Thais need to lower their prices: Starbucks coffee more in Thailand than Berlin

webfact

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I figured you’d be a “more is better” kinda guy, not into short black then?

Actually I was talking about their food. I’ve had their coffee but can’t remember what I thought. Their food is good but so overpriced for what they give you.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not just Starbucks, Every American chain in Thailand is way overpriced. Does it makes any sense that a country like Thailand, it costs more to eat at Mcdonalds then it is in the United States or pretty much every country in South East Asia in general?

A couple weeks ago I met a fellow farang at a Starbucks because it was the only place we both knew (he just moved to Nakhon Sawan). I hadn't been in one in about ten years, since I moved from Bangkok. ฿120 for a medium size. I think if I go to a coffee shop again I'll go to the Black Canyon nearby. Tastes better, anyway.

Yep! Unless you eat only Thai food it is the same if not more expensive than back in Oz. The starting price for a steak at Wine Connection in CM was equal to 27AUD. Thai's like to blame it on being imported thus pushing the price up. However, staffing and other restaurant costs are less than half of those in Oz!!!

16 minutes ago, Expat Brad said:

Yep! Unless you eat only Thai food it is the same if not more expensive than back in Oz. The starting price for a steak at Wine Connection in CM was equal to 27AUD. Thai's like to blame it on being imported thus pushing the price up. However, staffing and other restaurant costs are less than half of those in Oz!!!

When Thai people have money they love to show they’re spending it, when Thai people don’t have money they still love to spend it. It’s partly because of imported products, partly because people will just pay it.

19 minutes ago, Acharn said:

A couple weeks ago I met a fellow farang at a Starbucks because it was the only place we both knew (he just moved to Nakhon Sawan). I hadn't been in one in about ten years, since I moved from Bangkok. ฿120 for a medium size. I think if I go to a coffee shop again I'll go to the Black Canyon nearby. Tastes better, anyway.

I gave Starbucks a go, lots of times actually mostly as a concession to a very close friend who had some medical issues that for some weird reason ruled out most coffees. Strangely Starbucks didn’t affect her! I think it was probably cos it weak as p***. In Thailand my preference is for Amazon if it’s a cappuccino, I find it strong and always hot. Icing on the cake is it’s 45baht

On 12/16/2019 at 10:13 AM, Peterw42 said:

Not all Thais buy into the ridiculous pricing, my wife would actually not let me buy a coffee in SB. I can almost here her saying "you are not spending half a days wages on a cup of coffee", "you are the reason prices are stupid" etc. 

I watched a Thai family spend 3 days minimum wage in Burger king the other day, then all hop on one scooter for the trip home.

What you only earn 8 euro a day? Gawd might be time to consider a career change. 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, waynerooney said:

Pretty much everything is more expensive in Thailand in comparison to the UK,

1 liter gasoline 1.2 GBP vs 27 Baht

Cod & Chips 7 GBP vs Pad Thai 100 Baht

Bird for 1 hour 100 GBP vs 1000 Baht for the night ????

But yes, I know what you mean ... you can have a beer in UK cheaper than in LOS ... it must be very important to men from UK ????

Just now, CH1961 said:

Pretty much everything is more expensive in Thailand in comparison to the UK,

1 liter gasoline 1.2 GBP vs 27 Baht

Cod & Chips 7 GBP vs Pad Thai 100 Baht

Bird for 1 hour 100 GBP vs 1000 Baht for the night ????

But yes, I know what you mean ... you can have a beer in UK cheaper than in LOS ... it must be very important to men from UK ????

Great post & BTW

You get lots of mewling & earbashing about costs & Thai baht exchange rates, yadda yadda yadda. Yes it is a problem. But when they whinge on about it costs more than vacation in euro land and they do - - FULL STOP. NO, was in greece and turkey last spring definitely was far more expensive than thailand. The Leo brigade likes to whinge, its a lifestyle, natch, but don't take it seriously.  :biggrin:

Tangent over, carry on with the Starbucks bashing.

1 hour ago, Expat Brad said:

Oh eating steak in Thailand should be outlawed by legislation, I have tried several places, a few "high end" ones recommended by others, none could cook a steak correctly, and the quality of the meat was abominable, never finished one of them.

So much good coffee around now, why bother with that dreadful Star...…… place?

I trained my local barista to make mine correctly,  

13 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh eating steak in Thailand should be outlawed by legislation, I have tried several places, a few "high end" ones recommended by others, none could cook a steak correctly, and the quality of the meat was abominable, never finished one of them.

So much good coffee around now, why bother with that dreadful Star...…… place?

I trained my local barista to make mine correctly,  

I know this is a thread about Starbucks, but you did mention steaks, so have to say that I have had very good steaks in Churrasco, Higher (before it burnt down – – such a shame), K Hotel, and friends have raved on about Sam's for a good steak.

