Video: Farang goes viral dancing to Thai music at a funeral

webfact

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What a total douchebag. Appearently he have no clue about that that he is dancing to music played at a burial ceremony, or he is just one of those despicable persons that just do not care about his behaviour.

When I see this bad behaviour and disrespect to Thai culture, tradition and people I truly feel ashamed being a person of the caucasian race.

I guess you've never made a mistake?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What a total douchebag. Appearently he have no clue about that that he is dancing to music played at a burial ceremony, or he is just one of those despicable persons that just do not care about his behaviour.

When I see this bad behaviour and disrespect to Thai culture, tradition and people I truly feel ashamed being a person of the caucasian race.

Yeah, your right. But on the bright side, it shows black folks that whites can actually dance! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I agree with you completely.

Thais do not dance at funerals and most time wear appropriate clothing- dark clothes - not short pants and flip flops.

It's no wonder Thai people sometimes  look at foreigners with disgust.  They won't confront you but their eyes tell the tale.  

Yeah, foreigners can be ignorant about that stuff. Just when Team Farang one a point last week for saving that old BKK guy via CPR, we had to lose face with this talented dancer who brought the right moves to the wrong music and the wrong place. haha. The media has been kind to him. A change of tide for Thai media's feelings towards foreigners? 

I find it difficult to believe he had no clue it was a funeral.To start with,he knows for sure he is in a temple,no one can claim he did not realise that coming in shorts and beach slippers to a place of worship and dancing in such a gay way is a disgraceful mocking of the tradition and believes of the people hosting him.My point is:funeral or not,what kind of person would take it for granted that he can do whatever pleases him regardless of the feelings and reactions of a whole nation.Some people are so selfish and senseless that they simply can't see that whole lot of "others".If you want to buy the story of "he did not know what he was doing",see the man in the first minute of the video.That person stopped to ralk to him and was pointing to the temple in a way that shows he was drawing his attention that there was an event going on here.Last point: the lay out of the place;chairs in raws,flowers,women passing by in black,all in all gives additional reason not to believe the "ge didn't know" bull <deleted>.

• Confused 1

I don't see any real big deal with this.  Thai people party for any reason including funerals.  Sometimes they party for days while drinking, gambling and yes dancing. When I was in Chiang Mai I heard the loud speakers playing from a truck as it carried a body ready for cremation. There were about 30 people dancing to the music behind the flower laden truck.  It too was thinking, <deleted>?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, loll said:

I find it difficult to believe he had no clue it was a funeral.To start with,he knows for sure he is in a temple,no one can claim he did not realise that coming in shorts and beach slippers to a place of worship and dancing in such a gay way is a disgraceful mocking of the tradition and believes of the people hosting him.My point is:funeral or not,what kind of person would take it for granted that he can do whatever pleases him regardless of the feelings and reactions of a whole nation.Some people are so selfish and senseless that they simply can't see that whole lot of "others".If you want to buy the story of "he did not know what he was doing",see the man in the first minute of the video.That person stopped to ralk to him and was pointing to the temple in a way that shows he was drawing his attention that there was an event going on here.Last point: the lay out of the place;chairs in raws,flowers,women passing by in black,all in all gives additional reason not to believe the "ge didn't know" bull <deleted>.

Doesn't look like he was at the funeral. Looks like the point in the ceremony where the coffin is in one of the temple buildings, usually in a fridge, and mourners sit round paying their respects.

He was having a mooch round the temple grounds with his mate, heard the music and had a dance. Probably wasn't even seen by the mourners.

If I was visiting a temple as a tourist, I would always wear shorts. Not a problem.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

That's like a sort of delayed wake. 

At all the funerals I've been too, there's never been booze, gambling, dancing girls and partying. People dress in black (mainly), white or neutral colors but always conservatively and respectfully. There's usually some food offered and taken. Respects are paid to the deceased, often placing flowers, or little wooded things prior to burning. All quite solemn.

Celebrating the live and passing, as you describe, comes later after what could be considered an appropriate period of mourning.

Yes the actual cremation is a solemn affair but the days leading up to it is full on cards and drinking from my experience. Not too many long faces at that point in the ritual.

Maybe it was his Mother in law's funeral? Wouldn't be the first like to celebrate that.

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

We feel the same way.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, johng said:

At many Thai funerals there will be loud music,alcohol and gambling..I'm pretty sure no one cared much or was offended by a dancing foreigner.

I have on a number of occasions been present at the cremation ceremony and seen and heard the attendees including monks talking and using mobile phones 

I have formed the opinion that it is not treated as such a solom occasion as in the West