BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand explores possibility of FTA with the UK after Tories’ victory

8 hours ago, petermik said:

Will this remove the ridiculously high import tariffs currently charged on UK goods here........:whistling:

7 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Nah, not a hope. 

We can but dream...........:cheesy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petermik said:

Will this remove the ridiculously high import tariffs currently charged on UK goods here........:whistling:

I doubt it

Edited by Redline

2 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Nah, not a hope. 

As some of you may know I buy proteins from Thailand (not as much as I used to) and to give you a few examples, I would expect prices on cooked frozen prawns to drop by at least 20% and value-added chicken (think nuggets) to drop 15%.

This is of course based on retailers passing on the savings to their customers.

Whether you agree with it or not, the EU is a protectionist movement.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

As some of you may know I buy proteins from Thailand (not as much as I used to) and I would expect prices on cooked frozen prawns to drop by at least 20% and value-added chicken (think nuggets) to drop 15%.

Whether you agree with it or not, the EU is a protectionist movement.

The EU has, and probably always will, protect certain industries that are dear to certain influential member countries.

Side issue that maybe of interest. A lot of Middle Eastern wealthy business people I know were investing in Spanish fishing fleets. As well as in other food producing businesses around the world.

• Like 1

If it could result in the cheese shop from Monty Python sketch (but with inventory, duh). I'm all in. Fear it could be like duty free shops: perhaps no tax but more than made up in excessive profit

A reciprocal  agreement on pensions and inflation giving Thai's in the UK pensions  would be good. That's what the EU will be negotiating  and the US already  has. If Boris wants a Canada + deal Canadian UK pensioners could also benefit.

3 hours ago, petermik said:

Yes, but prices will be kept the same by the retailers as that's what people are willing to pay.

• Like 1