Occasionally I go to the big Coffee Club at the front of Jungceylon, facing Bangla, and it's a very welcoming place with a caramel tart to die for, and a pretty good eggs Benedict for a brunch – – streets ahead of Starbucks.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, kotsak said:

Starbucks over here are for the hi-so and for those who wanna be seen as hi-so.

And as we all know, that comes at a price.

Starbacks coffee equiv. to over $7 AUD, <deleted>!!!!!!!!  I don't even pay that at Sydney airport.

23 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm sorry but if you are referring to Cafe Amazon then they produce some of the worst tasting coffee I've ever had.

Every know and then, on a road-trip, I'll get suckered into seeing if they have improved and promise myself I'll never visit again!

Can't disagree with you on that one, their coffee does sucks..

I notice he just skates over the high taxes on many things in the kingdom.  Starbucks has been more expensive here than the US for years, even before the current strength increase of the Bhat.  A decrease in the newest liquor tax would go a long way to help.

18 hours ago, emptypockets said:

It's not possibly just the Thais. I've never been one for coffee or wine either for that matter. Too many snobs in both camps for me.

Give me the occasional instant Nescafe for the odd early morning heart starter. Chateaux cardboard for the hiso events.

Everyone their own taste, but a red cup even in the odd early morning? That's not for a heart starter, that's for a heart burn ????

39 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Can't disagree with you on that one, their coffee does sucks..

That’s why I always maintain that coffee is a very personal thing, for me Amazon is exactly the taste I like, you hate it. The only time I’d criticise you is if you called Nescafé coffee!

Pretty much everything is more expensive in Thailand in comparison to the UK, with the exceptions being accommodation, THAI food and cigarettes.

tv licence, water, electric, petrol, broadband, gas bottles, car wash, car servicing, pickup trucks, bar entertainment, houses, buy and rent, 

3 hours ago, starky said:

What you only earn 8 euro a day? Gawd might be time to consider a career change. 

I dont but the average Thai only earns 8 Euro a day. So a coffee at starbucks is half a days wages.

Posts and replies in violation of the following forum rules have been removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

4 hours ago, nightfox said:

Its not just Starbucks, Every American chain in Thailand is way overpriced. Does it makes any sense that a country like Thailand, it costs more to eat at Mcdonalds then it is in the United States or pretty much every country in South East Asia in general?

a big mac in the USA is 5.74, UK 4.1 Thailand 3.86 all in us $. switzerland is the dearest at 6.54 and the lowest is Malaysia at 2.14 and russia at 2.04. and for those thinking of throwing the towel in and moving to cosat rica its 3.94, prices as of july 2019

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

a big mac in the USA is 5.74, UK 4.1 Thailand 3.86 all in us $. switzerland is the dearest at 6.54 and the lowest is Malaysia at 2.14 and russia at 2.04. and for those thinking of throwing the towel in and moving to cosat rica its 3.94, prices as of july 2019

I’m not sure I’ll be relocating based on the price of a Big Mac! 

I quickly found out the coffee stall quality is same or better than some of the fancy places that charge 3-4x more. They use real espresso machines as well. Maybe the difference is with the beans? I avoid the carts though, as they use the instant powder stuff and found what looked like bits of paper or napkin at the bottom of the cup. I did see the price of coffee at McDonald's and it is similar to the price in the States. 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I find it always hilarious how much fresh seafood cost in places like Phuket. They probably sell it with 1000% margin. And then they are somehow surprised that people don't buy it because they don't want to get ripped off. 

Go to Salak Phet seafood, Koh Chang. Bring your own bottle(s) of wine, they even know how to open them.

26 minutes ago, steve187 said:

tv licence, water, electric, petrol, broadband, gas bottles, car wash, car servicing, pickup trucks, bar entertainment, houses, buy and rent, 

P...y. But catching up. Fortunately my roaring sixties will be over soon.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:21 AM, KC 71 said:

There is plenty of good quality coffee in Thailand

why bother with starbucks !

• Convenient locations
  • Comfortable, relaxing, no hurry to leave 
  • Professionally courteous staff with some international sensitivity; products of corporate training program
  • Pleasant, or no, music, not Thai faves that staff play loudly for themselves
  • Tasteful décor & lighting, an understated caché
  • No servers bothering or ignoring when you want attention
  • Branches often have reasonably good views to the outside
  • Less riff-raff, absence of fat old mongers in speedos and wifebeaters, fewer whinging Brits and rude Germans, no local chapter of the Crypt Keepers Guild setting up shop daily in “their” section, no Thai moo bahn atmosphere
  • Younger, better mannered, international clientele, usually some good-looking women around. Chinese & Russians are lovin' Starbucks, so, no, it's NOT driving tourists away. 
  • Good 'nuff coffee, priced to attract and repel above various market segments
  • Mobile friendly, outlets conveniently placed
  • Blueberry cheesecake not bad, share with wife/gf = happy wife/gf
  • Standards reliably uniform throughout the chain; less charitably, homogeneous.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:23 AM, scubascuba3 said:

The simple answer is don't buy if things are over priced. I avoid those products and services

Or, save up and enjoy them for a nice splurge. At Christmas, say. 

