Thais need to lower their prices: Starbucks coffee more in Thailand than Berlin

webfact

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’m not sure I’ll be relocating based on the price of a Big Mac! 

most of us consider the price of 10 beers and a ST to where we'll be heading in future. I may research that one..... wait for the results...

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

None of the above, I wouldn’t drink Starbucks “coffee” at any price. As a side point, looking at your list of dislikable nationalities, is there anyone you actually do like?

Among Westerners, I like Scandinavians best as more urbane and civilized, not to mention less bigoted. They speak English, too. Among Asians, I prefer Japanese for the best manners of all. 

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I must say that you list a nice selection of positives for the Starbucks stores, although my local one is suffering badly from lack of custom.

As for music, well I know a few folks who won't go there anymore because of the stupidly loud music that is played, and I know one particular guy who likes to enjoy his coffee whilst playing on his computer who has complained a number of times (as have I) and he has written/telephoned and sent emails to the Starbucks head office in Bangkok regarding the state of the music which is always far too loud, so much so that it's difficult to hear what other folks are saying........but to no avail.

I have had words with the manager and according to him, his head office dictates that he plays the music at a certain level and that's the end of the story. Or at least it was until I and a few others walked out after commenting again on the music, and now if I do go in there, and the music is too loud he turns it down, but only when asked to do so!!

He does not understand what "background music" is unfortunately.

Ha! Well, TIT eh. Once a rogue wannabe Thai DJ gets control of the sound system, there's not much to be done with him except go for a Thai solution--which would be risky. I've had my experiences over the years. To relate one: Not long ago I was sitting at a Beach Rd. beer bar watching the police stop motorcyclists when the manageress turned on loud Thai music. Not many customers; this was for her and the staff's entertainment. Asked her to turn it down or off. No! Told her I'd leave and also not pay a tip if she didn't. No care. I left. Onward and upward!????

On 12/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, meechai said:

Honestly we live in one of the most expensive US States

We stay in Thailand a few months every year

The only thing cheaper (for us) in Thailand is electricity

We don't rent/have a mortgage in either place

We don't really eat out in either place

Everything else is either same or more in Thailand

Could you really cook a healthy meal at home for two people in the US at less than a dollar?....you can here

I do have a favorite drink at Starbucks but It costs 120 THB. I can get 4, just as good, cups at my favorite local stall. There 1000s to choose from here in Chiang Mai. Roughly 20 within 1 km distance from my front door, not including dozens within the Big C and the 5 story Mall. If I were to widen the search area to 1.5 km I could say, without a doubt, over 100 coffee shops around me... none of which are Starbucks. 

3 minutes ago, ThaiBrian said:

I do have a favorite drink at Starbucks but It costs 120 THB. I can get 4, just as good, cups at my favorite local stall. There are 100 or even 1000s to choose from here in CM. I found a couple places I like within 1 km of my house.... counted like 20 within 1 km.

Even in Bangkok you can still find an espresso on the street for 20 baht or a cappuccino for 30/35 and in all probability it’ll knock spots off anything Starbucks churns out. There’s also the added bonus that you’re supporting local people.

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

Even in Bangkok you can still find an espresso on the street for 20 baht or a cappuccino for 30/35 and in all probability it’ll knock spots off anything Starbucks churns out. There’s also the added bonus that you’re supporting local people.

Exactly why I do it, to support people here trying to better their lives in this 3rd world country. The espressos I get are no different to what I am used to at Starbucks in the states. 30 baht for an ice cold 16 Ouncer. The ladies that run it know enough English to communicate with me... teach me a little bit of Thai while making the cup. I'm sure the employees at the Starbucks are getting paid well but I love the entrepreneur spirit and the fact that I am helping their family/friends/community instead of a large corporation headquartered in Seattle. 

5 hours ago, CH1961 said:

I don't want to live in Boston ... even the gasoline is cheaper there ????

So don’t , better to live in great weather from mid April to mid October in New England then Thailand. At the same time enjoy the best seafood ( lobsters 5/6$ a pound at supermarket ( and  they will boil them for you , same price ) oysters 50 cents a piece at restaurants, and yes gas about 19 baht a liter to get around! I can go on and on. Where do you live in that time of the year?  I’m sure I and many others wouldn’t want to live there!  So go paak yah cah in havaad yaad! 

The coffee is more$$ and how much is the server paid?...mmm I bet they work by day not by hour which should be on par with the min.wage for Berlin....1hr = 1day.

StarBucks are corporate whores and in my opinion the coffee is not that good.

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Could you really cook a healthy meal at home for two people in the US at less than a dollar?....you can here

Well you can cook a healthy meal for as much or little as you choose...I never said it was a race to the bottom.

I will say having lived in Thailand many years before I would not assume "healthy" unless you have lived in farm villages & seen

what goes into growing things or are growing your own produce

Here we do also grow our own vegetables & know what goes into/on ours ????

On December 16, 2019 at 3:55 AM, atyclb said:

driving a few minute outside of tourist zones = normal priced seafood and thai food in general

That's true, outside tourist areas prices are very reasonable.

problem is, tourists go to tourist areas, eat and drink in tourist areas. And pay huge. 

