Chinese tourist dies after collapsing in water on day trip to Coral Island

webfact

Chinese tourist dies after collapsing in water on day trip to Coral Island

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1576468557_1-org.jpg

People look on as a dive instructor who happened to be nearby administers CPR to Mr Dong on the beach at Coral Island yesterday afternoon (Dec 15). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A Chinese tourist has died after collapsing in the water while on a day trip to Koh Hei, better known as Coral Island, off Phuket’s southeast coast yesterday (Dec 15).

Lt Jaruwit Khuncharoen of the Chalong Police was notified of the incident at 2:45pm.

According to the police report by Lt Jaruwit, the Chinese tourist, Dong Jun, 56, from Yunnan, was on a day trip to Coral Island with his wife when he was found choking in shallow beach water.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-dies-after-collapsing-in-water-on-day-trip-to-coral-island-74005.php#uKq8EFPW7cLIgUaI.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-16

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A Chinese tourist has died after collapsing in the water while on a day trip to Koh Hei, better known as Coral Island, off Phuket’s southeast coast yesterday (Dec 15)

Chinese will give Thailand a bad name soon.

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Chinese will give Thailand a bad name soon.

they are already doing it.... some Chinese news channels advertised Chinese not to travel to unfriendly/dangerous Thailand.... TAT should start to revise their estimates

last week TAT posted about expecting a 7% increase on arrivals and they also expected quantity of Chinese tourists to double over the next 10 years.... again TAT and their fake estimates, I would bet it will be the other way around drop of Chinese to be down to 70-80% or more

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well that's Chinese tourist figures cattle trucked for a couple more years then.

RIP to the poor man and his family, only 56, dear oh dear.

I wonder what the cause was ? Too many Prawns at the buffet, sorry a bit too harsh.:sorry:

Almost certainly cardiac arrest...heart attack...is practically impossible to revive on a beach, or anywhere else. When a pre-existing conditions lead to cardiac arrest it's usually lights out regardless of what you see on television.

Unconcious due to water inhalation is a different story and can have a good outcome. Not always 'good' in every sense but life may be preserved. Been involved in a couple of childhood drownings. Kids survived, but we're never the same again. Think slow in the pre PC era.

The body is an amazing thing but the brain needs oxygen. Even when the brains shuts down, to use a phrase, and stops sending the signal for the heart to beat, the heart had its own internal clock that keeps it beating at a slower frequency. That is enough to confirm life but the person is not conscious. Brain damage usually starts from there, as was the case with the two kids I was involved with. It's quite scary as nobody makes a sound when the drown. Logically they cannot as the lungs fill with water , not air.

While I'm on my dribbling rant....a lot of people think the AED device that you may see in a supermarket or mall actually starts your heart. Wrong ...it stops your heart, from fibrillating. That is the condition where the heart is going out of control and spasmining at a crazy rate but not pumping blood. The AED stops this. Then the signal from the brain tells the Heart to start beating again. If that signal is not there.....you are dead.

There are no miracles.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Almost certainly cardiac arrest...heart attack...is practically impossible to revive on a beach, or anywhere else. When a pre-existing conditions lead to cardiac arrest it's usually lights out regardless of what you see on television.

Unconcious due to water inhalation is a different story and can have a good outcome. Not always 'good' in every sense but life may be preserved. Been involved in a couple of childhood drownings. Kids survived, but we're never the same again. Think slow in the pre PC era.

The body is an amazing thing but the brain needs oxygen. Even when the brains shuts down, to use a phrase, and stops sending the signal for the heart to beat, the heart had its own internal clock that keeps it beating at a slower frequency. That is enough to confirm life but the person is not conscious. Brain damage usually starts from there, as was the case with the two kids I was involved with. It's quite scary as nobody makes a sound when the drown. Logically they cannot as the lungs fill with water , not air.

While I'm on my dribbling rant....a lot of people think the AED device that you may see in a supermarket or mall actually starts your heart. Wrong ...it stops your heart, from fibrillating. That is the condition where the heart is going out of control and spasmining at a crazy rate but not pumping blood. The AED stops this. Then the signal from the brain tells the Heart to start beating again. If that signal is not there.....you are dead.

There are no miracles.

This is as true as I write this, on my kids lives, one Easter Good Friday many years ago, I and a few mates were in our small local hostelry in a small Essex village, after a long and hard afternoon the crowd had thinned out, the kitchen was closed but the place was still busy, next thing the landlord just dropped to the floor like a bag of cement, I got to him first, cleared his airway, undid his tie, and proceeded with CPR, someone phoned 999 for an ambulance / Paramedic and another guy went and found the resident St Johns Ambulance trainer ( he worked for the commercial section delivering packages to businesses) 

Long story short, Mick and I kept working on the guy, the paramedics got there and pumped his heart full of Adrenalin and zapped him a few times, they got him back, after a week or so in the local hospital he was allowed out but had to go back to have a pacemaker fitted.

A few days later my oppo Mick informed me that those with pacemakers don't normally get above 18 months and in this case he was right.

As the paramedics carried Keith to the ambulance some wag shouted " Save him a Hot Cross bun " he'll be back on Monday.

True story.

Archived