Thailand explores possibility of FTA with the UK after Tories’ victory

webfact

2 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Nah, not a hope. 

As some of you may know I buy proteins from Thailand (not as much as I used to) and to give you a few examples, I would expect prices on cooked frozen prawns to drop by at least 20% and value-added chicken (think nuggets) to drop 15%.

This is of course based on retailers passing on the savings to their customers.

Whether you agree with it or not, the EU is a protectionist movement.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

As some of you may know I buy proteins from Thailand (not as much as I used to) and I would expect prices on cooked frozen prawns to drop by at least 20% and value-added chicken (think nuggets) to drop 15%.

The EU has, and probably always will, protect certain industries that are dear to certain influential member countries.

Side issue that maybe of interest. A lot of Middle Eastern wealthy business people I know were investing in Spanish fishing fleets. As well as in other food producing businesses around the world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Ms. Auramon Supthaweethum, Director-General of Department of Trade Negotiations, said the Department of Trade Negotiations plans to study benefits and impacts from the prospective UK leaving the European Union and conduct the hearings from all parties involved in order to formulate a strategy on FTA with the UK

Does that mean the ridiculous tariffs on UK goods now will be removed?
Noticing anything in the supermarket which is imported is way too pricey.

It will involve gifts for BJ

1. A comb with instructions for use embossed on one side.

2. Some shirts that stay tucked in

3. Tags for his forefingers to remind him he has 2 of them no matter what the image consultants say. Thumbs don't count.

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

All FTA in Thailand are a one way deal as far as the Thais are concerned.

Correct. All FTA's are FOWTA's (Free One-Way Trade Agreements). Reciprocity is not something that Thais do well. Same as honesty and genuine smiles that don't remind you of a piranha.

Edited by ParkerN

7 hours ago, barnsleyman said:

I hope the Thai Government asks if the UK Ex-pats here, can have the State Pension increases every April,same as the Ex-Pats who live in Spain etc. after all said and done, they will be out of Europe  after January 31st the same as we are here in Thailand.

Or maybe ask for the same treatment as Australian pensioners.

A lot of people who retired early to Thailand now have to go back and live in Australia for two years to be eligible to receive the pension overseas.

I can understand why the government did that as Oz has a very high level of ageing immigrants who take the money and time. But geez for a bloke who has worked for 45 plus years??

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

As some of you may know I buy proteins from Thailand (not as much as I used to) and to give you a few examples, I would expect prices on cooked frozen prawns to drop by at least 20% and value-added chicken (think nuggets) to drop 15%.

This is of course based on retailers passing on the savings to their customers.

Not sure what you are saying?

You expect the prices of prawns imported from Thailand to drop??

Or chicken nuggets imported into Thailand to drop in price?

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

All FTA in Thailand are a one way deal as far as the Thais are concerned.

Ah right, so Thailand forces one way FTAs on other countries, really?

Thailand is a signatory to many FTAs - AFTA being a major one but there are many many others.   So let me get this straight, Thailand signs an FTA with ASEAN (AFTA), but only Thailand gets the benefits?  So the rest of ASEAN are morons?

Thailand has FTAs with Australia and Japan (amongst many other countries).  Those countries just let Thailand walk all over them and they are "one way FTAs"?  Please explain your reasoning.  Just because Vegemite is still expensive here you take that to mean the FTAs aren't fair?  Seriously?  Do you think they are signed after a chat and a couple of pints?

Honestly the amount of paranoid, anti Thai rubbish that people post on here is astonishing.  

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Not sure what you are saying?

You expect the prices of prawns imported from Thailand to drop??

Or chicken nuggets imported into Thailand to drop in price?

I expect both prawn & chicken products (exported from Thailand into the UK) to drop

• 4 months later...
On 12/16/2019 at 1:20 PM, barnsleyman said:

I hope the Thai Government asks if the UK Ex-pats here, can have the State Pension increases every April,same as the Ex-Pats who live in Spain etc. after all said and done, they will be out of Europe  after January 31st the same as we are here in Thailand.

barnsleyman remind me to buy you a beer sir what a wonderful idea it is of course in Los interest