On 12/16/2019 at 9:45 AM, Orton Rd said:

. . . sensible folk go to Amazon, 50 baht a cup

Yeah, Starbucks is right in front me but to save 100 baht I'm gonna hail a taxi, and spend 300 baht to go to and from the nearest Amazon at a petrol station. Brilliant.

On 12/16/2019 at 2:47 PM, AlQaholic said:

I have a little coffee machine at home. I fill it with coffee beans and water, it grinds the beans and makes percolated filtered coffee. It tastes wonderful and I have calculated, even with the most exclusive coffee beans, the production cost of a cup of coffee (same size as a Starbucks medium) is about 7 Baht.

No, I'm not gonna drink coffee only at home. Or beer. Or bourbon. 

On 12/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, MeePeeMai said:

I walked into a Starbucks in Austin Texas with my brother once.  Never mind the prices, It was like a freak show full of hipsters with pink, purple and green hair, nose rings, multiple body piercings and freakish styled mismatched clothing, socks and shoes.  It was a nightmare I don't wish to visit ever again.  5555

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Austin anymore. Chill.

On 12/16/2019 at 4:21 PM, Thechook said:

Come on, seriously it's disgusting coffee, does anyone actually drink the stuff.

Yep, had my regular, a double espresso, just the other day. Lubed the tubes like good old burnt motor oil should, too. I think I'm just gon' keep on drinking it, LOL. 

20 hours ago, The Theory said:

. . . but why should I pay for a shaving cream B200 (175g) that is actually B30 (280g) in US !!!  
because I’m farang and have beard to shave with no choice ?!!! 

Or maybe 'cause you don't want to pay B300 to have it shipped from the USA to Thailand? Shaving foam, actually, not cream.

13 minutes ago, BigStar said:
  • Convenient locations
  • Comfortable, relaxing, no hurry to leave 
  • Professionally courteous staff with some international sensitivity; products of corporate training program
  • Pleasant, or no, music, not Thai faves that staff play loudly for themselves
  • Tasteful décor & lighting, an understated caché
  • No servers bothering or ignoring when you want attention
  • Branches often have reasonably good views to the outside
  • Less riff-raff, absence of fat old mongers in speedos and wifebeaters, fewer whinging Brits and rude Germans, no local chapter of the Crypt Keepers Guild setting up shop daily in “their” section, no Thai moo bahn atmosphere
  • Younger, better mannered, international clientele, usually some good-looking women around. Chinese & Russians are lovin' Starbucks, so, no, it's NOT driving tourists away. 
  • Good 'nuff coffee, priced to attract and repel above various market segments
  • Mobile friendly, outlets conveniently placed
  • Blueberry cheesecake not bad, share with wife/gf = happy wife/gf
  • Standards reliably uniform throughout the chain; less charitably, homogeneous.

Or, save up and enjoy them for a nice splurge. At Christmas, say. 

Yeah, Starbucks is right in front me but to save 100 baht I'm gonna hail a taxi, and spend 300 baht to go to and from the nearest Amazon at a petrol station. Brilliant.

No, I'm not gonna drink coffee only at home. Or beer. Or bourbon. 

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Austin anymore. Chill.

Yep, had my regular, a double espresso, just the other day. Lubed the tubes like good old burnt motor oil should, too. I think I'm just gon' keep on drinking it, LOL. 

Or maybe 'cause you don't want to pay B300 to have it shipped from the USA to Thailand? Shaving foam, actually, not cream.

None of the above, I wouldn’t drink Starbucks “coffee” at any price. As a side point, looking at your list of dislikable nationalities, is there anyone you actually do like?

16 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Pleasant, or no, music, not Thai faves that staff play loudly for themselves

I must say that you list a nice selection of positives for the Starbucks stores, although my local one is suffering badly from lack of custom.

As for music, well I know a few folks who won't go there anymore because of the stupidly loud music that is played, and I know one particular guy who likes to enjoy his coffee whilst playing on his computer who has complained a number of times (as have I) and he has written/telephoned and sent emails to the Starbucks head office in Bangkok regarding the state of the music which is always far too loud, so much so that it's difficult to hear what other folks are saying........but to no avail.

I have had words with the manager and according to him, his head office dictates that he plays the music at a certain level and that's the end of the story. Or at least it was until I and a few others walked out after commenting again on the music, and now if I do go in there, and the music is too loud he turns it down, but only when asked to do so!!

He does not understand what "background music" is unfortunately.

Archived