Grinding tempered glass

Andrew Dwyer

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Where does the extra shelf come from? You have a matching twin? 

I bought 2 ( the same ) to go in the niche but the niche tapers slightly and I didn’t think I could grind it so I put it in another bathroom.

Now I’m thinking ???? “ wish I had another shelf in that niche “ hence my question , and if it can be done I’ll buy another.

It is the surface that holds it all together. You should be able to grind/file the edges. BUT I wouldn't use a grinding disc that cuts up or down onto the surface. I think a belt sand that cuts into an edge would be OK? 

Dremel with a diamond bit? Again cutting along the edge not down onto the surface

No direct experience just thinking about the physics.

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

How would lowering that one help ?

I don’t understand your reasoning .

441AC5F6-5C1B-4EA1-A6AE-EDD63056D350.thumb.jpeg.209513a31705c87571ce9088172399cf.jpeg

Had you shown this picture to start, I would not have said that. Not an excuse but I had a terrible day buying bras, after that I wasnt thinking clearly

You might try placing in at angle and then carefully tapping with a rubber mallet until it goes into position.  That might crunch the tile a bit or break the glass ???? but grinding or trying to cut is not likely to work out well anyway.  

28 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Had you shown this picture to start, I would not have said that. Not an excuse but I had a terrible day buying bras, after that I wasnt thinking clearly

Okay, if it’s any consolation once you have decided you need a bra buying them is not too bad, you are over the worst . ????

27 minutes ago, Denim said:

If you put the second shelf on the tile grout line it might be easier to grind out the grout line than risk damaging the glass.

Unfortunately the lower grout line is too low and the higher too high ☹️
Ideally it needs to be half way down the tile as the lower shelf.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just to tidy this thread up I bit the bullet and bought another shelf ( 500 baht ).

I wrapped it in an old sheet with only the end showing, touched on lightly and removed the minimum necessary, it took me a couple of goes but did work.

C10DA053-73A6-4F4E-9AC7-76D71B940995.thumb.jpeg.723eb5b003229f16a08e5d57beef441a.jpeg

As you can see the out of square of the tiling caused the problem.

92DA2492-8250-4A57-AB86-9FDD9C806231.thumb.jpeg.661638fc4691cdeb493857dfdf767efe.jpeg

I used a regular polishing wheel in a 4” grinder.

If it had been a lot to take off I would have probably looked into buying a piece to size.

Archived