On December 16, 2019 at 4:33 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

What a load of....

Find me a big apartment in any european capital for the same price i pay here in BKK....impossible. 

The same i paid for a Studio with 30 sqm in Manhatten is what i pay for a penthouse in Sukhumvit...

In manhatten? I guess so, why not compare an apartment next to the Eiffel Tower, or downtown London, I paid over $1500canuck in downtown bkk, trendy condo, very pricey. Cheaper back home

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

a big mac in the USA is 5.74, UK 4.1 Thailand 3.86 all in us $. switzerland is the dearest at 6.54 and the lowest is Malaysia at 2.14 and russia at 2.04. and for those thinking of throwing the towel in and moving to cosat rica its 3.94, prices as of july 2019

Costa Rica is huge!!!! Very very expensive.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

Prices of almost everything in supermarkets higher than in the West.

Quality restaurants prices on pair with the West.

Staff wages 1/10 or 1/5 if they lucky

The difference goes to the top

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/12/article/thailands-five-families-prop-and-imperil-prayut/

Interesting read, thank you. 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I find it always hilarious how much fresh seafood cost in places like Phuket. They probably sell it with 1000% margin. And then they are somehow surprised that people don't buy it because they don't want to get ripped off. 

And beer at about 400% - 500% (Over the 7/11 prices).  Wholesale prices I don't know.

3 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Who is stupid enough to go to $hitbucks anyway ?

If you want sit inside for a few hours, with A/C and in a nice atmosphere, nothing beat Starbucks, you don't go there only for the coffee. 

On 12/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, Ireland32 said:

7/11 are cheap, I would never purchase in the West 7/11 too expensive 

7/11 has a brilliant model here. They charge a few baht more than the grocery stores, and offer convenience. In the West, 7/11 is stunningly overpriced. And that is part of the reason there are so many here. In addition to all of the other payment services they offer, which are not even dreamed of in the US, the land that got left behind. 

On 12/16/2019 at 2:30 PM, yankee99 said:

Well all the big ticket items are more expensive in the usa. Property taxes, health insurance, auto insurance, internet, cell phones, cable tv, car renewal, school tax, restaurants etc etc.. 

You left out labor. The cost of labor is silly in the US. Do body shops really deserve to make $350 an hour? How about auto mechanics? Plumbers, appliance repairmen, and electricians at $150 an hour? Inane.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, bkk6060 said:

So it is housing, food, and your cigs are cheaper.

Don't forget gasoline, electric, water, transportation, and girls.

Geez, what is left tell us that is more expensive here then the UK??

Delicious Kidney pie?

Used the right way electric on economy 7 night rate I would say they are about the same as the uk.also it clean reliable electricity where it don't drop in voltage and blow up your 55 inch TVs,inverter air con units,led bulbs,computers like ive had.water is fairly cheap but the sewage charge,tax don't help.you pay for what you get in the uk and it's reliable clean supply.food (not Thai) is cheap,clothing is cheaper.ive seen some imported items up to 7 times the price of the uk here in Thailand.lets not forget the quality and life expectancy of a lot items sold here are pathetic.im forever fixing or throwing things away.ive had more electric shocks in the last 5 yrs than in the 50 yrs before that.lets not also forget most warranties run out as soon as you've handed over the cash.

15 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So don’t , better to live in great weather from mid April to mid October in New England then Thailand. At the same time enjoy the best seafood ( lobsters 5/6$ a pound at supermarket ( and  they will boil them for you , same price ) oysters 50 cents a piece at restaurants, and yes gas about 19 baht a liter to get around! I can go on and on. Where do you live in that time of the year?  I’m sure I and many others wouldn’t want to live there!  So go paak yah cah in havaad yaad! 

I do miss the seafood, the best.

14 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

In manhatten? I guess so, why not compare an apartment next to the Eiffel Tower, or downtown London, I paid over $1500canuck in downtown bkk, trendy condo, very pricey. Cheaper back home

How is downtown Bangkok different to downtown london??? They are both the goddamn capital of a country and the business center and the most expensive places to stay. Comparing them makes absolute sense.

How is that pricey for one of the biggest cities in the world, for one of the business centers of asia... jeez. it's not. It's dirt cheap.

Go away comparing ur village home to a megacity.

You don't get anything for that in Nyc, Paris, London and co. Litterally not a single apartment in Manhatten on the market for that price, and that part of NYC is damn big.

If you want to compare villages than compare rural udon thani with your home, and still housing here is cheaper than anywhere else in the west.

You can literally build a new house in udon thani here for 2 mio baht, have fun building a house for 60k usd anywhere in the USA or Europe...

nyc.png

And it's not just the Starbucks!

Even a 30 baht fried rice. If you were on 300 baht a day, you could buy 10. 

Where I come from, on minimum wage, I could get about 15 full English breakfasts for a day's wage.

Now, let's not forget that the fried rice is basically just rice, oil, salt, sugar, MSG, and an egg (maybe a little ham). Whereas the full English is like 2 sausage, 2 bacon, an egg, beans, toast, tea.

Archived