To intervene or not? Man dies after trying to break up quarrel

webfact

To intervene or not? Man dies after trying to break up quarrel

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A man who tried to intervene in an argument between a man and his girlfriend was stabbed to death in Bangkok last night.

Now the couple have disappeared as police try to find them. 

Violence erupted near the end of Petchaburi Road Soi 22 in Bangkok around 9.30 pm. A man was arguing with the female owner of a spicy salad (yam) stall next to a mobile phone shop. 

The man was Manit, 39, and the woman was his Vietnamese girlfriend called An. 

Nui, 28, said he had finished work and gone to see his friend at the mobile shop. A group of five people were drinking outside the shop that is next to the yam stall. 

Manit arrived and there was trouble but it subsided. However it flared up again and several of the drinkers in the group tried to intervene. 

Manit picked up an eight inch knife and went for all of them. Khajornjit, 37, didn't flee in time and was stabbed twice in the side and twice in the chest. 

The knife was found at the end of the soi. Manit disappeared on a motorcycle and his girlfriend An is missing too. 

Nui said that the man with the knife had yelled: "Don't interfere - it's between me and her". 

Khajornjit did interfere and paid with his life. Police and rescue services found him barely alive at the scene and he later succumbed in Rathchawithi Hospital. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-16

1 minute ago, rayluttman said:

I have been living here for twenty years and would never intervene  it always ends badly especially if you're a farang.

I agree. Once i intervened to stop a fight between 2 Thai neighbours, and i ended up being hated by both of them.

Not sure i would do that again ????

30 minutes ago, ezzra said:

For me, if i see two thais quarreling i let it be, not my place to intervene specially when not knowing who's the aggressor and who's the other guy...

Funny thing is, most weapons training for cvilians emphasizes that you generally NOT intervene in even violent disputes if you yourself are carrying a weapon. 

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

Violence erupted near the end of Petchaburi Road Soi 22 in Bangkok around 9.30 pm. A man was arguing with the female owner of a spicy salad (yam) stall next to a mobile phone shop. 

The man was Manit, 39, and the woman was his Vietnamese girlfriend called An.

At the same time they charge the man for murder, they can also charge his vietnamese girlfriend for selling spicy salad/yam without work permit due to that is a work only allowed for Thais.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Sad to say, it really is best here to keep right out of any form of aggravation whatsoever, regardless of who is involved. Doing the right thing is highly likely to see you hurt or worse.

Totally agree and I have seen fights here on a few occasions and have been tempted to intervene, especially where the numbers are not even, but then recall the number of times I have seen completely innocent bystanders being set upon just because they thought they might be able to help.

There is no rhyme nor reason to some of these quarrels and fights, so better to stay away completely or perhaps risk losing one's life.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sad to say, it really is best here to keep right out of any form of aggravation whatsoever, regardless of who is involved. Doing the right thing is highly likely to see you hurt or worse.

Agree however we all Carry phones that can record from a distance come on use some intelligence a guy is freakin’ dead now !!!

A good friend died this exact way on New Year's eve, more than 30 years ago.  He was a good guy who was always helping people.  The really infuriating part was the woman he was trying to help turned on him and helped her boyfriend kill him. 

The woman never did jail time.  The man was back on the streets in less than 2 years.

27 minutes ago, dddave said:

A good friend died this exact way on New Year's eve, more than 30 years ago.  He was a good guy who was always helping people.  The really infuriating part was the woman he was trying to help turned on him and helped her boyfriend kill him. 

The woman never did jail time.  The man was back on the streets in less than 2 years.

This is common, and advice from a policeman friend was not to get involved in couple fights. And sometimes the woman is more angry and violent, people just see them fighting, and the man is trying to protect himself.

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

What if it's between your wife and her son you will stand by and watch?Never is a big word when misused.

A lover's quarrel in public is one of my favourite forms of free entertainment. The best one I ever witnessed was on a public bus in the rush hour, between a couple arguing about the number and make-up of the wedding guests

At my age I will step back and not interfere, the odds are very much in favour of the younger man. Many ,many years ago I did interfere and ended up in Casualty with broken fingers and a large Policeman warning me to get my story right as I could be charged with GBH, the only instance in my life where I could say , you should see the other chap.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Learned my lesson many years ago in the UK. First time was walking with a group of friends and we heard a female screaming from down an alleyway. People looking but doing nothing. 5 of us went down the alley into a big square. Lad had a girl pinned in the corner. We surrounded him and asked if she was o k - she spewed the most vitriolic obscene verbal attack on us and told us to f'off. Which we did.

Second time I was walking in the city center about 3.30 am after finishing working at a night club with one of my mates. We saw a man hitting a lady who was sitting on the floor screaming and crying. Over we went. My mate told the man to stop, he drunkenly swung at my mate, who was stone cold sober, and got floored with one punch. The woman jumped up, took her shoe off and started laying into my mate. The police told us this was a regular occurrence with drunk couples.

Nowadays, with telecoms as they are, call the police and film for evidence to help them. Put your life on the line and you may well loose and get little thanks.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This why you see so many Thais standing by taking a video or photo... they know all too well what can happen if you step into another persons quarrel.

Worth saying that it's not only in Thailand where getting involved in an altercation between strangers can be dangerous. Back in the States my one-time roommate pushed a drunk guy after seeing him slap a woman on the sidewalk after the bars closed late at night. The drunk laid into him, and roomie stumbled home with a broken jaw, broken nose, several broken teeth and eyes so swollen he could barely see. I took him straight to the ER but his face has never looked the same. 

8 hours ago, dddave said:

From what I understand is that a domestic situation is the one most hated by police. The perps hate each other in the heat of the moment then suddenly hate everyone else when they step in.

When the Thais lose face, it is really them losing control of their emotions and they

go into a rage. That is when it is dangerous to even be around them. Best thing to do is

move away to another place and let them cool down. Been there, see that happen.

I have never tried to help any who are fighting other than get out of their way.

Geezer

Archived