is more expensive here then the UK??

Delicious Kidney pie?

Drinking water is cheaper in the UK than Thailand

17 P for 2 litres of mineral water from the supermarket in UK , can you get cheaper in Thailand ?

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Drinking water is cheaper in the UK than Thailand

17 P for 2 litres of mineral water from the supermarket in UK , can you get cheaper in Thailand ?

I don't know. When it gets to the stage of discussing the prices of the basics of life I'll top myself.

I hope it's not locally produced UK water. Too much oestrogen getting through the RO plants for me. My tits are big enough now.

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

What a load of....

Find me a big apartment in any european capital for the same price i pay here in BKK....impossible. 

The same i paid for a Studio with 30 sqm in Manhatten is what i pay for a penthouse in Sukhumvit...

Do you earn the same wage here?

I don’t buy anything overpriced. I really don’t care about Starbucks coffee since I can have a fresh coffee at any corner, but why should I pay for a shaving cream B200 (175g) that is actually B30 (280g) in US !!!  
because I’m farang and have beard to shave with no choice ?!!! Shaving cream is not alcohol or tobacco. 

Main reason has never been the Baht's strength, though Thais are LOVING this story because they feel a strong Baht gives the country Big Face. 

The reason has always been that there is almost zero competition in Thailand with only a few rich Thai-Chinese families running the entire country who set prices however they like. 

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

The people that set the pricing for starbuck products are under the impression that anyone who buys their product must be a well heeled type and can afford to pay they prices as there are million other places around to buy cheaper coffee should they choose to... 

I've never understood the attraction to overpriced, outdated coffee shops.

13 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I don’t buy anything overpriced. I really don’t care about Starbucks coffee since I can have a fresh coffee at any corner, but why should I pay for a shaving cream B200 (175g) that is actually B30 (280g) in US !!!  
because I’m farang and have beard to shave with no choice ?!!! Shaving cream is not alcohol or tobacco. 

Use soap and a shaving brush. Or clippers and designer stubble. Works for me.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

100%, more like 500% at some restaurants, meanwhile labor on fishing vessels don't get paid.

Way out of any moral balance. 

Learn to read and save yourself from looking an ass, mate. They wrote 1000%.

12 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Main reason has never been the Baht's strength, though Thais are LOVING this story because they feel a strong Baht gives the country Big Face. 

The reason has always been that there is almost zero competition in Thailand with only a few rich Thai-Chinese families running the entire country who set prices however they like. 

Not much different in Oz. Two major retailers have the groceries,fuel and booze pretty well to themselves.

15 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Errrr... are you okay? I mean, you contradicted yourself in the space of a sentence. "I don't buy anything overpriced... shaving cream...have beard to shave with no choice." 

Go to the pharmacy and up the meds, mate, they're much cheaper in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, Odisan said:

Errrr... are you okay? I mean, you contradicted yourself in the space of a sentence. "I don't buy anything overpriced... shaving cream...have beard to shave with no choice." 

Go to the pharmacy and up the meds, mate, they're much cheaper in Thailand.

I don’t buy, every other year I bring a few cans from US.
Right meds prices might work for you, not me. I don’t need any.

19 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Use soap and a shaving brush. Or clippers and designer stubble. Works for me.

I understand, but I’m just wondering what kind of logic is behind shaving cream prices. I don’t buy, I bring at least a few large cans every time I go back home. 

Archived